ECV- Disney Bus vs Minivan

MommaVail

Earning My Ears
We are planning an ECV rental for my mom. She has scoliosis and had a surgery to implant the odd the entire length of her back which actually mad her pain and stamina worse :-/ .

I used an ECV once before after a minor back surgery myself and we used bus transportation because we had a small car and no way to transport it.

We will be hopefully taking a minivan in March, with room for an ECV...but would need one lightweight enough or that broke down easily to fit in minivan.

What would be be better option? A heavy duty ECV (so my husband - 300ish lbs - could take a turn if necessary as he has back pain occasionally and my mom will want to walk some) that we would need to use the busses for or an ECV that would maybe just cover his weight but could be transported in the minivan?? Thoughts?

Other options? We will be staying at AoA.

I am not sure the minivan goes to AOA but I think there is away around it. For me the few times I was with my friend with an ECV it was much more easer for me to take her ECV on the bus then for her to break it down and put it in her ECV.

I am not sure the minivan goes to AOA but I think there is away around it.

I think the OP is asking about a rental car, minivan, not the Minnie Van service (which can go to AoA). :)

OP - I would get the ECV in a size that's needed. Talk to the rental agencies about ones for his size that can be easily transported. I'd be afraid that with a smaller ECV, his larger weight would take more battery power.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have a fairly lightweight ECV that breaks down, and we have a Honda Odyssey with just two people traveling.

It’s much easier to use the bus than to drive our van. I was someone in the past that always drove to the parks. With the ECV the bus works better.

We are getting a new van with a lift soon, but I think we will still bus it to the parks.

We rent an ECV and rent a mini-van from National. We are getting better with removing the heavy batteries
and lifting the ECV onto the back of the mini-van. We take the bus to MK but drive to the other parks
and Disney Springs.. we are also taking the rented ecv on the Disney cruise.

We rent an ECV and rent a mini-van from National. We are getting better with removing the heavy batteries
and lifting the ECV onto the back of the mini-van. We take the bus to MK but drive to the other parks
and Disney Springs.. we are also taking the rented ecv on the Disney cruise.

Bus to MK to avoid the monorail or ferry?

Bus to MK to avoid the monorail or ferry?
Yes.
Its a long walk from the accessible parking at MK up and down hills to get to
the ferry and/or monorail. DH is ok but its tough on me who is walking.

Last edited:

I would go with a better, stronger scooter. Pride's Victory 10 is one example. A few vendors use this one. The light weight scooters are mostly rated for 250 pounds or less. Also, keep in mind whatever you put in the basket counts towards weight, too.

The heavy duty scooters come with a better battery. Some have two batteries. Anyway, they will last longer in the parks. Also, a heavier person will use up more battery power. It's very weight related with the battery charge usage.

I would use the bus! But I'd let someone besides mother take the scooter on and off the bus. It's rather difficult getting a scooter on and off. The bus drivers will help to a degree, but it's seldom they will do it completely for you. I've personally never had a bus driver do it for me completely. I will say it's a little bit harder the bigger the scooter to do the buses.

We have done the car trunk with a scooter but I have to say there's a lot of hanky panky doing it. A SUV or van is easier, but keep in mind one broken down piece can weigh 35 pounds. Also, the base of the scooter is very awkward to handle, in my opinion.

There are two spots usually for a wheelchair or scooter. It is definitely easier to be the first one on the bus.

Also, for some reason I found it easier to get a scooter off the bus rather than on. You do get better at it each time.

The bus drivers are very polite and helpful to ECV and wheelchair people. They will get you on their bus!
They will give you any help you need it is easier to take the bus than to lift a 200 pound scooter!

If you rent a minivan with a mechanical lift, you can transport a scooter for a 300 pound person easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!