Edible Chocolate Bowls...

fluffernutter

Mouseketeer
EDIBLE CHOCOLATE BOWLS...

Chocolate bowls!!!!!!
I make these "chocolate bowls" all the time.
I like to serve pudding in them or fresh fruit with whipped cream,they make a really nice presentation and are easy to make.

here is what i do:
Chocolate cups:
6 small round or oval helium quality balloons
7 bars (1.5 oz.each) hershey bars or godiva choc, coarsely chopped ( i also make some white choc bowls to make it look even nicer on the table.)
2 teaspoons shortening

Inflate the balloons until they measure about 3 inches at their widest point. Tie knots in balloons to close. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.

Place the dark chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe 9-inch pie plate. Microwave at medium (50%) for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth. If chocolate is not completely melted, microwave 15 more seconds. Stir until smooth.

Holding a balloon by its knot, dip each balloon into the chocolate and rock it back and forth, coating the top of the balloon and causing the chocolate to come halfway up the sides unevenly for a "tulip" edge. Lift the balloon and let excess chocolate drip off before placing, knot up, on baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes until chocolate is firm

Remove from refrigerator and carefully pop each balloon with the tip of a sharp knife. Gently lift the deflated balloon from the cups and discard. Cover chocolate cups with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days.

fill with your choice of pudding,ice cream,fruit with whipped cream,choc dipped fruits,cookies etc.
enjoy

This year for our holiday dessert table i am making choc dipped apricots,cashews,pretzels,marshmallows and nilla wafer cookies.I did this for Thanksgiving and it was gobbled up in minutes,so i guess they liked it!!!

Thanks for the neat idea. One question, do you hand chop the chocolate or use a processor?

Herc

I tried these 2 years ago. I just got regular balloons and had quite a problem!! First I would put the balloon in the melted chololate and they burst right away. I figured the cholcolate needed to cool slightly so the next one I let it sit for a minute or two. I was so proud of myself! I got the balloon coated with chocolate, I put it on the cookie sheet, I turned around and opened the refrigerator door and BAM!! the balloon exploded!! I had chocolate on the floor, the cabinets, on my back, inside the refrigerator... ROTFL!!!
I did eventually succeed in getting some bowls made but it sure was an experience.
Moral of the story- be sure to use the helium quality balloons.:D

Used just regular balloons.....Martha didn't say anything about hellium grade balloons! :D

We're talking chocolate on the floor, ceiling, me......everywhere!

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one!!! Thank you Disney Denna!!!:D

I did. Sometimes balloons have a powdery stuff on the outside. I figure it can't hurt to wash them. Just be sure to let them dry completely before coating them with the chocolate.

Try using a regular bowl covered with aluminum foil. I have, and they came out fine.

Thanks Jersey Janice! I was wondering about using either plastic wrap or foil over the balloon anyway. But if it works with a bowl, I think I'll try it that way. The last thing I need is a kitchen covered in chocolate . . . & that's what I'd have with my luck even with helium quality balloons. :D

Now I'll definitely try this! :D

d

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter