EMH...Mornings, YES!! Evenings, Nooooooo!

finnster77

Mouseketeer
Just confirming what I thought I had learned over trips the last twelve years.
EMH mornings are AWESOME. We rope dropped Slinky Dog at 7 AM, then headed down Sunset Boulevard and rode RRC and ToT over and over literally until we were sick. Absolutely no wait whatsoever. (This was Tuesday, 7/10.) We were out of the park, queasy but satisfied, by 9 AM.

EMH evening at MK (11 pm - 1 am) was a different story last night.
Not a pleasant experience. Lets just say a lot more people are willing to stay up late on their vacation than get up early. :scared:

Can you share your evening experience? I’ve read a lot on here that rides are walk on or very low waits in the latter half of evening EMH. Was it just certain rides that the lines were long?

Can you share your evening experience? I’ve read a lot on here that rides are walk on or very low waits in the latter half of evening EMH. Was it just certain rides that the lines were long?

The first hour it was everything. Even attractions that normally have little to no wait had healthy queues (Think Aladdin's Carpets and such)
The line for a Dole Whip was a good ten minutes (like midday) and you still could barely approach Casey's Corner at Midnight. The final hour is much better.

EMH mornings are AWESOME. We rope dropped Slinky Dog at 7 AM, then headed down Sunset Boulevard and rode RRC and ToT over and over literally until we were sick. Absolutely no wait whatsoever. (This was Tuesday, 7/10.) We were out of the park, queasy but satisfied, by 9 AM.

Hear this first: I agree with you. Early EMH are almost always less crowded than late EMH.

However, I want to caution those who think they will get the same type of experience at HS come next month. Right now HS has early hours EVERY day in July, and that is a much different experience than when they only have early hours one day during the week. Onsite crowds are spread out through the week, creating the possibility for what you were able to do. When everyone has only one day for early EMH, you'll still get a lot done, but don't expect to get this level of fun.

There are a lot of factors to consider when thinking about evening EMH.
  • Epcot handles EMH crowds very well.
  • MK handles 12:00-2:00 EMH crowds well. It does not handle 10:00-12:00 EMH well.
  • HS never handled evening EMH well at all in year's past. I have not been back since the resumed.
  • The time of year plays a big part in the crowds. During summer, evening EMH crowds will be heavier as people look for an opportunity to tour with cooler temperatures. In the spring, fall, and winter, people are more inclined to tour during the middle of the day and are less likely to feel they need to stay late.

During PM EMH, usually the rides aren't walk ons. There are still waits, just not as long as regular park hours. Like Space during the day you might wait 75 min, for emh it might drop down to 30ish. 7dmt is likely still about a 45-60 min wait. The more popular rides retain waits but each emh is different. One night someone might go to pirates with a 5 min wait, another emh night they might have a 20 min wait.

It's also harder for people to get up and get to the parks for that 7am Emh.
The 8am emh would likely be a bit more crowded.

What time did you get there? How long was the wait for SDD when you arrived?

Hear this first: I agree with you. Early EMH are almost always less crowded than late EMH.

However, I want to caution those who think they will get the same type of experience at HS come next month. Right now HS has early hours EVERY day in July, and that is a much different experience than when they only have early hours one day during the week. Onsite crowds are spread out through the week, creating the possibility for what you were able to do. When everyone has only one day for early EMH, you'll still get a lot done, but don't expect to get this level of fun.

HS appears to have 7 am EMH every day through August 25, so hopefully most of August will be like this.

The evening EMH are tricky because, right up until the start of EMH, FP+ windows are still open and non-resort guests can still get in line - so that the first hour of evening EMH is still clearing the FP+ and non-resort guests. Neither of those are a problem for morning EMH. I generally find I get much less accomplished during evening EMH with the (generally) longer wait times that first hour.

If using the morning EMH at DHS that are now happening daily, another thing to consider is whether another park has morning EMH that day (which may cut down on the DHS EMH crowd). I'd probably avoid hitting EMH at DHS on a Sunday unless necessary since DHS is the ONLY park that has EMH on that day (no morning or evening EMH at any other park), so that would tend to increase attendance for EMH that day (as I learned when AK was doing this earlier this spring - the day I went when AK was the only park with EMH was noticeably more crowded than the other morning I did EMH there when MK also had morning EMH).

I love evening EMH! We always go the two weeks after TG so it’s nice to be able to be in the park later since hours are typically shorter during that time of year.

Thanks for the info, I was just asking about this in another thread... trying to figure out if it's worth it to go to the MK for early morning hours on a day that wouldn't be ideal for us. Theirs start at 8, not 7, but still sounds as if it's pretty worth it.

Thanks for the info, I was just asking about this in another thread... trying to figure out if it's worth it to go to the MK for early morning hours on a day that wouldn't be ideal for us. Theirs start at 8, not 7, but still sounds as if it's pretty worth it.

Just remember (in case you don’t know this already), for MK AM EMHs, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open. You can still cover a lot of ground, but you don’t have your run of the whole park.

And a lot more people can get it together for 8AM EMH than 7AM, so the crowds are noticeably worse for 8am EMH to me.

Just remember (in case you don’t know this already), for MK AM EMHs, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open. You can still cover a lot of ground, but you don’t have your run of the whole park.

And a lot more people can get it together for 8AM EMH than 7AM, so the crowds are noticeably worse for 8am EMH to me.

Thanks so much for the info! On the fence on this one... we will do two days at MK and definitely want to do MK on our last day (Saturday), so if we do the EMH on Friday we will have to do both days back-to-back and won't get to MK until the end of the week. Not a major issue, but I think the kids might be impatient / disappointed with that schedule. Good to know how much the EMH help or don't help for MK - I am thinking we may miss the EMH and just do MK our first and last day if they don't change the schedule by spring.

A 7 AM EMH is the best kept secret at Disney World.

We did MK at 7 during the Friday before Columbus Day weekend and did the following:
All:Buzz
Me:TTA
Kids: SpaceM
Kids: 7DMT
Me:Pooh
Me: Little Mermaid
Me: IASM
All: Peter Pan

Now it was 8:15-8:20 and I have photos of absolutely nobody between the Haunted Mansion and the Frontier Area.

The kids rode Splash, we all rode Pirates, and we all did the Jungle Cruise.

We left at 9:30 and was taken back to OKW by van as the busses were not running to the resorts that early. The remaining attractions were completed during the Halloween Party that evening.

It was scary quiet, almost surreal to see absolutely nobody in a park like the MK on a holiday weekend. By Saturday afternoon, you couldn't move around any park.

I'm looking for a comparable EMH for our visit this fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter