ECV Etiquette in Bus Queue?

Of course kids, and children, and babies don't figure into what I said in my post... That's just silly... to even think that something like this would apply to kids... come on now... I think you know what I was talking about... Large Families or Groups, is what I said in my post.... trying to get out of standing in line and waiting their turn to get on a bus. Because one person in their party has a scooter... That's why they started having everyone go through the switchbacks to stop this type of scenario from happening...

Make no mistake DH and I both would stop to help you and your family out... :hug:

Just so you know we have given up our seats, many many times to let groups stay together, or let them ahead in line... I been on buses, have held other people kids on my lap that I did not even know to help out a parents in a jam... DH and I held a set of twins babies, standing up on a Disney bus one time at the end of the day heading back to the resort, both sound asleep... the bus was packed, and the young couple had 4 little ones... and 2 double strollers. We got off at their stop, It was quite a production, 4 little ones all asleep, 4 adults, and 2 folded up double strollers, two ladies got off and offered to help, they did not know us or them, but they wanted to help... and took the babies from the guys, and DH and the Dad of the kids opened the strollers up, and we all got them into the strollers... The mom looked at me and said you remind me so much of my mom, she just jumps right in to help to.. and asked if she could hug us, and of course we all gladly hugged her ... there we were 6 strangers, hugging each other, Disney magic, pixie dust yes I'm sure ... I think mostly just people helping out other people... We are all in the world together, and we need to help each other...
not saying you but as I say that trip someone yell that he should have to stand in line by himself because only one person should be allowed so yes it does happen. he at that time would not have let you help him as was not accepting of strangers. it was the same trip where I have told this story many times about young teen girl who decided she was going to help him when he didnt want help and bit her on shoulder at pool when she did what she wanted to do not what was asked of her. all because she did not think he should be going under water coming down the slide. he had just learned how to go under water and was trilled to show off. when her child was bit other was not happy that CM would not remove us from the pool cause she was just doing what was right. but back to bus story I never saw who wanted him to board by self but as I was loaded I could hear her complaining how we got to have an extra person get on when we should not have been able. so yes it does happen if even if it is not you

Maybe if they allowed one other adult plus any children with the WC/ECV this would work. In one way it is common sense to ask larger parties to split up - on the other hand I can see a family with 3 little kids, 2 parents and grandma in the ECV and leaving one parent in line with 3 little kids could also be a problem if that parent has to struggle with perhaps 2 toddlers in a double stroller and a 5 year old. They kinda all need to go together. No one size fits all solution.

I think the best solution is to have everyone go through the line together to get on the bus and go from there. I much prefer it when I have been allowed to do that. However, I've also seen when the lines are VERY long for the bus that there are way more ECV/WC than busses so people in the lines get on faster (ahead of where a person in the ECV would have gotten on if they were not in the ECV).

In the end I've taken to leaving the park either early or late to avoid the common rush times (like after fireworks) and having my family take an Uber. They get back and shower first (or I do if I left early) and that works well for us. I also think that this is why transportation options like the skyline or monorail work better than the bus in these situations. Hopefully they will come up with some more alternatives.

I travel with my Mom who uses an ECV. It is just the 2 of us, so I always board with her. Most are not bothered by that.

Several years ago, we boarded at Boardwalk. There were 5 ECVs waiting for the same park, but we were ECV 1 so we were first on. ECV 2 in the mess was boarded with her like 19 family members (Grandma, 3-4 kids + spouses, and a gaggle of grandkids). They took up the entire back section of the bus (seriously). They piled about 20 bags on the ECV for the ride too. When others got on, the woman next to me was complaining about all the people getting on with the ECVs. I pointed out that I was with the one and we were just a party of 2. She says - Oh, we did not mind you getting on with your Mom, but we took issue with that huge number of people with the other one. That family was rude in many other ways, so not surprised that they thought nothing of boarding 19 people with 1 ECV

Several years ago, we boarded at Boardwalk. There were 5 ECVs waiting for the same park, but we were ECV 1 so we were first on. ECV 2 in the mess was boarded with her like 19 family members (Grandma, 3-4 kids + spouses, and a gaggle of grandkids). They took up the entire back section of the bus (seriously). They piled about 20 bags on the ECV for the ride too. When others got on, the woman next to me was complaining about all the people getting on with the ECVs. I pointed out that I was with the one and we were just a party of 2. She says - Oh, we did not mind you getting on with your Mom, but we took issue with that huge number of people with the other one. That family was rude in many other ways, so not surprised that they thought nothing of boarding 19 people with 1 ECV

Can't say I'm surprised about being upset about so many people boarding with the ECV That's where I think the bus driver might need some additional training, especially now, when buses are taking fewer passengers

I've seen one man hurry to get on with the ECV family while they were boarding. When we got on, he was sitting up front away from the family and did not interact with them. When the door opened he jumped up and ran off.
So, it was obvious he used the family so he could be first on the bus and first off the bus.
There's always one jerk in the crowd. grrr.

Can't say I'm surprised about being upset about so many people boarding with the ECV That's where I think the bus driver might need some additional training, especially now, when buses are taking fewer passengers

Oh I agree with you 100%. I would be annoyed by that too. Drivers should do the limiting on the groups.

Random question...is it necessary to charge ECV every night? Even when only used for 2 hrs during day in park?

It's always best to charge every night. In August, thr ee adults, and every one thought some one else had charged it. Well no one did. we used it the next day. Made it, but worried as the day went on about the battery going.

there should be a battery charge indicator on the control box, see if it's still "green"

Random question...is it necessary to charge ECV every night? Even when only used for 2 hrs during day in park?

It may not be necessary, but it's definitely advisable I speak from personal experience! I admit that I forgot to charge my ECV one night I'm about a 6 hour a day park person Fortunately, my ECV did last that second day, but I stressed so much, worried about if it would last, that I'll probably never forget to charge it overnight again

It may not be necessary, but it's definitely advisable I speak from personal experience! I admit that I forgot to charge my ECV one night I'm about a 6 hour a day park person Fortunately, my ECV did last that second day, but I stressed so much, worried about if it would last, that I'll probably never forget to charge it overnight again

Thanks. I just asked because I’m at CSR in GDT and it’s so hard to get the ECV in the room while trying to hold door open.

Thanks. I just asked because I’m at CSR in GDT and it’s so hard to get the ECV in the room while trying to hold door open.

You need to keep the ECV in your room every night. It's important.

You don't want someone to come along and push it down to the pool... and then Into the pool... Or maybe they just "hide" it somewhere, and you spend the next morning searching the Resort for your ECV, instead of having fun. Additionally, Cast Members could always come along and move it, because it is blocking the sidewalk (those sidewalks are supposed to stay clear) and could call the vendor and report it as "abandoned". There's a whole bunch of reasons to NOT leave it outside your room, and one very important one:

It needs to be in your room, plugged in and charging every night so that you have a full day of fun the next day!

I *know* it's hard to get them in and out of the room - that is a bigger problem at the Moderate and Value Resorts that open to the outside because of the threshold between the interior floor and the exterior sidewalk. Since you are there now, I would chat with the folks at the front desk, and ask if they have a door stop you can borrow for the remainder of your trip (and then leave in the room when you check out).

If they don't have a doorstop you can borrow, you need to either wedge something in the door frame (on the hinge side - between the edge of the door, and the edge of the frame) or if you can pull a chair from the table over by the door, you can maybe position it so that it will help hold the door open.

I have a "Stoppy" that I carry on a long length of ribbon - with the ribbon, I can wedge it under the door, on the floor under the door handle, and loop the ribbon around the door handle so I don't have to bend over again to pick it up (I have an increasingly limited range of motion) but you can also wedge a Stoppy between the door edge and the door frame as well. It's very helpful in other places (like bathroom doors) as well! 🙂

Gonna second what mamabunny said, never leave your ECV outside your room. It is a bad idea for so many reasons. Have a great trip.

The opposite scenario happens too. Back in March '19 we decided not to rent a car. There's 3 of us and DH needs an ECV. Not sure if it's changed but some buses only had room for 1 ECV, others had space for 2. It wasn't unusual to end up needing to wait for the 3rd bus or even 4th bus due to ECVs ahead of us, and people who got in line long after us all got on buses before ours.

ECVs lose the bus game too. Win some, lose some. But most people don't notice when ECVs ended up waiting 30 to 40+ minutes longer than they did. It's much easier to notice and remember the one that zipped up and got right onboard, with a party of 12 lol.

you do realize that anyone can make it so your ECV can be moved without the key? plus kids/teens can be playing on and break something on it and you will have to pay for the damage to it. not counting if a CM moves it and they know how to make it move without key. it is that easy to do to make it free wheel as my family calls it

The opposite scenario happens too. Back in March '19 we decided not to rent a car. There's 3 of us and DH needs an ECV. Not sure if it's changed but some buses only had room for 1 ECV, others had space for 2. It wasn't unusual to end up needing to wait for the 3rd bus or even 4th bus due to ECVs ahead of us, and people who got in line long after us all got on buses before ours.

ECVs lose the bus game too. Win some, lose some. But most people don't notice when ECVs ended up waiting 30 to 40+ minutes longer than they did. It's much easier to notice and remember the one that zipped up and got right onboard, with a party of 12 lol.

I guess this all depends on what time of day you are out and about. For years I have been avoiding the peak times to get to and from the parks. Most of time, I am the only person on the bus. If I get to the point where I need an ECV, I think that I would just wait in my room, or the parks, instead of at the bus stop. It would not be worth the aggravation to sit there at the bus stop during busy times.

I guess this all depends on what time of day you are out and about. For years I have been avoiding the peak times to get to and from the parks. Most of time, I am the only person on the bus. If I get to the point where I need an ECV, I think that I would just wait in my room, or the parks, instead of at the bus stop. It would not be worth the aggravation to sit there at the bus stop during busy times.

It was worth it to us so we could all watch the fireworks together or ropedrop together to enjoy those first easy park hours. We even let an elderly couple with 2 scooters go in front of us one night so they wouldn't be split up on different buses going back. We weren't particularly aggravated over ECV lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter