EMM - drive or bus?

mcm574

Mouseketeer
I know that, as a general rule, taking the bus from AoA would be preferable to driving to MK and then transferring over from TTC; but if we are attending EMM (and, as such, want to be at the MK gates by about 7:30), is it worth considering driving? My inclination is that at that early hour, we'd likely be able to park close to TTC, and not have to wait too long for a monorail and ferry - but I'd welcome thoughts from others who have more experience than I!

I know that, as a general rule, taking the bus from AoA would be preferable to driving to MK and then transferring over from TTC; but if we are attending EMM (and, as such, want to be at the MK gates by about 7:30), is it worth considering driving? My inclination is that at that early hour, we'd likely be able to park close to TTC, and not have to wait too long for a monorail and ferry - but I'd welcome thoughts from others who have more experience than I!

Bus.
The MK buses will be rolling by about 6:30, or earlier, every day.

I know that, as a general rule, taking the bus from AoA would be preferable to driving to MK and then transferring over from TTC...

If you go by that info, it hold's true for EEM and AM EMH, too.

We did early morning magic this past Tuesday (2/13) and planned to take the bus. Except it was not running from wilderness lodge.... There were expected times for all the other parks but magic kingdom had a line through it. We asked other bus drivers and concierge and no one knew why there were no buses running so we ended up taking a lyft to the ttc which was another mistake because neither the magic kingdom monorail or ferry were running. We took the resort monorail which took three very long stops (like over 10 minutes one time) and got there right at 7:45. I would attempt to take the bus but have a back up plan that was better then mine. The lines to check bags at the ttc were also extremely long with only two lanes open that time of morning.

Bus.
The MK buses will be rolling by about 6:30, or earlier, every day.

Good to know that that's the standard - have you ever done Bus on an EMM day? Would love to hear how it worked for you!

We did early morning magic this past Tuesday (2/13) and planned to take the bus. Except it was not running from wilderness lodge.... There were expected times for all the other parks but magic kingdom had a line through it. We asked other bus drivers and concierge and no one knew why there were no buses running so we ended up taking a lyft to the ttc which was another mistake because neither the magic kingdom monorail or ferry were running. We took the resort monorail which took three very long stops (like over 10 minutes one time) and got there right at 7:45. I would attempt to take the bus but have a back up plan that was better then mine. The lines to check bags at the ttc were also extremely long with only two lanes open that time of morning.

Oh, so sorry to hear it (but glad you got there at 7:45, just in the nick of time!). What time did you end up bailing and getting the Lyft?

We drive. The bus has failed us most of the times we actually needed it.

Oooh, interesting. Have you driven on an EMM day? Either way, how much more time would you estimate driving takes over taking the bus, assuming it's a day when the bus doesn't fail you?

Just curious, is Uber/Lyft/Taxi an option for you? That would be my personal vote - I just hate stressing about transportation with something significant on the line like EMM. Set CR as your destination and have them drop you off just past the security guardhouse.

But, fully understand that isn’t an option for some folks.

I find the busses more reliable getting to MK early than to other parks. I took the buss from Pop last June and made it just fine but bus did not show up to Resort till little after 7

Just an FYI, often when going early like that ... and the ferry & monorail has not been running ... they have been running a bus from TTC direct to MK. Always ask someone if there is a bus. It was so fast I wish it were there all the time. I also look for that bus at the time the park empties, sometime they are running just to help ... and I've always gotten a seat.

Oooh, interesting. Have you driven on an EMM day? Either way, how much more time would you estimate driving takes over taking the bus, assuming it's a day when the bus doesn't fail you?

Hard to say, with a car, you hop in and go...if parking for EMM, usually you can park close enough to walk to the TTC, if not..tram. Then monorail or ferry to the MK. I guessing actual travel time is 20 minutes more than catching the bus at the right time.

The bus goes direct to the turnstiles. But, a 20-minute wait for a bus is not unheard of. Leaving the park after park close or PM EMH, we've waited roughly an hour for a bus....twice.

In general, hopping between parks, pools, water parks, hotels, etc. Generally, a car saves us more than a hour a day. But the MK parking situation makes it a push.

Last edited:
Just curious, is Uber/Lyft/Taxi an option for you? That would be my personal vote - I just hate stressing about transportation with something significant on the line like EMM. Set CR as your destination and have them drop you off just past the security guardhouse.

But, fully understand that isn’t an option for some folks.

Honestly, it just hadn't occurred to me - we'll be park hopping two of our four days and will definitely take the buses those days - but we're going to have a rental car as we'll have been visiting family in Naples, and driving up straight from there - so I just thought it might be worth leveraging the car as long as we have it anyway. We don't do Lyft or Uber, but that doesn't mean we can't start (or that we can't just call a cab!). How much would that cost us, do you know?

When I went (drove) last time, I ended up in I think the second row of Jafar. There were no trams, but they weren't really needed as it was just a short walk to bag check. They had us use the resort monorail.

(EDIT) Just looked at parking lot map and I'm pretty sure it was Aladdin (directly adjacent to Jafar).

I find the busses more reliable getting to MK early than to other parks. I took the buss from Pop last June and made it just fine but bus did not show up to Resort till little after 7

How long had you been waiting at that point?

So from Poly, could I take the monorail that early for EMM or do I have to go to TTC and catch a bus? Sorry, I have never done it. Thanks.

About 30 minuets

Urgh, yeah, I would find that REALLY frustrating at that early hour! (And I know my kids will be total nightmares if that happens to us, as this will be our first day in the parks - their first time ever - and they'll be SUPER antsy to get going!)

Urgh, yeah, I would find that REALLY frustrating at that early hour! (And I know my kids will be total nightmares if that happens to us, as this will be our first day in the parks - their first time ever - and they'll be SUPER antsy to get going!)

My 20 time going and I’m super antsy to get going

We had no problem taking the bus and getting to EMM by 7:20ish. I would plan to take a bus, but get set up for Uber/Lyft just in case. (There’s good info on doing that at Disney on the Transportation Forum.j

So from Poly, could I take the monorail that early for EMM or do I have to go to TTC and catch a bus? Sorry, I have never done it. Thanks.

The Resort Monorail is ‘usually’ running that early under normal circumstances, but monorail hours can change week to week so you need to keep an eye on the Times Guide for the week you are there.

Here’s a helpful link with this week’s Times Guide: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/p/weekly-walt-disney-world-times-guides.html

Using this week as an example, the 7AM start time means it’s a valid option for getting to EMM.

Hope that helps.

The Resort Monorail is ‘usually’ running that early under normal circumstances, but monorail hours can change week to week so you need to keep an eye on the Times Guide for the week you are there.

Here’s a helpful link with this week’s Times Guide: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/p/weekly-walt-disney-world-times-guides.html

Using this week as an example, the 7AM start time means it’s a valid option for getting to EMM.

Hope that helps.

Awesome! Thanks...I’ve been trying to find a mono schedule

We drove it and were the 2nd car in the parking lot at 7:20am and got a monorail almost immediately to the front gate. As I see it, there is a bit of risk either way. From you resort you could be stuck waiting a longer than average time for a bus and with driving to TTC, you could run into a monorail issues. I go with TTC though because there are multiple transportation options at that point (i.e. they'll have a bus if there is no monorail), so I find it the least risky of the two options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!