ECV Travel Questions

MulanMom

MK is my happy place!
My DH's ECV is acting up which might lead to having to purchase a new one and/or renting one at WDW. And if that's the case, it's brought up a few questions that I'm hoping the folks here can share their experiences.

1) A friend years ago had her ECV damaged on a flight. What have your experiences been taking your own ECV on a flight?

2) We're planning to use DME for transportation to and from WDW, but I have some concern with returning to the airport. Where does DME drop you off? Is it far from airline check in? Are there skycaps to help with luggage?

3) If you've used a different transportation service to transport you to the airport with your ECV, who have you used?

Thanks in advance for your help!

My DH's ECV is acting up which might lead to having to purchase a new one and/or renting one at WDW. And if that's the case, it's brought up a few questions that I'm hoping the folks here can share their experiences.

I ju got my mobility device, so I don’t have any exp with taking it on a plane, but this is from what I’ve heard.

1.) To be safe, I would fill out the airline’s wheelchair/scooter information card and have it on hand for luggage check-in, gate check, etc. I would also ask to view them load/unload the scooter onto the plane’s conveyor belt to the cargo hold.

2.) They drop you off where the check in to the airlines is. Some airlines have their counters as soon as you walk in the door, but some (like Spirit) are in the middle of nowhere and it’s a long trek just to get to them. There are skycaps to help you with the luggage too.

Thank you, Groot. I don't see anything for an airline wheelchair/scooter information card. DH called AA's special assistance number but since we are on a direct nonstop flight, they said he didn't have to associate any special information with his ticket. We can just check the ECV or wheelchair at the gate. Our previous flight was different because we were on a connecting flight with a smaller plane and they were more concerned with the weight, etc., so they had the ECV information within his ticket information.

Thank you, Groot. I don't see anything for an airline wheelchair/scooter information card. DH called AA's special assistance number but since we are on a direct nonstop flight, they said he didn't have to associate any special information with his ticket. We can just check the ECV or wheelchair at the gate. Our previous flight was different because we were on a connecting flight with a smaller plane and they were more concerned with the weight, etc., so they had the ECV information within his ticket information.

Yeah, before I book with an unfamiliar airline, I always check their wheelchair policy, because every airline is different.

Last edited:
I fly American *a lot* - partly because they have the most flights from my hometown to DFW (which is their nearest hub). Also, partly because my hubby works a major American Airline (get it? LOL) and I don't fly on the "free" tickets because those are standby, and if I am going to Disney World, I want to *know* I am getting on that plane! So, my experiences flying to Disney World are like those of any other paying passenger.

A couple of links for you:​
Special Assistance (info on American's Special Assistance for folks who need it)​
and​

First, to answer your #1 question - I have never had my personal mobility equipment damaged by American Airlines. BUT...

... I have a lot of experience flying with mobility equipment, and so when I had to start bringing my own along, I was already pretty familiar with the routine. Additionally I bought the smallest (folds down into a travel case the size of a golf bag) lightest (35 pounds without me on it) "scooter" I could find. So, it's *very* easy for gate crews to handle; and because it was designed by a former pilot, and is made with aircraft-grade aluminum tubing, it's *very* sturdy. If I make sure I charge it fully overnight, every night, I can do a full "Disney Day", no problem.

It's a TravelScoot (because I knew you were going to ask 🙂 )

A couple of other notes regarding flying: Remember that medical equipment will fly for free - but any suitcase or bag that is declared as "medical" can ONLY contain medical equipment, and the airline can ask to check/search that bag; it's their plane, their (and the FAA's) rules. So, the scooter flies for free - no additional charge. And, the battery bag I carry (because my batteries are removable, and the manufacturer recommends carrying them in the cabin, and American *requires* that I carry them into the cabin) flies for free also, and does not count against my carry on allowance, or my total baggage allowance.

Here's what I expect to experience when I fly with my ECV: (I'm using "you" here to indicate either/both you and/or your hubby, and because I fully expect that your hubby will read this at some point)

- Between a week and 10 days prior to flying, I contact the airline to let them know I will be traveling with my own device. Some airlines don't care; others will have a special department reach out to you to discuss your needs prior to the flight. There may also be questions regarding the make/model of your ECV, and the capacity of the battery(s).

- I arrive early for the flight. I personally prefer to be at the Airport about 2-½ to 3 hours early. This is to allow for the bit of extra "work" you will do with/for the personal mobility device.

- I ALWAYS PACK MY BATTERY CHARGER IN A SEPARATE CARRY-ON. You can only go so far if you get to your destination, and don't have a charger for the battery! Never pack it in checked luggage; always keep it in the cabin with you.

- NEVER STORE *ANYTHING* ON THE ECV WHEN FLYING (For safety purposes, as well as preventing loss or damage to anything). Remove any/all accessories that could be knocked off, broken, etc. (Like cupholders)

- When I check my luggage with the airline, I let them know that I will be gate-checking my device, and that I DO NOT need an aisle chair. (You can skip this step if you are going all carry-on)

- Next is TSA. Here, it is fastest if you can stand and walk through the machine, and then allow them to manually "clear" your device. Since my ECV has a battery bag + charger, that adds time to the process, as that must be x-rayed separately by the TSA (at least at our home airport and when departing MCO) Most TSA checkpoints will minimally have a wooden cane handy to help with balance if you need some extra help. You can ask to sit once you have cleared the scanner if needed. Remain calm and courteous and let TSA know this is your first time flying with the scooter, so you don't know exactly what to do.

Expect pushback if you are using a scooter and say that you can't stand or walk - Like a lot of other places in the world, scooter users are assumed to somewhat self-ambulatory, while wheelchair users are assumed to be non-ambulatory (Can't walk or stand unassisted).

- TSA will typically do a thorough visual inspection of the device and may swab it as well. They may swab the battery separately. They may swab your hands, shoes, or anything you brought along... Every time I fly, I wonder how I can be the person who sells TSA those swabs, because they use a *lot* of them!!!

- Unless you are TSA "Pre-Check" be prepared to remove shoes, put your cell phone in a bin, etc. just like everyone else. I send a family member through ahead of me, because that way they can "catch" my stuff when it has cleared the x-ray machine, and I don't have to worry about it sitting there while I am going through procedure.

- Once through TSA, I go directly to my departure gate. As soon as an airline employee appears to work that flight, I let them know that I will be gate checking my ECV and that I do not need an aisle chair. (I also have to discuss removal/storage of the battery for my particular ECV model with them). Sometimes, they will put the gate-check tags on right then, other times they will do it just before you board the plane. Be alert to boarding times, and keep an eye on the Gate Agent, as you will typically board in the first group.

- When it's time to board, you will typically be called in the first group. Carefully proceed down the Jetway ramp (don't try to make your first Disney ride a runaway ramp spectacular!) and when you get to the door of the plane, move to the side, and then hand the device off to a member of the ground crew (or a "host") once you have made it ready. It will be either stored inside the plane, or much more likely will be stowed under the plane in a cargo hold reserved for gate-checked equipment.

I don't fold my Travelscoot for flight - I *do* ride without the seat back on at Disney World (it's just so much easier - you can hop on and off like a tricycle by swinging one leg over the seat, plus it helps keep my core strong) but otherwise, to get it ready for flight, I only have to remove the battery, and any personal belongings from the red triangle, and I hand it off to whoever is in charge of getting it down to the tarmac.

Once on board, I let my flight attendant know that I have a battery bag with lithium ion batteries for my medical device. Typically they will place that bag in the very first bin in First Class, right up against the bulkhead, or directly over me. American Airlines has a rule that the Captain is notified where that bag is for safety. Once that is settled, I take my seat, and get ready to go like everyone else.

- Enjoy your flight!

- Towards the end of your flight, ask a flight attendant to let you know when your device is ready after you land; give them a brief description of what it will look like. Just like the buses at WDW, when you fly, you will load first, but get off last, so be prepared to wait a bit. Typically the plane is 50% or greater "unloaded" by the time I get my ECV back outside the door of the plane. The FA's will tell you if/when it's OK to move forward to be closer to the door.

(If you have a connecting flight, like I do, be sure to add some extra time between flights to allow for the retrieval of your device at the connecting airport. These days, I usually add at least 45 minutes, just for safety and sanity; depending on the connecting airport - I'm looking at you, DFW - I may add as much as an hour to and hour and a half.) With a connecting flight, it's lather, rinse, repeat, until you get to MCO!

- Once at MCO, you will head to baggage claim, and when you have your bags, then on to DME.

- DME (Disney's Magical Express) will store the device under the coach with the luggage, if you can make the stairs - if not, then you can ride on the device after it is placed on the lift, which is a ramp/platform, and then transfer to a seat on the bus.

The lift procedure for the DME bus is unlike any other transportation lift used at WDW - you back (backwards) on to the ramp platform, then ride up, reverse backwards into the bus, and this will then allow you to drive forward when coming back out of the bus at the Resort. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO DRIVE VERY ACCURATELY AND SLOWLY.

fAlthough there are spotty reports that people have been allowed to stand without a personal mobility device on the platform while it was lifted to the interior floor of the bus, I have never seen this, and have been regularly told by DME drivers that it is not allowed under any circumstance for safety and insurance reasons.

Hope all of this is helpful!

Let us know if you have any more questions 🙂

I fly American *a lot* - partly because they have the most flights from my hometown to DFW (which is their nearest hub). Also, partly because my hubby works a major American Airline (get it? LOL) and I don't fly on the "free" tickets because those are standby, and if I am going to Disney World, I want to *know* I am getting on that plane! So, my experiences flying to Disney World are like those of any other paying passenger.

A couple of links for you:​
Special Assistance (info on American's Special Assistance for folks who need it)​
and​

First, to answer your #1 question - I have never had my personal mobility equipment damaged by American Airlines. BUT...

... I have a lot of experience flying with mobility equipment, and so when I had to start bringing my own along, I was already pretty familiar with the routine. Additionally I bought the smallest (folds down into a travel case the size of a golf bag) lightest (35 pounds without me on it) "scooter" I could find. So, it's *very* easy for gate crews to handle; and because it was designed by a former pilot, and is made with aircraft-grade aluminum tubing, it's *very* sturdy. If I make sure I charge it fully overnight, every night, I can do a full "Disney Day", no problem.

It's a TravelScoot (because I knew you were going to ask 🙂 )

A couple of other notes regarding flying: Remember that medical equipment will fly for free - but any suitcase or bag that is declared as "medical" can ONLY contain medical equipment, and the airline can ask to check/search that bag; it's their plane, their (and the FAA's) rules. So, the scooter flies for free - no additional charge. And, the battery bag I carry (because my batteries are removable, and the manufacturer recommends carrying them in the cabin, and American *requires* that I carry them into the cabin) flies for free also, and does not count against my carry on allowance, or my total baggage allowance.

Here's what I expect to experience when I fly with my ECV: (I'm using "you" here to indicate either/both you and/or your hubby, and because I fully expect that your hubby will read this at some point)

- Between a week and 10 days prior to flying, I contact the airline to let them know I will be traveling with my own device. Some airlines don't care; others will have a special department reach out to you to discuss your needs prior to the flight. There may also be questions regarding the make/model of your ECV, and the capacity of the battery(s).

- I arrive early for the flight. I personally prefer to be at the Airport about 2-½ to 3 hours early. This is to allow for the bit of extra "work" you will do with/for the personal mobility device.

- I ALWAYS PACK MY BATTERY CHARGER IN A SEPARATE CARRY-ON. You can only go so far if you get to your destination, and don't have a charger for the battery! Never pack it in checked luggage; always keep it in the cabin with you.

- NEVER STORE *ANYTHING* ON THE ECV WHEN FLYING (For safety purposes, as well as preventing loss or damage to anything). Remove any/all accessories that could be knocked off, broken, etc. (Like cupholders)

- When I check my luggage with the airline, I let them know that I will be gate-checking my device, and that I DO NOT need an aisle chair. (You can skip this step if you are going all carry-on)

- Next is TSA. Here, it is fastest if you can stand and walk through the machine, and then allow them to manually "clear" your device. Since my ECV has a battery bag + charger, that adds time to the process, as that must be x-rayed separately by the TSA (at least at our home airport and when departing MCO) Most TSA checkpoints will minimally have a wooden cane handy to help with balance if you need some extra help. You can ask to sit once you have cleared the scanner if needed. Remain calm and courteous and let TSA know this is your first time flying with the scooter, so you don't know exactly what to do.

Expect pushback if you are using a scooter and say that you can't stand or walk - Like a lot of other places in the world, scooter users are assumed to somewhat self-ambulatory, while wheelchair users are assumed to be non-ambulatory (Can't walk or stand unassisted).

- TSA will typically do a thorough visual inspection of the device and may swab it as well. They may swab the battery separately. They may swab your hands, shoes, or anything you brought along... Every time I fly, I wonder how I can be the person who sells TSA those swabs, because they use a *lot* of them!!!

- Unless you are TSA "Pre-Check" be prepared to remove shoes, put your cell phone in a bin, etc. just like everyone else. I send a family member through ahead of me, because that way they can "catch" my stuff when it has cleared the x-ray machine, and I don't have to worry about it sitting there while I am going through procedure.

- Once through TSA, I go directly to my departure gate. As soon as an airline employee appears to work that flight, I let them know that I will be gate checking my ECV and that I do not need an aisle chair. (I also have to discuss removal/storage of the battery for my particular ECV model with them). Sometimes, they will put the gate-check tags on right then, other times they will do it just before you board the plane. Be alert to boarding times, and keep an eye on the Gate Agent, as you will typically board in the first group.

- When it's time to board, you will typically be called in the first group. Carefully proceed down the Jetway ramp (don't try to make your first Disney ride a runaway ramp spectacular!) and when you get to the door of the plane, move to the side, and then hand the device off to a member of the ground crew (or a "host") once you have made it ready. It will be either stored inside the plane, or much more likely will be stowed under the plane in a cargo hold reserved for gate-checked equipment.

I don't fold my Travelscoot for flight - I *do* ride without the seat back on at Disney World (it's just so much easier - you can hop on and off like a tricycle by swinging one leg over the seat, plus it helps keep my core strong) but otherwise, to get it ready for flight, I only have to remove the battery, and any personal belongings from the red triangle, and I hand it off to whoever is in charge of getting it down to the tarmac.

Once on board, I let my flight attendant know that I have a battery bag with lithium ion batteries for my medical device. Typically they will place that bag in the very first bin in First Class, right up against the bulkhead, or directly over me. American Airlines has a rule that the Captain is notified where that bag is for safety. Once that is settled, I take my seat, and get ready to go like everyone else.

- Enjoy your flight!

- Towards the end of your flight, ask a flight attendant to let you know when your device is ready after you land; give them a brief description of what it will look like. Just like the buses at WDW, when you fly, you will load first, but get off last, so be prepared to wait a bit. Typically the plane is 50% or greater "unloaded" by the time I get my ECV back outside the door of the plane. The FA's will tell you if/when it's OK to move forward to be closer to the door.

(If you have a connecting flight, like I do, be sure to add some extra time between flights to allow for the retrieval of your device at the connecting airport. These days, I usually add at least 45 minutes, just for safety and sanity; depending on the connecting airport - I'm looking at you, DFW - I may add as much as an hour to and hour and a half.) With a connecting flight, it's lather, rinse, repeat, until you get to MCO!

- Once at MCO, you will head to baggage claim, and when you have your bags, then on to DME.

- DME (Disney's Magical Express) will store the device under the coach with the luggage, if you can make the stairs - if not, then you can ride on the device after it is placed on the lift, which is a ramp/platform, and then transfer to a seat on the bus.

The lift procedure for the DME bus is unlike any other transportation lift used at WDW - you back (backwards) on to the ramp platform, then ride up, reverse backwards into the bus, and this will then allow you to drive forward when coming back out of the bus at the Resort. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO DRIVE VERY ACCURATELY AND SLOWLY.

fAlthough there are spotty reports that people have been allowed to stand without a personal mobility device on the platform while it was lifted to the interior floor of the bus, I have never seen this, and have been regularly told by DME drivers that it is not allowed under any circumstance for safety and insurance reasons.

Hope all of this is helpful!

Let us know if you have any more questions 🙂
mamabunny, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I received it in an email notification and immediately forwarded it on to my husband. His situation is a tad different....he's got leg braces and has a larger ECV with heavy batteries that he can't carry. You've given us a lot of food for thought. He did recently contact American Airlines to discuss, but whomever we got on the phone made it seem like it was no big deal....just drive the ECV up to the gate and it will be checked. Obviously, there are a lot more considerations we have to think of...as in how do we get the batteries into the plane. I guess we thought the airline would handle it. :-)

TSA will also be different for him. He's got leg braces. It's doubtful he'll be able to stand upright with arms raised for 5-10 seconds. Now I remember why we opted for driving to the World the last decade. He accepts his disability but dislikes that it places him in a position of always being subject to more indepth search by the TSA.

Your description of the platform on the DME bus reminds me of the old Disney busses and the lift we dubbed their tower of terror. Not fun when they weren't working or malfunctioned midway up!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. It's extremely helpful!!!

mamabunny, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I received it in an email notification and immediately forwarded it on to my husband. His situation is a tad different....he's got leg braces and has a larger ECV with heavy batteries that he can't carry. You've given us a lot of food for thought. He did recently contact American Airlines to discuss, but whomever we got on the phone made it seem like it was no big deal....just drive the ECV up to the gate and it will be checked. Obviously, there are a lot more considerations we have to think of...as in how do we get the batteries into the plane. I guess we thought the airline would handle it. :-)

TSA will also be different for him. He's got leg braces. It's doubtful he'll be able to stand upright with arms raised for 5-10 seconds. Now I remember why we opted for driving to the World the last decade. He accepts his disability but dislikes that it places him in a position of always being subject to more indepth search by the TSA.

Your description of the platform on the DME bus reminds me of the old Disney busses and the lift we dubbed their tower of terror. Not fun when they weren't working or malfunctioned midway up!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. It's extremely helpful!!!

I just LOL'd at the "Tower of Terror" reference - the first time I did that DME lift I thought for sure I was going to go right off that platform and spend my Disney vacation in an Orlando hospital!

When it comes to TSA, from this page, we have this information:

TSA Cares is a helpline that provides travelers with disabilities, medical conditions and other special circumstances additional assistance during the security screening process.​
Contact us 72 hours prior to traveling with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint. You may call (855) 787-2227 or email TSA Cares.​

Now, let's talk about his ECV. Depending on the model, *some* medical devices do not remove the batteries prior to flight. This is determined by a lot of factors, not the least of which is what kind of battery chemistry the batteries employ, and how/where on the unit they are situated. On the TravelScoot the battery is exposed - it literally becomes a structural element of sorts upon installation - but most importantly, it is a Lithium Ion battery pack that is at the federally mandated limit for size. So, it's going to be treated all differently than a device that has a fully enclosed battery that is lead acid (or some other type) and is not meant to be folded on a regular basis.

TL;DR not all devices have to have the batteries removed and carried into the cabin. If in the past when you flew with that device, you didn't have to worry about it, then you probably won't have to now.

To be extra sure, you can always call American Airlines again (the chances of getting the same person on the line are slim to none... and Slim left town!) with the manufacturer's model name/number as well as the weight of the unit, and how many/what kind (Li-on, lead acid, etc.) of batteries it uses. Just tell them you need to make sure that you won't have to take the batteries out at the aircraft doorway, because you won't have tools or the ability to lift the batteries and carry them into the cabin. Then, give them your record locator for your flights, and ask that person to make a note in the system that you have confirmed with their office that no disassembly will be required prior to boarding.

We have been driving (1202 miles from my front door to Wilderness Lodge, my favorite place in the world...) for years now, mostly because my (adult) daughter and I love to take those days of driving, and we talk, and catch up, and enjoy watching the landscape change as we head down to Orlando. Coming home, we don't have that "shock" to the system of leaving Orlando in the morning, (and all of the Magic) and then arriving home a few hours later to reality. The drive down and back allows us to ease into - and back out of! - our Disney bubble.

Plus, our local airport is horribly underserved (ironic, given that American Airlines has a huge base here) and we often find that getting seats - even paying full "rack rate" is stupidly difficult during the days/times we would want to fly. Ironically, if we are headed in the opposite direction, to the west coast, it's no problem. I guess everyone here is running away from home to Disney World! LOL

Regardless of how you travel on this next trip, just remember that with a bit of advanced planning, you should be able to fly to/from MCO (or anywhere else!) with no problems. If you don't have TSA PreCheck (or one of the other "trusted traveler" programs) I highly recommend getting it; it does help smooth out some of the bumps as well.

Do remember to plan to pick up your own luggage for DME if you fly in, as they are currently *not* handling luggage delivery to the Resorts since reopening after the closure; pack accordingly! 🙂

I just LOL'd at the "Tower of Terror" reference - the first time I did that DME lift I thought for sure I was going to go right off that platform and spend my Disney vacation in an Orlando hospital!

Again, thank you so much for this information. Fortunately, I get the message as a notification in my email and am able to forward them to DH. It's spurring him on to find out more information. For example, his battery type isn't listed online as being allowable, but when he called and talked to the airline rep, found out his are fine. Definitely on the path to being very well informed before our flights! :-)

2.) They drop you off where the check in to the airlines is. Some airlines have their counters as soon as you walk in the door, but some (like Spirit) are in the middle of nowhere and it’s a long trek just to get to them. There are skycaps to help you with the luggage too
My memory is DME loads and drops off on level one. Airline check in is on level three Some airlines, including SW are on the opposite side of the airport requiring a walk across the airport.

Last edited:
My memory is DME loads and drops off on level one. Airline check in is on level three Some airlines, including SW are on the opposite side of the airport requiring a walk across the airport.

Do you return to DME's location in the airport when you are getting dropped off for departure?

Do you return to DME's location in the airport when you are getting dropped off for departure?

Yes.

Many years ago they used to drop you off at the departure area for your airline, but that is no longer done and hasn't been for a while.

In Dec 2019 we were dropped off in an area right beside (the side closer to baggage claim) where DME loads to go to the resorts.

It can be challenging getting assistance in this area as there isn't a help desk nearby and sometimes there aren't people waiting to provide assistance, though sometimes there are.

If there are two of you and one of you is fully mobile and able to go get assistance, that will be your best bet. The DME *desk* is nearby and may be able to contact skycap assistance for you. Also, there is probably an airport assistance phone on a pillar somewhere, though I am not sure where [presumably there is a sign]. Finally, there is baggage claim down the hall and that should have luggage carts and porters at it.

Thank you @Lewisc and @Starwind ! It's good to know to plan for this. We have a group of 6...with 4 in their 20s, so we should be able to manage just fine. :)

Looks like my airline is actually in same terminal in same section, just a few floors up. So, I'm assuming no curbside luggage....I would have to go to the airline checkin desk with my luggage?

About 10+ years ago, this was a major turnoff to DME for us. We were flying SW and where we were dropped off there was nothing....but we were fortunate a lone skycap was in the area and able to take our things. He earned a healthy tip! The turnoff was thinking about the possibility of having to manage without a skycap.

Thank you @Lewisc and @Starwind ! It's good to know to plan for this. We have a group of 6...with 4 in their 20s, so we should be able to manage just fine. :)

Looks like my airline is actually in same terminal in same section, just a few floors up. So, I'm assuming no curbside luggage....I would have to go to the airline checkin desk with my luggage?

About 10+ years ago, this was a major turnoff to DME for us. We were flying SW and where we were dropped off there was nothing....but we were fortunate a lone skycap was in the area and able to take our things. He earned a healthy tip! The turnoff was thinking about the possibility of having to manage without a skycap.

The curbside luggage assistance is on the departures level which I believe is the same level as the checkin level. It isn't at the DME level, which is the same level as baggage claim [i.e. "arrivals"].

With a group like that you may be able to manage just fine without assistance :-)

One thing to consider as well, aside from the number of your bags, is the type, though this could incur cost.

I have fallen in love with spinner suitcases, those ones with the 4 independently spinning wheels. If you get quality ones, they make it SOOOO much easier to move the bags. Though you have to also be careful with them, because if they are on a slight incline they can try to run away on you ;-)

But with spinner bags, I have managed to wrangle 4 27"(*) suitcases + 4 carryon + 2 personal items. Myself. I don't recommend doing that many with a single person, but it CAN be done :-) How ? the large suitcases go back to back in pairs with their handles to each other. Human then holds onto the double handle, one pair on each side - that is the main anchor. There are then a couple ways to handle the carryon. One is to stack them one each sideways ontop the larger suitcases - use small luggage straps or similar to tie them to the extended handle of the larger case; then carry the personal item. The other, which is more stable, but takes more horizontal space, is put one carryon on the ground on each side of the sets of larger, tethered to the close-in handle (consider using a luggage strap around the body too), then lighter carryons strapped on top of inner larger ones, personal item either carried or secured with trolly strap on outer larger item. Hopefully this makes sense. Wish I had a picture to share.

I have also tethered upto three large or two large and a carryon together front-to-back to each other. When tethering that way, I suggest tethering through the top handles but then also consider using a luggage strap around their bodies to do one to the one next to it, that way they don't try to pull apart as much [sometimes they won't at all, but if they decide they want to, it is nice having the strap there].

It really does work. Lets you wrangle the bags. You can practice at home with them empty [or full] to get an idea of what works best. Keep in mind when full gravity, inertia and centres of gravity all play a roll in how they move.

WIth old-style luggage you could do this, but they had to tilt to be able to roll them and it put quite a strain and weight on your arms. With the spinner wheels *they stay upright* and it really can go pretty smoothly depending on the weight and centres of gravity involved.

Some screenshots taken from Google images [search: tether luggage together ] of what i mean:

Many years ago they used to drop you off at the departure area for your airline, but that is no longer done and hasn't been for a while.
DME buses never dropped off on level 3. Years ago some airlines experimented with a small checkin area on level 1.

Years ago DME dropped of on the A and B side of MCO, both on level 1.

The driver can page for a skycap. Ask. One of your party could go up to level 1 and get a skycap. You can ask a DME employee to page a skycap.

The curbside luggage assistance is on the departures level which I believe is the same level as the checkin level. It isn't at the DME level, which is the same level as baggage claim [i.e. "arrivals"].

With a group like that you may be able to manage just fine without assistance :-)

One thing to consider as well, aside from the number of your bags, is the type, though this could incur cost.

I have fallen in love with spinner suitcases, those ones with the 4 independently spinning wheels. If you get quality ones, they make it SOOOO much easier to move the bags. Though you have to also be careful with them, because if they are on a slight incline they can try to run away on you ;-)

But with spinner bags, I have managed to wrangle 4 27"(*) suitcases + 4 carryon + 2 personal items. Myself. I don't recommend doing that many with a single person, but it CAN be done :-) How ? the large suitcases go back to back in pairs with their handles to each other. Human then holds onto the double handle, one pair on each side - that is the main anchor. There are then a couple ways to handle the carryon. One is to stack them one each sideways ontop the larger suitcases - use small luggage straps or similar to tie them to the extended handle of the larger case; then carry the personal item. The other, which is more stable, but takes more horizontal space, is put one carryon on the ground on each side of the sets of larger, tethered to the close-in handle (consider using a luggage strap around the body too), then lighter carryons strapped on top of inner larger ones, personal item either carried or secured with trolly strap on outer larger item. Hopefully this makes sense. Wish I had a picture to share.

I have also tethered upto three large or two large and a carryon together front-to-back to each other. When tethering that way, I suggest tethering through the top handles but then also consider using a luggage strap around their bodies to do one to the one next to it, that way they don't try to pull apart as much [sometimes they won't at all, but if they decide they want to, it is nice having the strap there].

It really does work. Lets you wrangle the bags. You can practice at home with them empty [or full] to get an idea of what works best. Keep in mind when full gravity, inertia and centres of gravity all play a roll in how they move.

WIth old-style luggage you could do this, but they had to tilt to be able to roll them and it put quite a strain and weight on your arms. With the spinner wheels *they stay upright* and it really can go pretty smoothly depending on the weight and centres of gravity involved.

Some screenshots taken from Google images [search: tether luggage together ] of what i mean:

View attachment 539883

View attachment 539884

View attachment 539885
View attachment 539886

I knew what you meant... but heaven help me, all I could think about was in "Joe Vs. The Volcano" when they lash all of the trunks together to form a raft/island LOL... And I had a mental picture of you "sailing" that raft down the concourse at MCO... 😆🤣😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter