El Yunque Rainforest in San Juan on your own?

Yes, but my family is from the island. It’s very doable if you rent a car and have good gps to get you to the parking lot by the main trail. There is a clearly marked trail to a waterfall when you get there that will be open unless there is a flash flood threat. People sometimes bring coolers/picnics but I recommend just going in between meals and eating afterwards.

Yes, but my family is from the island. It’s very doable if you rent a car and have good gps to get you to the parking lot by the main trail. There is a clearly marked trail to a waterfall when you get there that will be open unless there is a flash flood threat. People sometimes bring coolers/picnics but I recommend just going in between meals and eating afterwards.

Thank you for the insight!

Yes, our family of four (kids 8 and 10 at the time) rented a car to go out to El Yunque when we had a little under a week in San Juan. Beautiful.

Be sure to check on the conditions at El Yunque before you make a final decision to go there. There was severe damage from Maria, and from what I've read online, much of the forest is still off limits to visitors due to hazardous conditions.

We did an awesome private tour to El Yunque and afterwards we had a delicious dinner at a roadside market and then we kayaked at night at the bioluminescent bay. It was worth every penny! If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll connect you with our guide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter