eBay related: WWYD?

Here is the page about return shipping for eBay returns: (underlining mine.)

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/start-return/return-postage?id=4066

Who pays for return shipping?
The seller pays for return shipping if the item was damaged, faulty, or doesn't match the listing description, or if they offer a free returns policy.

You pay for return shipping if you're returning the item because you changed your mind, and the seller's return policy states that buyers are responsible for return shipping.

Also a great eBay page (for everyone) to bookmark is the one on Feedback Extortion. Originally my Seller was going to give a partial refund, as I thought too, that I'd have to send the item back. The item wasn't as described. (He said to keep the item & we'll do a partial refund.) I figured that I wanted 75% of the money back. He tried to lowball me with 50% refund in exchange for good feedback. I knew about the rule against Feedback Extortion. :mad: That's when I looked it up along with the return policy and realized that I had a right to a FULL refund all along and didn't have to even send the item back unless he paid for it. :thumbsup2 (I suspected he knew all along. :badpc: ) I copied & pasted it to him AND filed for a return right away. I was OVER that "negotiation." I got my refund in a matter of hours.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-extortion-policy?id=4230

Make sure you click on the bottom for: "Read our full policy."

I’ll try on my local Craigslist and FB groups and then maybe eBay if that doesn’t on out. I’m still nervous about the seller trying to retaliate against me.

I'd also be nervous about retaliation. You could also wait several months, till this blows over and the Seller probably isn't looking at listing for it anymore. . . Although, :scratchin if he puts an automatic eBay search notification on it, for whenever there is an auction for that item, your auction would pop.

Maybe better to Craigslist it off & meet in a public place to do the exchange.

I’m not sure why they gave it to me. The seller has been on eBay for 12 years, has over 4,600 reviews and 100% feedback. I don’t think anything is fishy other than maybe they knew they sent a display that was scratched and had hoped to get away with it. I don’t think they are a chop shop.
Did you remove your negative review when he bought it off for $400? Reviews mean nothing on Ebay since so many sellers "buy off" their negative reviews.

Last edited:
If you're worried about retaliation, then either throw it out or take it to a Salvation Army. You could also offer it up for free on Craig's List, Facebook Marketplace, or set it out on garbage day or during garage sale season with a "Free" sign. Someone will take it off your hands. You got your money back and are not out anything. Don't rock the boat.

Did you remove your negative review when he bought it off for $400? Reviews mean nothing on Ebay since so many sellers "buy off" their negative reviews.
What makes you think I left a negative review? I didn’t leave any feedback at all. I didn’t mention FB in any of my communications either. I guess I should be flattered that you think my opinion on eBay is worth $400!

My DD accidentally broke the infotainment display in my car. A new one was super expensive so I found one on eBay. The seller had great feedback, I examined the photos and read the auction very carefully. I shelled out $400 for a used display and it was shipped to me immediately. Unfortunately when it came it had scratches all over it. There were no scratches in the photos and no scratches mentioned in the auction. I was unhappy with the scratches and found another one at a ‘junkyard’ near me that was in much better condition but $580. I installed that display yesterday.

The display came with a 30 day return policy. I contacted the eBay seller yesterday in a friendly email to ask him how he wanted to process the return. I know that as a seller I would not want a ‘not as described’ on my record. I sent him photos of the display and he accused me of trying to scam him. He claimed that was not the display he sent me but it was! I sent him more photos of my original display, the back of his display with his tag and my invoice of the display I installled. Why would I scam him if I paid $180 more for a different display? All I wanted to do is return the display.

I got crickets.

I waited 24 hours after my initial contact and filed a ‘not as described’ return via eBay today and the seller suddenly returned my purchase price and told me to keep the display.

Now I’m not sure what to do about the display he told me to keep! It’s valuable. There should be someone who would want it, scratches and all. My DH for instance was not annoyed by the scratches. I don’t want to throw it out but I don’t want to sell it on eBay either.

WWYD?

I sell on ebay.. I always make sure what they see is what they get.
If you are unhappy with the purchase you can go through eBay's buyer protection plan and seek their help. if you paid through a credit card i'd stop payment.
I also put a negative review on the seller's ebay. that way it helps other buyers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!