ECV on Minnie Van?

I'm reviving this thread. Has anyone used the accessible Minnie Vans lately? I was a little surprised to read that (at least when this thread began) that these vans were only available at certain resorts. Has this changed?

Used it back in December. It is available everywhere, BUT,... you must call the special number to get the accessible van and they recommend at least one hour before departure you should call.

Thanks for reassuring me that I won't need to stay in one of the most expensive resorts to use this service!

I was going to respond individually to some posts, but there would be so many that this isn't practical, but we actually had three ECVs in our group in January and used the Minnie Vans a few times as a result, here is the information:

• First off, you must call the number 407-828-3500 to get the Minnie Van
    • They do recommend calling at least an hour in advance; however, on a day when it was pouring rain and we didn't want to deal with the bus back to our resort, we called and they were there within about 15 minutes.
  • You pay using your room number (I am not sure how it would work if you don't have charging privileges)
  • They have a few vehicles that can handle two ECVs and if one person remains on their ECV, then these vehicles can handle up to a total of 6 passengers, depending on size of the passengers or so we were told, we were a party of 6 with three ECVs, so unable to really test the max number of people out
    • These vehicles do cost slightly more than the ones that can only hold one ECV. The price difference for going from Fort Wilderness (Pioneer Hall) to Kidani was $0.01 for the entire trip and they were insistent that we must know and agree to the price difference of a penny. So, when I say slightly, I do indeed mean slightly.
  • They have a lift that loads from the back of the vans.
    • A note about the lift, there is a lip at the front that if it is pushed even 1/64" it will prevent the lift from working at all. They won't even be able to manually raise the lift, even the driver was unaware of this and it took us a good 10 minutes and them calling their supervisor before I finally backed up just a hair and I do mean a hair and it worked.
Overall, this works well if you need to quickly get from point A to point B, just know like the regular Minnie Vans, the cost could add up if you use it a lot.

• A note about the lift, there is a lip at the front that if it is pushed even 1/64" it will prevent the lift from working at all. They won't even be able to manually raise the lift, even the driver was unaware of this and it took us a good 10 minutes and them calling their supervisor before I finally backed up just a hair and I do mean a hair and it worked.
This is a good point about the size of the ECV

We rented once one of those big 4 wheel ones from "scooterbug" and it would not load on the lift because it was too big. For those wondering, Scooterbug supplies the ones used in the parks so that is the size ones I am talking about.

so keep that in mind

This is a good point about the size of the ECV

We rented once one of those big 4 wheel ones from "scooterbug" and it would not load on the lift because it was too big. For those wondering, Scooterbug supplies the ones used in the parks so that is the size ones I am talking about.

so keep that in mind
If they fit on the bus, they will fit on the Minnie Van Lifts, but just barely in some cases.

I won't rent from Scooterbug for this very reason, I find their units to be way under powered and batteries die very quickly, not to mention they are almost always in disrepair, such as USB ports not working, cracked, etc.

If they fit on the bus, they will fit on the Minnie Van Lifts, but just barely in some cases.

I won't rent from Scooterbug for this very reason, I find their units to be way under powered and batteries die very quickly, not to mention they are almost always in disrepair, such as USB ports not working, cracked, etc.

I agree that their scooters are getting worse and worse. Battery levels are horrible.

We travel a lot to disney (since we live 2 hours away) with someone who always needs a scooter and rented a lot. Last year we decided to just purchase our own. We got a 4 wheel Pride model that folds up into the trunk. Have taken it with us now over a dozen times to Disney and it is SO MUCH BETTER THAN RENTING!!

I agree that their scooters are getting worse and worse. Battery levels are horrible.

We travel a lot to disney (since we live 2 hours away) with someone who always needs a scooter and rented a lot. Last year we decided to just purchase our own. We got a 4 wheel Pride model that folds up into the trunk. Have taken it with us now over a dozen times to Disney and it is SO MUCH BETTER THAN RENTING!!
Luckily, I am not at the point where I need to buy one yet, but even if I were, I would probably still rent from Gold Mobility when going to Disney World. We are from California and we would have to fly with the ECV, plus if something happened and it broke down in the parks, we would have to get it out of the parks, Gold Mobility will bring a replacement unit to wherever you are in the parks in the highly unlikely event they break down. And their battery doesn't even drop a bar (except at Animal Kingdom and then only one) even from park open to close.

We do go to Disneyland a lot and most days I do not need an ECV there, but Disney World is a lot bigger and it is needed there.

But I am looking at getting a scooter for my mom, what 4 wheel pride model did you find that folds up?

But I am looking at getting a scooter for my mom, what 4 wheel pride model did you find that folds up?

We got the Go-Go Sport 4 wheel. I highly highly recommend it. So so easy to take apart and fit in the trunk. We have a mid size car and fits very easily in the trunk in 4 pieces. Heaviest piece is 40lbs. We have gone from 9am until 9pm in Epcot doing at least 5 to 7 miles and by the end of day still have half battery life left. They also make it in a 3 wheel version but we felt the 4 wheel being a little more stable.

We got the Go-Go Sport 4 wheel. I highly highly recommend it. So so easy to take apart and fit in the trunk. We have a mid size car and fits very easily in the trunk in 4 pieces. Heaviest piece is 40lbs. We have gone from 9am until 9pm in Epcot doing at least 5 to 7 miles and by the end of day still have half battery life left. They also make it in a 3 wheel version but we felt the 4 wheel being a little more stable.
Take apart makes more sense, you had said it could be folded down, so I was confused.

One other thing I noticed no one mentioned about the ECV mini van. Because they charge this to your room, they don't have a way to add a tip on, like Uber or Lyft, so make sure you have some cash for tippage =D

One other thing I noticed no one mentioned about the ECV mini van. Because they charge this to your room, they don't have a way to add a tip on, like Uber or Lyft, so make sure you have some cash for tippage =D
We were told tipping was not necessary or expected with this service. The same goes for the regular Minnie Vans, as these are CMs paid by Disney World and are not considered tipped positions.

I could be wrong, but that is what the drivers told us.

No, not necessary. No tips are necessary though. But nice to do if you are able. I think the same rules that you use for tipping people who handle your luggage apply to the people who handle you where mobility assistance comes in. If not more so.

Not expected, but they can take a tip if you give them one. After all the loading of the ECV and such, I personally think they deserve it!
I thought so too, but the driver refused when we offered explaining what I said......so I figured that was how it worked for all.

No, not necessary. No tips are necessary though. But nice to do if you are able. I think the same rules that you use for tipping people who handle your luggage apply to the people who handle you where mobility assistance comes in. If not more so.
Only works if they will accept the tip though, as I sold our experience was the driver wouldn't.

We used the Minnie Van that accommodated an ECV earlier this month and it was a wonderful experience! Made the trip between BCV and WL so easy!

We were told if you needed two ECV’s to be transported another Minnie Van would be provided for no charge to accommodate up to “x” people, I forget the number.

How expensive was the ‘ecv’ Minnie Van if I may ask? DH struggling with lifting parts of gogo into rental van. Of course I help, actually doing most of the work. We plan on staying at Boardwalk next trip so less schlepping into the van to travel to parks. AK only park we would have to drive to. Minnie Van makes sense for that.

How expensive was the ‘ecv’ Minnie Van if I may ask? DH struggling with lifting parts of gogo into rental van. Of course I help, actually doing most of the work. We plan on staying at Boardwalk next trip so less schlepping into the van to travel to parks. AK only park we would have to drive to. Minnie Van makes sense for that.
It is the same price as the regular Minnie Van would be. The only time it may be more expensive (and we are talking pennies) is if you have two ECVs and need the Minnie Van that can accommodate such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter