Encouraged friends to look at DVC and they ignored our advice - bought direct at a resort they don't know anything about

SarahInMN

Drink your wine with a cheerful heart
We own BCV resale and VGF direct. We have friends who have a kid and wanted a 2 bedroom MK location for a week every other year during F&W (one set of grandparents always accompany them). We encouraged them to look resale after we found out they were going to pay rack rates to stay at a 2 BR villa at VGF for a week in October 2020 (around 15K for the room): they previously paid rack rates for a BWI 2 BR during F&W a few years ago as well when they went with us. We explained the buy where you want to stay, explained the 7 month vs 11 month booking window, explained the seasonality (ie busy vs not busy seasons) in terms of booking seasons, explained resale restrictions with Riviera etc. We tried, we really tried to explain "buy where you want to stay" and how hard it is to trade out during highly desired seasons at 7 months.

They just texted us saying they bought 175 points at Riviera but they don't intend ever staying there because they can stay anywhere else at 7 months for a week every other year in a 2 bedroom. Their guide gave them the impression those 175 points are enough to stay in any 2 bedroom and "all the other resorts" use less points than Riviera. Bay Lake points were "way more" expensive than Riviera and the "22 year expiration" at Bay Lake vs the 50 year at Riviera. Then they called us and asked "where is Riviera anyways." I'm pretty sure they didn't even look at the points charts or resources especially since they believed that BLT expires 22 years from now.

I feel guilty. We encouraged them to look at DVC, they ignored our advice, and I have a horrible feeling they are going to be disappointed with how they are able (or not able) to use their points. My husband pointed out they chose to ignore our advice. There's nothing else we could have done, right?

Maybe they'll end up loving Riviera. Once they figure out where it is.

Last edited:
There's nothing for you to feel guilty about. Your know-it-all friends were too prideful to listen to good advice, so now they will suffer.

They clearly didn't value your advice, else they would have put more weight on it vs. the guide's (a salesperson) advice. Do not feel bad.

All you can do is present to them the information about DVC and it sounds like you gave them a lot of great advice,

If F&W is a time they want to go, at the very least, they will learn that RIV is not a bad place to own for that. It isnt an MK resort, but at least they ended up with something that will give them ease,

They will certainly have to learn how It works in practice and hopefully, wont find it frustrating or will end up at RIV for a stay and realize it fits their needs

The truth is I used to be a big time supporter of DVC. That ended in Jan of 2019. Now if asked I advise to be wary and look at all the issues - cost, dues, resale restrictions, buying direct vs buying resale. I find myself more often than not actually advising against buying. I love my points and have no intentions of selling, but this is a different time with different factors.

If they spend that much without research that ain't on you. Promise.

Smile and congratulate them.
Perfect advice :)
And if differences in DVC choices were discussed, I'd refer to them as personal preferences. You shared your personal preferences with them; they chose their own.

Sounds like they have enough money to buy another contract if the need arises anyway ;)

Thanks! That is really, really good advice.

If F&W is a time they want to go, at the very least, they will learn that RIV is not a bad place to own for that.

Also a very good point!

I think what kills me is they fell for the “you can stay anywhere, you’ll never have to stay at Riv” shtick after I tried so hard to explain availability at 7 months.

I just hope they end up happy with their purchase.

Thanks guys!

The truth is I used to be a big time supporter of DVC. That ended in Jan of 2019. Now if asked I advise to be wary and look at all the issues - cost, dues, resale restrictions, buying direct vs buying resale. I find myself more often than not actually advising against buying. I love my points and have no intentions of selling, but this is a different time with different factors.

I don't know how you can tell people not to buy but you love and enjoy your DVC.

To the OP: They listened to you they bought in they just didn't buy what you wanted them too. You obviously gave them enough info given they bought so you should be happy so they did take some of your advice.

Thanks! That is really, really good advice.

Also a very good point!

I think what kills me is they fell for the “you can stay anywhere, you’ll never have to stay at Riv” shtick after I tried so hard to explain availability at 7 months.

I just hope they end up happy with their purchase.

Thanks guys!
They will be in for a rude awakening when they try to book non home resort for F&W at 7 months and there is no availability and then they realize RIV is already booked as well.

I don't know how you can tell people not to buy but you love and enjoy your DVC.

To the OP: They listened to you they bought in they just didn't buy what you wanted them too. You obviously gave them enough info given they bought so you should be happy so they did take some of your advice.
I assume the price and rules have changed substantially since the PP bought in. I assume the price the Pp bought in at make it a great value for PO but when looking at current prices and rules the PP doesn’t see the same value.

I have come to the opinion that with the exception of a couple of resorts, it makes more financial sense to rent points than buy the points.

If it’s within rescission time you could tell them that can still switch to another resort and still buy direct at blt etc. as it much less $ if they don’t plan to stay much at riv. Anyway.
But they likely got caught up in the sales pitch.
otherwise I agree with others. And just say congrats.

Why?

I’ve kind of done the same with my cousin. IMO the window for them to have purchased closed a couple years ago. Now they would just be annoyed at the restrictions. They still quote the cost that the husbands dad paid at contemporary in 1982 or something like that...they’d never go for buying direct prices OR the restrictions now. And they know that I don’t have such restrictions, so it would be right in their faces.

It's not necessarily 'bad' either. Some people don't agonize over purchases as much as others. There are advantages/disadvantages to both styles dependent on other factors. Personally I like to agonize, lol.

Good point. Everyone approaches things differently The only plus I see is that these buyers are looking for 2 bedrooms. That might help with their ability to change at 7 months. Just hopefully they will understand to book RIV at 11 months. If not, they will learn quickly how important that is!

Well there's a bit more availability for switching in September and food and wine is still going on then. So they will have the choice of learning to love Rivera or vacationing earlier than they originally planned. Unfortunately, there's nothing else you could have done. It is always tough to hear about people who are given misinformation from guides and buy in based on that.

Reading the story, I knew it was going to go pear-shaped, but your ending...
Maybe they'll end up loving Riviera. Once they figure out where it is.
Priceless!! 😆

Absolutely. That is the best advice! I’m sure they want to share their excitement with you 🎉

If F&W is a time they want to go, at the very least, they will learn that RIV is not a bad place to own for that. It isnt an MK resort, but at least they ended up with something that will give them ease,
They could end up very pleasantly surprised!

The way they vacationed before says money is not an issue... and they appreciate luxury stays. I sincerely hope it all works out for them and they really enjoy the Riviera (and some other resorts too!)!

Now, I know they didn’t really follow your first bit of advice, but I would still let them know booking a “backup res” at their home resort is always the best plan when wanting a 7-month booking. That’s a mistake they likely won’t make more than once- and they’ll thank you for the warning ☺️

I feel guilty. We encouraged them to look at DVC, they ignored our advice, and I have a horrible feeling they are going to be disappointed with how they are able (or not able) to use their points. My husband pointed out they chose to ignore our advice. There's nothing else we could have done, right?

Don't feel guilty. You tried your best. Look at the bright side - you now have friends you can trade RIV points with!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts