• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV questions

ougrad86

OU Sooners Football Fan!
:flower: My mother-in-law may be coming with us when we go to WDW. My concern is her age (75). WDW is big, and I was thinking about renting an ECV when we go to the parks. She would not need it for general getting around say at World Showcase (lots of places to sit and rest and browse), but for the spaces at MK, AK and MGM I think it would make it easier for her. She is in reasonably good health, but I know you can walk many miles. :faint:
However, how easy is it to rent on in the parks and if we leave one park, I know you can pick up one at the next park. How easy is it to get one? Do I arrange ahead? We don't want to rent outside because hauling it around would be a pain (we're doing Disney transportation).
Also, what do we do about rides? Get in line with her off to one side until ready to board (I don't really want her to stand for long periods either), and then have her come with us or is there a waiting area? She can ride alot of the rides, just standing and going the distance that worries me. :worried:
I tried checking around but I counldn't find the info I needed and I looked at another thread here, but still not sure!
:disrocks:

If you go back to the disAbility page there is FAQ's thread that should help.

Hi Ougrad86! I so can relate to you! I'm taking my Mom with us next August. She'll be 76. She's in good shape for her age, but she is a diabetic (doing very well though) and she's getting up there in age. I keep telling her she should consider a scooter, but she's so darn stuborn. I finally convinced her today to at least consider using one. I may rent from an off-property place that was referred to on the FAQ thread (Randy's). They are $30 a day, and are supposed to be easier to use. I read that sometimes the ecv's are all rented out at the parks, so I don't want to chance it. I'm not sure how to handle getting in line though. I assume she parks the ecv and waits in line with us. :confused3 Does anyone know for sure? We get a GAC for my sons autism, but he doesn't always use it.

Except for a few lines in MK just about all lines are accessible for wheelchairs and ECVs. There are a few where you have to transfer from an ECV to a loaner wheelchair, such as RnRC and Star Tours, or if the wait is not too long I wil just park my ECV and walk.

I know Judy was much happier when I started using an ECV because I no longer slowed us down by my (fairly) constantly needing to stop and rest for a few minutes.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread has a link to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. If you clik on the "mobility" guidebook, you will find a list of Mainstream attractions (those where wheelchair and ecv users wait in the same line with everyone else). As Cheshire Figment noted, most of the lines are accessible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter