Emotional Support Dog

I know the hotel has to be pet friendly we never travel with out our baby. I didnt know that.
I know they cant refuse in a living situation.

Last edited:
I know the hotel has to be pet friendly we never travel with out our baby. I didnt know that.
I know they cant refuse in a living situation.
A living situation is pretty much the only place an ESA cannot be refused and even then there are loopholes. Since they are not considered service animals under ADA (which are allowed anywhere), an ESA can be refused/denied anywhere else and subject to pet fees. As long as you stick to pet friendly areas, it should be fine.

I guess we have been lucky not knowing the full rules, and hotel staff not caring. The vest seems to really help

A living situation is pretty much the only place an ESA cannot be refused and even then there are loopholes. Since they are not considered service animals under ADA (which are allowed anywhere), an ESA can be refused/denied anywhere else and subject to pet fees. As long as you stick to pet friendly areas, it should be fine.
Exactly - I think putting a vest on an ESA and showing paperwork to get out of paying pet fees is kind of an example of what people were saying earlier in the thread about skirting the rules.

Actually, at hotels Emotional Support Animals cannot be charged pet fees at hotels or on airlines, it is one of the few protections they get (but there are rules the airlines can set that they can't set on service animals), but unlike with a service animal, a hotel can charge a refundable deposit for damages can be charged. This is one I had to look up when a friend was taking a service animal to a hotel we were both staying at and they said there would be a deposit required for the service animal, which didn't sit right with either of us. After checking the laws, we cancelled the rooms and let them know why, because they were breaking the law by doing that.

Actually, at hotels Emotional Support Animals cannot be charged pet fees at hotels or on airlines, it is one of the few protections they get (but there are rules the airlines can set that they can't set on service animals), but unlike with a service animal, a hotel can charge a refundable deposit for damages can be charged. This is one I had to look up when a friend was taking a service animal to a hotel we were both staying at and they said there would be a deposit required for the service animal, which didn't sit right with either of us. After checking the laws, we cancelled the rooms and let them know why, because they were breaking the law by doing that.

Citation please for your contention that hotels must allow ESAs and that they can’t charge pet fees. That may be true in some states or localities, but it isn’t true everywhere.

I think you are confusing a service animal and an emotional support animal. They cannot charge for a service animal but can charge and ban ESAs as hotels are considered temporary housing and not subject to the housing allowance.

Some ESAs are allowed under the Air Carrier Act (not ADA) and cannot be subject to pet fees, but they are defined and require documentation.

Citation please for your contention that hotels must allow ESAs and that they can’t charge pet fees. That may be true in some states or localities, but it isn’t true everywhere.
Actually, this was as of 2016 and looking back at it, you are right it was a state thing here in California, but apparently as of this year ESAs are completely banned from hotels unless the hotel chooses to allow them and this is both federal and state, so sorry, my information was out of date.

But they cannot deny service dogs, charge pet fees or charge a deposit for service animals.

Actually, this was as of 2016 and looking back at it, you are right it was a state thing here in California, but apparently as of this year ESAs are completely banned from hotels unless the hotel chooses to allow them and this is both federal and state, so sorry, my information was out of date.

But they cannot deny service dogs, charge pet fees or charge a deposit for service animals.
Yes on your info for no extra fees for service dogs. This is because a SD is not a pet. It is considered medical equipment. They can't charge a fee for a wheelchair or other equipment, therefore can't charge a fee for a SD.

Interesting. I wonder if they are going to start cracking down on the ESAs.

That would be nice! We've got a local woman who takes her supposedly ESA (a tiny chihuahua or somesuch) into the local grocery store, tells everyone it is a 'service animal' and then we watch the thing sit on her shoulder and shake. It looks petrified. Not sure how that offers her emotional support? Maybe she offers it emotional support, LOL? But it's a pretty useless thing, but because she insists that somehow clinging on her shoulder, eyes bulging, shaking like a leaf, it is offering her a trained service, what can they do? Did she train it to shake so that it loosens the marbles in her head?

That would be nice! We've got a local woman who takes her supposedly ESA (a tiny chihuahua or somesuch) into the local grocery store, tells everyone it is a 'service animal' and then we watch the thing sit on her shoulder and shake. It looks petrified. Not sure how that offers her emotional support? Maybe she offers it emotional support, LOL? But it's a pretty useless thing, but because she insists that somehow clinging on her shoulder, eyes bulging, shaking like a leaf, it is offering her a trained service, what can they do? Did she train it to shake so that it loosens the marbles in her head?

I feel so sad for some of these dogs. I saw a woman at Hollywood Studios once with a tiny, cowering dog that looked completely stressed out. Another time two women in scooters with multiple dogs which made no sense. I LOVE dogs and would rather be around them more than people but I am glad there is a focus on cracking down on ESAs, also this will help the ones with actual service dogs. My dogs are safest (and happiest) at home rather than dragged out to Starbuck's etc.

Yeah, it's been the official policy that four resorts will accept dogs, with certain conditions, for about the lazt eighteen months. No need to lie about the dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter