Ecv riders I hate to get in your business

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
How do you put up with the comments? especially if you look healthy dh just looks obese when he where's pants they can't see the AFO, and when someone hurts him physically or mentally my first instinct is to tear them down .dh feels the same about me so point being I guess the best answer in this case is just to ignore them

Just pretend you don't hear them or that you aren't paying attention is the best way to handle it. People can be so mean, so if you don't give them the satisfaction that they got to you, you will be the bigger person.

I'm not skinny and either I haven't heard a comment or I've been lucky it hasn't happen to me. I would absolutely ignore. It's not worth it on vacation to let someone ruin it.

How do you put up with the comments? especially if you look healthy dh just looks obese when he where's pants they can't see the AFO, and when someone hurts him physically or mentally my first instinct is to tear them down .dh feels the same about me so point being I guess the best answer in this case is just to ignore them
most people are way too into there own vacation to really worry about anyone else. Enjoy your vacation and if someone says something to your DH that is there problem not your, you know why he uses an ECV ( or what ever mobility device he is using) and this is all that matters

I use a wheelchair, rather than an ECV, but you find morons whatever your mode of transport. I find being sickeningly cheerful at people confuses them and gives you a laugh! Lines such as "aren't you just a little ray of sunshine today!" or "And you have a magical day too, hon" will completely throw them. Other options include: laugh at them (if they want to spoil their holiday, then they're the idiots who will suffer for it) or just outright ignore them (they don't deserve your time). It can also be fun to plot your revenge with your other half, just don't actually act on it!

You don't look sick...you don't look disabled... If I had a nickel for every time someone said that to me I'd be rich LOL!!!
My reply out loud is (with a great big smile) not all disabilities are visible. In my head I'm saying you don't look stupid!
Just keep smiling and enjoy yourself!!

In my head I'm saying you don't look stupid!
Just keep smiling and enjoy yourself!!

I have a friend that does not look disabled at all and they use an ECV at Disney someone said to her that she was using the ECV to cut the lines and so on she turned around and said well you did not look stupid until you opened your mouth, This guest did not said a word to us the rest of the time we were in line ( mind you we were in the FP line because of my disability) any way this person has gone to Disney more time then I do ( and I go about once a month) and this was the only time that someone has said anything to her. As Said before most people are too into there own vacation to care about you. the worst you will get is someone not watching were they are going and cut you off run into you, but this will happen wether in a ECV or not.

I have a friend that does not look disabled at all and they use an ECV at Disney someone said to her that she was using the ECV to cut the lines and so on she turned around and said well you did not look stupid until you opened your mouth, This guest did not said a word to us the rest of the time we were in line ( mind you we were in the FP line because of my disability) any way this person has gone to Disney more time then I do ( and I go about once a month) and this was the only time that someone has said anything to her. As Said before most people are too into there own vacation to care about you. the worst you will get is someone not watching were they are going and cut you off run into you, but this will happen wether in a ECV or not.

That was the response I was hoping for that everyone was into there own vacations to care what mine are up to

I just rented a scooter last week because I pulled a ligament in my knee the week before. I wondered if I would get any weird comments. No one said a word. It was not obvious why I was on a scooter, at all.

Thus far, no one has made comments to my mom (her problem is her back but if they ever do, I pity them. Mom has no filter and will say what she feels. The only issue I have faced were a family behind us letting their kids run around us and they would grab on to scooter or try to climb on the side. Mom told the kids to stop and they didn't and parents didn't want to. I turned around and gave the mom a look. She asked if the kids were bothering us and I told her what they were doing. Her next response was a snarky, "well, then you should tell them to behave. The won't listen to me." I replied that I didn't pop all of them out, so they aren't my responsibility.

Last edited:
Thus far, no one has made comments to my mom (her problem is her back but if they ever do, I pity them. Mom has no filter and will say what she feels. The only issue I have faced were a family behind us letting their kids run around us and they would grab on to scooter or try to climb on the side. Mom told the kids to stop and they didn't and parents didn't want to. I turned around and gave the mom a look. She asked if the kids were bothering us and I told her what they were doing. Her next response was a snarky, "well, then you should tell them to behave. The you won't listen to me." I replied that I didn't pop all of them out, so they aren't my responsibility.

Am I reading this right kids where hanging all over your moms scooter and the kids mom wanted you to discipline them

Am I reading this right kids where hanging all over your moms scooter and the kids mom wanted you to discipline them

Yep, exactly, we were in line for the safari in AK. There was a Little Rock/pavement stone ledge on either side of the walkway. We were closer to one side, the left side. The kids were Kinda chasing each other on the ledge and when they got to us, was using mom's scooter as a handrail. They would get barely in front of us, dart in front of the scooter and back around to do it all again.

Those were the mom's actual words about telling her kids to behave.

Just realized part of the moms quote is messed up. She said "they won't listen to me"

Yep, exactly, we were in line for the safari in AK. There was a Little Rock/pavement stone ledge on either side of the walkway. We were closer to one side, the left side. The kids were Kinda chasing each other on the ledge and when they got to us, was using mom's scooter as a handrail. They would get barely in front of us, dart in front of the scooter and back around to do it all again.

Those were the mom's actual words about telling her kids to behave.

Just realized part of the moms quote is messed up. She said "they won't listen to me"

That sounds like her problem not yours

I have actually been told "You are too pretty to be in a wheelchair!" Which just proves that they are not terribly intelligent.

I actually pity those people who seem to want to make my wheelchair and disability their business. They are in the happiest place on earth, paying a fortune to be there, and they are concerned about whether I "really" need my wheelchair.

These are people who are determined to be miserable, and have decided to use me as an excuse to do so. I feel bad for them, and they certainly frustrate me, but I do not let them ruin my vacation...

I was wondering the same thing the first time I rented an ECV. I'm so sensitive to those comments and was sure I'd just collapse in tears. Yet, you know what happened? No one said anything! And my hearing's excellent! The first day, I drove into a cone when I was trying to manuever around a tight turn, and I looked around, sure someone would say anything. Someone did-a man looked at me, smiled, and said "I didn't see a thing." Boy, did I feel better!

I guess I have thin skin because it ALWAYS hurts my feelings:sad: and I immediately feel like I've done something wrong.:sad2:
You can't imagine how much these boards help. I've been lurking for years and several braver-than-me souls have said, "They are just ignorant. I'm not going to let them ruin my day." I'm not there yet but I'm trying.What hurts more though is when people you have known for years suddenly don't see you as you're using your disability helper. I'm afraid I haven't taken that well at all.

I guess I have thin skin because it ALWAYS hurts my feelings:sad: and I immediately feel like I've done something wrong.:sad2:
You can't imagine how much these boards help. I've been lurking for years and several braver-than-me souls have said, "They are just ignorant. I'm not going to let them ruin my day." I'm not there yet but I'm trying.What hurts more though is when people you have known for years suddenly don't see you as you're using your disability helper. I'm afraid I haven't taken that well at all.

You and I are on the same page next to my aunt I feel like I can take the prize for being the most sensitive person

I have a son with ASD, I have fibromyalgia, major pins and screws in my back, arthritis in my hips, and my husband has ALS. When we go to Disney people KNOW we are there ..lol and I couldn't give a flying elephants ball who says what about us.. they wanna waist their stinky breath having a go at me. That's their business.. at the end of the day we go back to the hotel with a smile on our faces because he have chosen to have fun..

Hope you have a great trip

I am a fairly recent ECV user (less than 6 months) except for once after an injury a decade ago. I personally would be grateful and say "thank you" if someone were to tell me that I didn't look disabled. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!