Encouraged friends to look at DVC and they ignored our advice - bought direct at a resort they don't know anything about

They will be in for a rude awakening when they try to book non home resort for F&W at 7 months and there is no availability and then they realize RIV is already booked as well.

Agreed. This is what I am worried about but I have really been emphasizing this. Or trying to.

If it’s within rescission time you could tell them that can still switch to another resort and still buy direct at blt etc. as it much less $ if they don’t plan to stay much at riv.

Yes, we tried to suggest this but "its so much cheaper per point" at RIV.

Now, I know they didn’t really follow your first bit of advice, but I would still let them know booking a “backup res” at their home resort is always the best plan when wanting a 7-month booking. That’s a mistake they likely won’t make more than once- and they’ll thank you for the warning ☺

This is a really good piece of advice: I should make sure they know to have a home resort booking as a backup plan.

Well, in truth, most resorts currently have 2 bedroom dedicateds available at 7 months, the studio would definitely be a problem, which could also impact lock-off availability. And if 50 years of ownership is more important to them than price per point, they made the right decision for themselves. That said, for visiting every-other year, resale would likely have done them just about as much good, since they'll really have no use for the major benefit of the AP discount or shopping discounts. But if they're happy with their purchase, congratulate them, and let them enjoy it.

You sound like a great friend. You gave them all the information, and they chose not to listen to you.

If they're spending that much on hotel rooms, maybe this level of money just doesn't concern them.

There are some theoretical perks, like being able to book the future properties (future DL tower!), or a really long term to leave to your kids or something. I might stick to those, if you're going to have more conversations about this.

here's nothing else we could have done, right?
They are adults. Assuming they have computer access, they would also have the ability to research this hefty purchase. There is nothing else that you can do. I mean if they can spend $15K on a room then maybe the $30K+ they just spend really is a savings for them. Riviera really looks like a beautiful resort, so they may be very happy staying there. I think the only negative to that resort is the resale value (oh and the crazy inflated points charts).

Just wipe your mind of any guilt and you can talk about the other benefits of owning DVC with them.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/e...resort-they-dont-know-anything-about.3787650/
that is the link to this page. send it to them

If they are planning on swithcing all the time, then they paid 10K more than they had to. Maybe its not a lot of money to them.

If I had that little clue about what I was buying (Where is Riviera???) I would want a friend to beat me til I rescinded, but thats just me.

It is not on you at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter