Eekk, going to my happy place. August 2019

OurLuce

Mouseketeer
My name is Lucy and I have a problem. I love Disney too much and the OH has said he won't do the mouse, in any form ever, again.

So after much stress, heartache and discussion,( to be fair mainly with myself), OH is stumping up the cash and the kids and I are going to the world without him.

full introductions first. I am a full time mum who is older than I want to be, I have two amazing children. Amelia has just turned 13 and has all the attitude that goes with it. Zach is 11. We live in a village in northamptonshire in England.1020315-1958x1469.jpg

We went, as a family, to Disney in 2016. other half tolerated it. Then last year we went on our first cruise... It was with the mouse to Alaska. It was wonderful but OH tolerated it.

So last night .181 days out I booked the cheapest flight and hotel I could. So we are flying United with a change and staying at all stars sports. Flying out on the 21st August and leaving on the 1st September, arriving back in the UK on the 2nd. They go back to school on the 4th. It will be far too hot. The flights are long. I've got to deal with 2 children on my own. And I've p@!!#d off the other half.

I am so excited. But I really need to do some planning.

I'll be there around the same time! (Aug 26-Sept 4) My kids (age 12 and 10) start school again on the 5th, so I'm hoping the Disney magic carries them through the first day of school lol.

Feel free to check out my trip report too (in my signature, and good luck on your planning! So exciting!

I understand about your husband! My hubby doesn't love Disney :sad:. But he will at least come along, so I'm glad for that.

We're going early Sept. Looking forward to hearing more as you plan!

So yesterday was 180 days. As you all know Disney hasn't quite got all their computer systems talking to each other. So it's too soon to link to my reservation in they experience app. So I ring them. Lucky its a free phone number, after a lot of waiting I talk to someone who tries to get me linked. I thought he had too, so I booked tusker house breakfast for our first morning. Unfortunately it was for the 22 Feb not August. So another phone call and they cancel it, without charge, I now have it booked for 8 am on Thursday 22nd August. We will still be in UK time so awake horribly early so might as well use the time well. We did it on the first morning last time and it was perfect. The rest of the reservations can wait till the app decides to work. They are less dependent on date.

Big child wants to go to NASA again. I don't want to hire a car/drive so need to find out if we can do it. Youngest child doesn't know we are going yet. Hoping we can keep it a secret for a bit...maybe even till we reach the states as our first plane isn't going to Orlando...

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Both kids are back at school after half term. So after two weeks I get some time to myself. Oldest is in secondary youngest is still in primary but goes to school in a different county and this time their holidays were in different weeks.

There is a lot of housework to be done. I need to go shopping for a black top for oldest for a concert she is playing in, I'm working on a big crochet blanket that is almost done or I could build the spreadsheet for the holiday.... Who's betting the house will stay dirty...

Meanwhile bog is booked for lunch and we are going to make it this time and sci-fi diner for Saturday night...

We have told the boy we are going. Daughter just couldn't keep the excitment in any longer and needed to share. She also said I was giving it away as I was being so happy all the time.

He was lying on the sofa with his headphones on watching you-tube. Zach, I say, take off headphones, I've got something to ask, when we go to disney this year they are opening galaxy edge which is the new star wars bit. Do you want to go and see it? It is going to be really busy.

Yeah he says, and puts his bins back on. it hasn't gone in.

Zach, I say, gesturing for him to take of the headphones again, It opens on the 29th and we don't fly home till the 1st, getting home on the 2nd. it will be really busy.

I said yes, headphones back on. still hasn't got it.

Zach. I almost shout. look at me and listen. He does.

We are going to Disney in August.

He properly listened this time. Huge smile. shout of happiness. and five minuites of bouncing with joy.

So I had plans and then galaxy edge is opening when we are there .... so big question is do we try and brave the crowds as it is there?

So back to the planning board.

My hubby is like yours. He tolerated Disney the first two times we went but does not want to go again. We were last there in 2014. I had to smile at Zach's reaction. It sounds like he is a typical preteen. He gives you a basic acknowledgement of something without really registering what you said. It will be fun to follow along with your planning and then TR when your trip has finished.

I
My hubby is like yours. He tolerated Disney the first two times we went but does not want to go again. We were last there in 2014. I had to smile at Zach's reaction. It sounds like he is a typical preteen. He gives you a basic acknowledgement of something without really registering what you said. It will be fun to follow along with your planning and then TR when your trip has finished.
Honestly think we could of got away with months of not telling Zach even though my phone has been disneyfied with apps and we talk about it Infront of him when he is tuned into you tube
the other half really doesn't understand why I love Disney so much .. and why I would want to go with 2 kids. To be fair I'd be happy to go on my own but I don't think he would be happy to be left with the children.

Following along! I can’t wait to hear what it’s like being there when Galaxy’s Edge opens! I’m sure it’ll be crazy crowded but awesome.

We traveled at the end of August last year. Definitely bring ponchos! It rained so much more than any other trip we went on!

I

Honestly think we could of got away with months of not telling Zach even though my phone has been disneyfied with apps and we talk about it Infront of him when he is tuned into you tube
the other half really doesn't understand why I love Disney so much .. and why I would want to go with 2 kids. To be fair I'd be happy to go on my own but I don't think he would be happy to be left with the children.

Yes, this sounds like me. I don't think any of my family or the few friends I talk to Disney about really understand my love for Disney. That is why I am so grateful that I found the DIS so many years ago! :disrocks:I can log on and chat with people ALL over the world who truly understand my love for Disney. party:It just makes me smile and happy for so many reasons.

Warm memories from growing up watching The Wonderful World of Disney:happytv: every Sunday night with my family to the fun time we had the one time we went as a family when I was growing up. :mickeyjum:goofy:I have only been to WDW five times in my whole life but is just a magical place for me.

The last time I was there was in February 2014, but I am always on here and the Disney site making dream plans and staying current on what is going. It looks like I may get to go back in Jan 2020 when my DD's high school marching band goes down to Florida. That is what I am planning anyway!:surfweb:

AND I enjoy reading about other people's plans and trips. On my last trip, my DD and I were went down four days ahead of my son and hubby and we had a great time just the two of us. Disney is just so managable. I was not worried a bit. I really liked how I didn't have to worry about transportation to and from the airport, we just hopped on the Magical Express and then once at WDW we used the busses and other transportation there.

I am sure you and your two kids will have a wonderful time as well! And to tell you the truth it was nice being at WDW and experiencing it without my hubby's cycnical attitude about "Why Disney?, etc".

Last edited:
Yes, this sounds like me. I don't think any of my family or the few friends I talk to Disney about really understand my love for Disney. That is why I am so grateful that I found the DIS so many years ago! :disrocks:I can log on and chat with people ALL over the world who truly understand my love for Disney. party:It just makes me smile and happy for so many reasons.

Warm memories from growing up watching The Wonderful World of Disney:happytv: every Sunday night with my family to the fun time we had the one time we went as a family when I was growing up. :mickeyjum:goofy:I have only been to WDW five times in my whole life but is just a magical place for me.

The last time I was there was in February 2014, but I am always on here and the Disney site making dream plans and staying current on what is going. It looks like I may get to go back in Jan 2020 when my DD's high school marching band goes down to Florida. That is what I am planning anyway!:surfweb:

AND I enjoy reading about other people's plans and trips. On my last trip, my DD and I were went down four days ahead of my son and hubby and we had a great time just the two of us. Disney is just so managable. I was not worried a bit. I really liked how I didn't have to worry about transportation to and from the airport, we just hopped on the Magical Express and then once at WDW we used the busses and other transportation there.

I am sure you and your two kids will have a wonderful time as well! And to tell you the truth it was nice being at WDW and experiencing it without my hubby's cycnical attitude about "Why Disney?, etc".

I hear you. Every time I tell my sister we are going back to WDW I get the eye roll. Fortunately both my wife and I love going. We had been to WDW eight times over thirty years starting in 1973, both with and without kids. Then in 2015 we finally reached that point in life where we had the time and financial stability that we could start enjoying our second Disney childhoods. We have been to WDW six times in the last three years with two more trips planned in 2019, May 6 is almost here. Yet every time we come back there is still that excitement of it being the first time. I usually take a moment when we first get there to as they say “Live in the moment” because once you start it goes by so fast. The place is just so amazing. So we are now DVC members, annual passholders and recently became DIS board members.

Hope you get back soon and enjoy!

I got the 120 day email the other day. Apart from eye rolls and comments like 'you know it will be hot' and 'why do you want to go back to the same place?' From the other half (yes I know and its Disney) I'm getting excited

I've started the spreadsheet.. then they announced galaxy edge opening when we sre there. But I think I'll stick to original plans .. probably.

So here goes:
Tuesday 20 August.. drive down to Heathrow and stay at the purple palace the night before. May drop in on my sister on the way, she lives on the other side of London, and deliver birthday present.

Next day do the drop car at terminal and they store it for you. Fly to Orlando via Texas. Magic Express to all star sports. Collapse.

Day 1 at parks. Akl. Tusker house breakfast is booked for 8. Park opens at 9. Fps will be safari, fop and maybe kali. Will prob have a afternoon break before going back to see rivers of light

Day 2. Mk prob for rope drop. See parade at 2 then go and relax by pool. It's a mnsshp and we have a very late reservation at the contemporary so we can see the fireworks. If I can't get it earlier I might drop it.

Day 3 Saturday. Going to epcot after a later start. Then over to hs. We have dinner at sci fi diner. Fantasmic at 9.

Sunday. Go shopping in discount mall. Ds for dinner. Chill short of day.

Monday. Day 5. Epcot again stay for illuminations.

Tuesday a waterpark.

Wednesday day 7. Day trip to NASA.

Thursday 29th. Staying clear of hs. We have lunch at bog. So late start over to mk and stay till the fireworks.

Friday..waterpark .. maybe a trip to hs either early or late just to see the new bit.

Saturday. ak for the day. Have booked a last meal at the yachtsman as we haven't tried it yet.. open to other suggestions.. might look at tiffin as we are in ak.

And Sunday our flight is at 14.35. So pack up and me to the airport. May get some pool time in before leaving. Flying home via Chicago.

Arrive at airport Monday. Drive home. Kids start school on Wednesday. Zach is moving up to secondary so will be year 7. Amelia will be year 9.

I need to work out when we do customs/immigration. Have various bits to book. Need to work out uber.. we live in the middle of nowhere so don't have it.

It is real and is happening.

Lucy

Looks like you got a good handle on what you want to do each day. I agree with you to steer clear of HS when Star Wars opens.

Looks like you got a good handle on what you want to do each day. I agree with you to steer clear of HS when Star Wars opens.
I have a plan, how it turns out against enemy action is another story.. which if I'm good will be posted on the disboards in september. I've actually got some doing to do..book the pre flight stuff and the NASA tour.

I got the 90 day email...its getting closer. I've got my holiday insurance. Paid for the night before stay and car storage. So now I have to decide which variant of the NASA trip to do.

So I could spend £200 ish on the standard trip, leaving from all stars music. Or go for the VIP which is a smaller group and picks you up from your own hotel, you get more time there, they feed you snacks. and costs twice as much.... I know it would be cheaper to rent a car but I don't want to drive. Opinions please.

I got the 90 day email...its getting closer. I've got my holiday insurance. Paid for the night before stay and car storage. So now I have to decide which variant of the NASA trip to do.

So I could spend £200 ish on the standard trip, leaving from all stars music. Or go for the VIP which is a smaller group and picks you up from your own hotel, you get more time there, they feed you snacks. and costs twice as much.... I know it would be cheaper to rent a car but I don't want to drive. Opinions please.

So, what did you decide to do for the NASA trip? I can see why you are torn with making a decision. Twice the amount of money is definitely something to consider. I am not sure which one I would choose myself. I went to NASA over forty years ago when I was around 13 I think. I remember on the tour you get on a school bus and ride around forever it seemed and then went into a HUGE building where they had one of rockets. I just remember looking, up and up and up. I don't recall much else and of course since it was so long ago there is probably more to see than what I remember.

So, what did you decide to do for the NASA trip? I can see why you are torn with making a decision. Twice the amount of money is definitely something to consider. I am not sure which one I would choose myself. I went to NASA over forty years ago when I was around 13 I think. I remember on the tour you get on a school bus and ride around forever it seemed and then went into a HUGE building where they had one of rockets. I just remember looking, up and up and up. I don't recall much else and of course since it was so long ago there is probably more to see than what I remember.
I still haven't decided about which NASA trip... we went in 2016 and had lunch with an astronaut which was fab . The bus tour has changed since you did it.. it's been different each of the 3 times I've been there ... first was 1990 then in the early 2000s .. I must make a decision soon..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter