ECV Etiquette in Bus Queue?

kytiam

DIS Veteran
I will be using an ECV for the first time the week before November due to a slow-to-heal knee replacement. I will be renting from Scooterbug so I can use it at the resort, too. I am very confused as to how to navigate the queues at bus stops, both at the resort (AoA) and at the parks. Do I get in the line with everyone else and ride the scooter through the regular switchback line (like I do for most of the rides in the parks)? Or do I pull up into the little box with the wheelchair symbol, essentially bypassing the rest of the line. That sounds like it could cause hard feelings on the part of the people patiently waiting in a long line and I sure don't want that! Is the rule different for different bus stops?

I know before you would pull up into the little box with the wheelchair symbol. Sometimes that meant the person using a mobility aid got on a bus before people who had waited in line, but if there were 2 scooters in front of you then you could easily wait longer than anyone currently in line.

However, I had heard some people mention that chairs go through the regular line now, so I'm not sure how they're handling them at the moment. I know chairs/ECVs are no longer loaded first because they load back-to-front, but I think some resorts are still using the box and some aren't. If you're not sure, the CM at the bus stop can direct you.

Generally speaking, you will enter the queue, and run the switchbacks *until* you reach the gate/chain to the marked handicapped spot for bus loading. It's usually right as you make the last turn before the final long stretch of the queue. This type of setup tends to be at the Theme Parks, and Disney Springs.

At most of the (Moderate & Deluxe) Resorts, there is usually a white painted box on the ground, and no formal queues; you just try to get in the box (or if there is someone already in the box, behind/to the side) and give a friendly wave and nod to the driver as they pull up, so that they know you are waiting for their bus.

I'm honestly not sure how the Values are doing things these days, but the theory is the same as both scenarios above, regardless.

You will have times when you roll up to a queue, and a Tranportation CM (Usually equipped with a walkie-talkie and a clipboard LOL) will tell you to wait in a specific place, or may have you bypass the queue around the end, and park directly in the marked handicapped loading spot. As always, direct instructions from a CM overrule all the other normal procedures.

If someone does happen to say something to you (not likely, trust me) about how "lucky" you are to get on the bus first, just ignore them. They always forget that although we do load first (in typical times) that we also get off the bus *last*, long after they have probably made it through security, and are into the Park.

From all our stays at Pop Century, I would say that you line up at the HC icon at the bus stop for the park you are going to - that's the beauty of the Values - they have separate, designated queues for each park.

But you can tell by how the queue is set up, BTW. Is there a chain in the railing with the HC logo on it? Then stay in the queue until you get to it. Or is there a clear, open path straight to the logo on the ground? Go to that without going in the queue.

Based on recent reports (since re-opening)...because of the social distancing and limited bus capacity, the bus queues at values can be long. Therefore mobility devices join the regular queue and will be pulled out as your party gets near the front.

Just wanted to add one other thing. When you're at the resort and a bus approaches, either put your hand up (like you're raising your hand at school) or shake your head, to let the bus driver know whether or not you want that bus. I've seen buses almost pass by the ECV rider, just load up the bus with the mobile, thru the front door, then start to pull away as the ECV rider yelled "Hey! What about me?" Don't worry-I only saw that once out of about 15 bus trips. But I like to make sure the bus driver knows whether or not I'm waiting for THAT bus.

Yikes, I imagine I wouldn’t find it very easy to drive an ECV through one of the regular switchback lines.

Yikes, I imagine I wouldn’t find it very easy to drive an ECV through one of the regular switchback lines.

It's not too hard, as long as you aren't in one of those giant old Parks beasties. Depending on whether it's 3 or 4 wheels, and which tire(s) get power, you can often just crank the tiller hard to the opposite side of the one that gets power, and do a tight u-turn around the end of the switchbacks.

Like so much else, it just takes a bit of practice, and patience. 🙂

I haven't been to WDW in awhile (mostly DL), but aren't there switchback lines you would need to drive through at the parks? I know that was the running joke when we used to go as kids - allllll the switchback winding! - and hadn't noticed a significant change as an adult.

I haven't been to WDW in awhile (mostly DL), but aren't there switchback lines you would need to drive through at the parks? I know that was the running joke when we used to go as kids - allllll the switchback winding! - and hadn't noticed a significant change as an adult.

Yep! You are right! I don't mind them, but I do see folks regularly who get kind of tense about it; they can be a lot of "work" to navigate in certain mobility devices (especially if the line is moving fast). Toy Story Mania (since TSL opened) I think might have the prize now for the most switchbacks in a single queue! LOL

It’s been a couple of years for me, too, but I remember the switchbacks in the bus queues being significantly narrower and tighter than those in the attraction queues.

Mamabunny's responses have been 100% my experience with ECVs in the bus queue. I haven't tried a 4-wheel ECV yet so I don't know the turning radius on those, but I do know the 3-wheel ECVs have been really good with navigating switchbacks in park and waiting for the bus.

I guess the logic of waiting for the resort bus at a park is to go through the line like everyone else until you get to the gate, so that way they're not showing any favoritism towards guests with mobility issues?

My only advice is I turn an ECV like I turn this tractor-trailer: swing wide! :rotfl:

I know for me I don't mind a person on a scooter, being allow on first, or having one other person along with them...

I know that and have witness larger groups, walking up by passing everyone standing in the line, and want to get on with grandma or grandpa or whomever.

Which is what they stopped this. I know the last time we stayed, there was a large group, with one scooter and the CM directed the person to the white outlined box, and asked if they need help, and said one person could go with them... the rest of the group was directed to get into line... which was not received well by the rest of the group... The CM was like sorry, only one other person can go along with the scooter and driver - If you want to be on the same bus you will all need to wait... which started another round of moaning, and fussing with this group... they were still deciding when the bus filled up, and we drove away...

I guess it depends on the bus driver. When we went, my DS, DDIL, DGDs(2), and DH, all waited with me until the bus came. Then, DH got on the bus with me while everyone else got in the regular line. But the bus driver leaned out and waved them over.

I guess it depends on the bus driver. When we went, my DS, DDIL, DGDs(2), and DH, all waited with me until the bus came. Then, DH got on the bus with me while everyone else got in the regular line. But the bus driver leaned out and waved them over.

I have seen things both ways and wish that they were consistent. I can see during slow times, when the bus is not going to be full, to have the whole group get on together. But at peak times, to have a big group show up last minute while others have been waiting can be annoying. They have tried spreading out the ECVs with having them all go through the line until the area to pull off. But I rarely(before shutdown) saw groups actually do this and just pull up to the curb instead of going through the line like they are supposed to. Maybe have a clear cut rule posted at the bus stops telling everyone to go through the queue. I think that would help with the situation if Disney just took a stand and made the rule instead of leaving it up to the drivers.

I know for me I don't mind a person on a scooter, being allow on first, or having one other person along with them...

I know that and have witness larger groups, walking up by passing everyone standing in the line, and want to get on with grandma or grandpa or whomever.

Which is what they stopped this. I know the last time we stayed, there was a large group, with one scooter and the CM directed the person to the white outlined box, and asked if they need help, and said one person could go with them... the rest of the group was directed to get into line... which was not received well by the rest of the group... The CM was like sorry, only one other person can go along with the scooter and driver - If you want to be on the same bus you will all need to wait... which started another round of moaning, and fussing with this group... they were still deciding when the bus filled up, and we drove away...
what would you have our group do we were a party of 3 with 2 adults and a 4 year old. you are only letting one other person on with ECV so who is staying with the 4 year? I guess you would help us. should say 4 year old is special needs and does not do well with strangers? and granted this was a ew years ago but actually have someone not a CM think we should have made child board by himself.

what would you have our group do we were a party of 3 with 2 adults and a 4 year old. you are only letting one other person on with ECV so who is staying with the 4 year? I guess you would help us. should say 4 year old is special needs and does not do well with strangers? and granted this was a ew years ago but actually have someone not a CM think we should have made child board by himself.

Obviously small children would not be included in this scenario. I think people are talking about other adults. A small family unit is not an issue. I also think that you know this since it is common sense. The problem is when you have grandma in an ECV with her numerous kids and grandkids making up a group of 6+ people. Most of those groups are just fine to split up. It is completely reasonable to not expect to be able to just walk up and get your whole group on the bus last minute when there have been people waiting in line ahead of you.

Obviously small children would not be included in this scenario. I think people are talking about other adults. A small family unit is not an issue. I also think that you know this since it is common sense. The problem is when you have grandma in an ECV with her numerous kids and grandkids making up a group of 6+ people. Most of those groups are just fine to split up. It is completely reasonable to not expect to be able to just walk up and get your whole group on the bus last minute when there have been people waiting in line ahead of you.
as I say this actually happened to me at Disney when someone yelled if she needs the adult then the child has to wait in line. and he easily seen as special needs also. some people are that serious about only 2

Of course kids, and children, and babies don't figure into what I said in my post... That's just silly... to even think that something like this would apply to kids... come on now... I think you know what I was talking about... Large Families or Groups, is what I said in my post.... trying to get out of standing in line and waiting their turn to get on a bus. Because one person in their party has a scooter... That's why they started having everyone go through the switchbacks to stop this type of scenario from happening...

Make no mistake DH and I both would stop to help you and your family out... :hug:

Just so you know we have given up our seats, many many times to let groups stay together, or let them ahead in line... I been on buses, have held other people kids on my lap that I did not even know to help out a parents in a jam... DH and I held a set of twins babies, standing up on a Disney bus one time at the end of the day heading back to the resort, both sound asleep... the bus was packed, and the young couple had 4 little ones... and 2 double strollers. We got off at their stop, It was quite a production, 4 little ones all asleep, 4 adults, and 2 folded up double strollers, two ladies got off and offered to help, they did not know us or them, but they wanted to help... and took the babies from the guys, and DH and the Dad of the kids opened the strollers up, and we all got them into the strollers... The mom looked at me and said you remind me so much of my mom, she just jumps right in to help to.. and asked if she could hug us, and of course we all gladly hugged her ... there we were 6 strangers, hugging each other, Disney magic, pixie dust yes I'm sure ... I think mostly just people helping out other people... We are all in the world together, and we need to help each other...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter