• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV question...

Shelby5514

<font color=87005b>John Taylor is my guilty pleasu
By DH and I will be bringing his parents and my mother to WDW in Feb 2006. MIL has just had knee replacement surgery and is moving fairly good but I know she will not be able to do alot of walking. Also my mother goes like the energizer bunny at WDW but pays for it with serious leg cramps throughout the night.

What are the requirements, if any, for renting a ECV for them to tour the parks? Both can walk, but I know MIL will be limited. She does have a handicap tag for the car, my mother does not. We would just need to rent at the parks.

No requirement to rent one, just pay the money. However, ECVs run out very early in the day, so you would have to be there at park opening to get one.

If you park hop later in the afternoon, there is no guarantee that you would get another one at the next park.

See the FAQ at the top of this forum that gives great info on outside rentals.

They are basically the same price as renting in Disney parks, but then it is yours for your entire stay, and for park hopping.

Carol

clkelley said:
No requirement to rent one, just pay the money. However, ECVs run out very early in the day, so you would have to be there at park opening to get one.

If you park hop later in the afternoon, there is no guarantee that you would get another one at the next park.

See the FAQ at the top of this forum that gives great info on outside rentals.

They are basically the same price as renting in Disney parks, but then it is yours for your entire stay, and for park hopping.

Carol

so you cannot take them from park to park with you without getting new one's at the new park?

No!

Stroller, Wheelchairs, and ECVs can only be used in the park they were rented in.

If you park hop, you can show your receipt and get another stroller, wheelchair, or ECV at the next park for no charge, but they cannot be moved from park to park.

ECV availability later in the day is next to impossible.

Carol

clkelley said:
ECV availability later in the day is next to impossible. Carol

This is one of the BIG reasons I began renting an ECV from an off site supplier. I can have the ECV wherever & whenever I need it!

If we rent a ECV from one of the outside companies will we be able to take them on the Disney buses and how hard are they to load? We will not be able to transport it in our vehicle.
Thanks!

Absolutely!!

There is a door and a lift or ramp near the back of all Disney buses. You can stay on the ECV and back it onto the lift, then park it in the special place on the bus, then they will tie it down.

If you are not comfortable about driving and parking it on the bus, then the ECV can be put into freewheel mode and pushed onto the lift ramp, then pushed into position on the bus.

Easy!

Carol

Shelby5514 said:
If we rent a ECV from one of the outside companies will we be able to take them on the Disney buses and how hard are they to load?
All of the Disney buses are either lift or ramp equipped. The oldest have the lifts, the medium ones have a ramp, and the newest ones have a lower ramp which is easiet to manage. Note there is a limit of two ECVs or opoen wheelchairs per bus.

We will not be able to transport it in our vehicle.
Normally almost any four door sedan can take a disassembled ECV. It is not possible (I tried) to fit two rental size ECVs, even broken down in a car.

As far as the monorails are concrned, it is possible to get four ECVs in one train. The Freindships (and larger) have no problems at all.

I just got back from WDW and renting a scooter from an outside rental agency for the first time and I had the best time that I can ever remember.

You can't go wrong renting from an outside vendor.

I used all of the WDW bus transportations, boat launches, and ferry boat without much of a problem for using them the first time.

I'll be writing a report about my experiences soon.

Have a great time.

Ray

I've got to add my 2 cents here. I used to rent ECV from the parks all the time and it is very frustrating and nearly impossible to get one after 11:00am. You hold on to your receipt when you leave one park and give it to them in the next park without having to pay but its the availability that is lacking. Last year I broke down and rented an ECV and let me tell you what a delight! I had it for everything. It is well worth the $ and it is really the same price that they rent at the parks but you have it charged at once. I would suggest that since it seems your Mom and MIL can do a little walking maybe they can share one, it would be less expensive and less burdensome than 2 ECV, specially if you are taking them your car all the time. If you are using the WDW transportation, then by all means rent the 2, we had 2 with us last year (my sister has Fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis) so we both had one and we went every where in them. Have a great trip! :moped:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter