Embarkation Day - 1st Timer

JARNJ3

DIS Veteran
First time DCL cruiser - Mediterranean (Rome) no less :) Disney has arranged transportation from my hotel, not sure what time I will arrive.

So - I think I have 4 things to do this day:

1. Book Palo Brunch (where?)
  2. Book Chocolate & Liquor Tasting (where?)
  3. Take a tour of the ship
  4. Eat lunch - thinking Cabanas

What should be the order of these events? Thanks for your suggestions!

It depends on your priorities. I would say try for brunch first, the location will be listed in the first day's navigator you should receive in the terminal.

I would then eat and then take a tour, to walk off some of lunch.

We've been on several Disney cruises and we still make the mistake of rushing through our first day on the ship. I encourage you (and me) to slow down on your first day. Don't rush. Enjoy meeting the ship. And definitely check out the super awesome bathrooms all over the ship :)

First time DCL cruiser - Mediterranean (Rome) no less :) Disney has arranged transportation from my hotel, not sure what time I will arrive.

1 and 2 are normally done in the Promenade Lounge on Disney Magic in the Med (at separate tables), but check your boarding day Personal Navigator to confirm.
3 will be listed in the Personal Navigator for the guided one conducted by the Cruise Staff Team, but you will need to check your boarding day Personal Navigator for time and location (should meet in Preludes).
4 after completing 1 and 2, and scheduling around 3, you should head to Cabanas as soon as you can to beat the rush at Cabanas, if not, you can always do a sit-down meal in Lumiere's.

What kind of ship tour are you interested in doing? I haven't done the one that just shows you where places are located. I did one on the Wonder last year that told interesting tidbits about places/designs of the ship. It was a lot of fun and really interesting. I don't remember the name of it, but it was on a sea day. Hopefully someone on here will know the name of it.

Last edited:

We prefer the sit down lunch to the chaos at cabanas, but it does cut into your time to do other things. We also like to go to the spa raffle and take our chances on winning a free treatment, though we never have our friends have once before. You do have to be present to win and sit through a 20-30 minute "sales pitch" for all the different services they offer. This is typically right before Muster drill, don't forget about that mandatory event.

What kind of ship tour are you interested in doing? I haven't done the one that just shows you where places are located. I did one on the Wonder last year that told interesting tidbits about places/designs of the ship. It was a lot of fun and really interesting. I don't remember the name of it, but it was on a sea day. Hopefully someone on here will know the name of it.

I guess we'd like to do both. Though I'm sure we could find our way around eventually on our own..... I heard that one of the ship's tours gives you interesting facts and history :)

Last edited:

1 and 2 are normally done in the Promenade Lounge on Disney Magic in the Med (at separate tables), but check your boarding day Personal Navigator to confirm.
3 will be listed in the Personal Navigator for the guided one conducted by the Cruise Staff Team, but you will need to check your boarding day Personal Navigator for time and location (should meet in Preludes).
4 after completing 1 and 2, and scheduling around 3, you should head to Cabanas as soon as you can to beat the rush at Cabanas, if not, you can always do a sit-down meal in Lumiere's.

This is what I was looking for - thank you!!!!

I guess we'd like to do both. Though I'm sure we could find our way around eventually on our own..... I had that one of the ship's tours gives you interesting facts and history :)

There is tour on embarkation day that is open to everyone and will give you a general idea of the layout of the ship and some trivia.

The Art of the Theme Ship tour is adults-only (because it may go into Palo and/or Remy) and provides more information about how the ships were designed. This tour is typically offered a few times over the course of a cruise.

We've been on several Disney cruises and we still make the mistake of rushing through our first day on the ship. I encourage you (and me) to slow down on your first day. Don't rush. Enjoy meeting the ship. And definitely check out the super awesome bathrooms all over the ship :)
My general cruise strategy is
- get on as early as you can
- eat
- THEN take your time and do whatever
- under no circumstances should you wait for your brother to take his sweet time getting his kids ready before boarding 2 hours after your target time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!