Edible Slime in today's "It's not my fault" World...

nd5056

DIS Veteran
I think it's just a matter if time before someone gets sick on regular Slime and sues everyone...

What do you think?

10593656_1.jpg

What the heck? I read that and thought, huh? Now kids are supposed to know which Slime is for playing with and which is for eating? That is one of the grossest ideas I have heard of in a long time. I am surprised at Jello brand putting something like this on the market..just my opinion though!

When will slime be gone for good?
My daughter banned it from her house, so my granddaughter tries to make it here....... I banned her too!
Wait till she sees this edible garbage......:sad2:

When will slime be gone for good?
My daughter banned it from her house, so my granddaughter tries to make it here....... I banned her too!
Wait till she sees this edible garbage......:sad2:

I thought that the glitter everywhere was bad... not until the slime loaded with those round balls showed up! at least glitter stays where it falls... :lmao:

DD11 plays with slime here and there. I don't have a problem with it. Frankly I'm surprised it took this long for someone to come out with edible slime. Lawsuits will happen, there are lawyers that will take any case. How it plays out is another matter.

I mean, if a kid is eating the stuff made with glue and borax, they're going to notice that it's not edible because it has to taste awful.

If the kid playing with it is old enough to play with slime, they're old enough to not put everything in their mouth... and the supervising adult should be, I don't know... supervising? Especially in the case of a kid that is likely to stick everything in their mouths, or lick hands/fingers/pick noses without first washing their hands. (You know if your kid is one of those types to lick their fingers and/or not wash their hands!) I feel like any lawsuits would probably promptly be tossed out because it would be a more of a case of parental negligence than anything else, but then again, I am not a lawyer.

Quite frankly, I think I'd rather kids play with the Jello edible slime than the homemade glue-borax-water combo. Borax can be a skin and respiratory irritant (especially if not mixed in enough) and if ingested in 5-10g (child) doses or 10-25g (adult) can be fatally poisonous; Jello can be staining, messy, or sticky, but completely harmless (barring allergies, of course).

The ONLY benefit I see of one over the other is that the borax-glue-water slime is cheaper to make and customize. (And a great chemistry lesson, too, for the junior scientist.)

For anyone interested, there are alternative slime recipes that do not contain borax here.

Oh the flashbacks!

My son had a Star Wars themed birthday party and I thought it would be fun to make "galactic slime" as one of the activities.

My vision: An orderly group of children circling a picnic table outside, each watching me raptly while I mixed the concoction, waiting with their individual little plastic containers for me to dole them a portion of slime. Then I would ask each child in turn which color food coloring they would like me to add to their slime, and would they like a sprinkling of glitter or tiny metallic stars? Each would happily mix their made-to order slime in their own little container, then after an appropriate amount of slime-play, they'd all pop the lids on their containers, write their names on the lids with a Sharpie, and move on to the next activity, setting their slime aside to take home with them later.

Reality: The slime didn't "slimify" (if that's not a word then it should be). Baffled, I moved the ingredients and utensils inside where I had ready access to hot water. Distracted by a vision though the sliding glass doors of a 9-year old attempting to operate the popcorn machine by himself, I left my post. After my attentions were further diverted by reports of a boy running through the inflatable obstacle course in his wet bathing suit, and the subsequent gathering of towels, I returned to my kitchen where--I can only say--chaos truly reigned. A group of about six pre-teen girls--admittedly better slime-makers than yours truly--had taken over the operations. They were enjoying some success but every surface in my kitchen, including the floor, was covered in glue, food coloring, glitter, and tiny metallic stars. Little children tired of waiting for the bigger girls to share the slime had taken to playing with the food coloring and had hands as blue as Smurfs. I'm still scraping what started off as simple Elmer's school glue (but has somehow mysteriously evolved into some kind of nuclear-destruction-proof grade epoxy) off my Pyrex mixing bowls.

Do not speak to me of slime.

Oh the flashbacks!

My son had a Star Wars themed birthday party and I thought it would be fun to make "galactic slime" as one of the activities.

My vision: An orderly group of children circling a picnic table outside, each watching me raptly while I mixed the concoction, waiting with their individual little plastic containers for me to dole them a portion of slime. Then I would ask each child in turn which color food coloring they would like me to add to their slime, and would they like a sprinkling of glitter or tiny metallic stars? Each would happily mix their made-to order slime in their own little container, then after an appropriate amount of slime-play, they'd all pop the lids on their containers, write their names on the lids with a Sharpie, and move on to the next activity, setting their slime aside to take home with them later.

Reality: The slime didn't "slimify" (if that's not a word then it should be). Baffled, I moved the ingredients and utensils inside where I had ready access to hot water. Distracted by a vision though the sliding glass doors of a 9-year old attempting to operate the popcorn machine by himself, I left my post. After my attentions were further diverted by reports of a boy running through the inflatable obstacle course in his wet bathing suit, and the subsequent gathering of towels, I returned to my kitchen where--I can only say--chaos truly reigned. A group of about six pre-teen girls--admittedly better slime-makers than yours truly--had taken over the operations. They were enjoying some success but every surface in my kitchen, including the floor, was covered in glue, food coloring, glitter, and tiny metallic stars. Little children tired of waiting for the bigger girls to share the slime had taken to playing with the food coloring and had hands as blue as Smurfs. I'm still scraping what started off as simple Elmer's school glue (but has somehow mysteriously evolved into some kind of nuclear-destruction-proof grade epoxy) off my Pyrex mixing bowls.

:rotfl2:I am SO sorry for your experience, but SO happy you shared it! :laughing:

Oh the flashbacks!

I'm sorry about your mess, but it was hilarious to read about!!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I can understand. My 7-year-old sister is also so obsessed with slime that I have to search in Google for all kind of Slime recipes that can be made without harmful ingredients. And found this article on Google which helped me in creating slime for her without glue. And really it was such a relief for me when I had found this alternative recipe.

It's not much different than the edible play dough that was around when my 19 year old was little. It was made with peanut butter, dried milk and food coloring.

Somehow mine knew which she could eat and which she couldn't.

My youngest I has always been a big water of playdough, so we have only ever has the homemade stuff to reduce the risk. However I never did any if the stuff on pintrest that were made with Jello etc, I didnt need to invite her to eat more!
Slime though she never had.

As far as people getting confused and suing.
I think having a less chemical alternative is a good thing, being edible to me isnt the same as actually letting them eat ot like a dessert, just that's it is safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!