eBay related: WWYD?

robinb

DIS veteran
My DD accidentally broke the infotainment display in my car. A new one was super expensive so I found one on eBay. The seller had great feedback, I examined the photos and read the auction very carefully. I shelled out $400 for a used display and it was shipped to me immediately. Unfortunately when it came it had scratches all over it. There were no scratches in the photos and no scratches mentioned in the auction. I was unhappy with the scratches and found another one at a ‘junkyard’ near me that was in much better condition but $580. I installed that display yesterday.

The display came with a 30 day return policy. I contacted the eBay seller yesterday in a friendly email to ask him how he wanted to process the return. I know that as a seller I would not want a ‘not as described’ on my record. I sent him photos of the display and he accused me of trying to scam him. He claimed that was not the display he sent me but it was! I sent him more photos of my original display, the back of his display with his tag and my invoice of the display I installled. Why would I scam him if I paid $180 more for a different display? All I wanted to do is return the display.

I got crickets.

I waited 24 hours after my initial contact and filed a ‘not as described’ return via eBay today and the seller suddenly returned my purchase price and told me to keep the display.

Now I’m not sure what to do about the display he told me to keep! It’s valuable. There should be someone who would want it, scratches and all. My DH for instance was not annoyed by the scratches. I don’t want to throw it out but I don’t want to sell it on eBay either.

WWYD?

put it on Facebook marketplace and re-sell it?

or, pack it up and send if back to the seller, whether he wants it or not.

Either way, he told you to keep it, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

Last edited:
put it on Facebook marketplace and re-sell it?

or, pack it up and send if back to the seller, whether he wants it or not.

Either way, he told you to keep it, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.
I don’t mind returning it to him, I just don’t want to pay shipping.

If you don't want to pay for shipping I would just do a local 'you come pick up' type deal or meet halfway/somewhere close if the gas cost is low on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Nextdoor (or something similar), etc.

I doubt I would try to go back to the guy for him to pay shipping costs (and I'm not saying you would ask that of the guy just mentioning it) since he relinquished ownership of it completely by tell you to keep it rather than saying he wanted it back.

I'd probably go on my local FB yard sale page and sell it at a much reduced price and make it clear that it has scratches on it.
Maybe just to make up the difference between the price of that one and the price of the one you bought at the junk yard.

I don’t mind returning it to him, I just don’t want to pay shipping.

Even if the seller had agreed to do a return, it would still be on you to pay the shipping.

Sell it locally if shipping is too much of a hassle for you .

I'd still sell it on eBay. Widest audience. If that guy is miffed about it -- it's his issue, not yours, he told you to keep it. And in the sea of items on eBay he probably won't even notice. Just take your own, new photos and disclose the scratches.

I'd sell it locally or see if the Junkyard might buy it.

Either way, the guy sounds kind of shady at best, so I wouldn't worry about him getting his crap back.

It isn't worth the excess shipping to get it back to him, and he refunded your money. That tells me something isn't quite right, like he knew it was a crappy display.

My DD accidentally broke the infotainment display in my car. A new one was super expensive so I found one on eBay. The seller had great feedback, I examined the photos and read the auction very carefully. I shelled out $400 for a used display and it was shipped to me immediately. Unfortunately when it came it had scratches all over it. There were no scratches in the photos and no scratches mentioned in the auction. I was unhappy with the scratches and found another one at a ‘junkyard’ near me that was in much better condition but $580. I installed that display yesterday.

The display came with a 30 day return policy. I contacted the eBay seller yesterday in a friendly email to ask him how he wanted to process the return. I know that as a seller I would not want a ‘not as described’ on my record. I sent him photos of the display and he accused me of trying to scam him. He claimed that was not the display he sent me but it was! I sent him more photos of my original display, the back of his display with his tag and my invoice of the display I installled. Why would I scam him if I paid $180 more for a different display? All I wanted to do is return the display.

I got crickets.

I waited 24 hours after my initial contact and filed a ‘not as described’ return via eBay today and the seller suddenly returned my purchase price and told me to keep the display.

Now I’m not sure what to do about the display he told me to keep! It’s valuable. There should be someone who would want it, scratches and all. My DH for instance was not annoyed by the scratches. I don’t want to throw it out but I don’t want to sell it on eBay either.

WWYD?
I would be sending it back to the seller even with shipping costs.

What person refunds $400 and says keep the item? That would make me very suspicious. I can see the seller saying "keep it" with items that are worth less than shipping, but not an expensive $400 item. I would not want to take the chance that I would receiving and reselling stolen items or something else shady.

Even if the seller had agreed to do a return, it would still be on you to pay the shipping.

That's no longer true. I think eBay changed the rule on that. If the Seller misrepresented the item, they it is up to the Seller to pay for the shipping to get it back. I had something similar happen a couple months ago where the Seller tried to make ME eat the money for the auction. I have been buying on eBay long enough to know they usually side with the Seller. So I looked for the rules to send to the Seller, that I know what my rights are.

I was surprised to see it in the eBay terms that the Seller now pays if he wants it back. The Buyer is no longer penalized for the Seller's "mistake," unintentional or deliberate. Just like Robin's Seller, my Seller no longer wanted the item back either when I posted all the eBay terms and he'd have to pay. And he coughed up the refund right away, as HE probably knew eBay would eventually side with me AND he'd get a negative feedback for making me go through arbitration. AND I did it the right way, only sending messages via eBay, so they could have researched to see this guy was scamming me.

I'll look for the eBay terms later. I think I still have the message I sent him in my eBay messages folder.

Thank you. I think I will try the junk yard today. My car is very new (2018 was the first model year) so there won't be a lot of people looking for displays nearby. I'm afraid to put it on eBay since I am afraid the seller might shill bid to try to screw me over.

I would be sending it back to the seller even with shipping costs.

What person refunds $400 and says keep the item? That would make me very suspicious. I can see the seller saying "keep it" with items that are worth less than shipping, but not an expensive $400 item. I would not want to take the chance that I would receiving and reselling stolen items or something else shady.

I don’t think the part is stolen. I think he still believes I was scamming him and doesn’t want someone else’s part back. I *think* they may have used a shop towel or paper towel to clean the display and those displays are very sensitive to scratching. At least that’s what I discovered after I did some research after receiving the display from him. I wanted to see if it was normal since my display was not scratched ... but we always used a microfiber towel to clean it. I couldn’t see the scratches in the photos because they were not clear enough when zoomed in.

With the summer coming, the junkyard will be happy to have another display on its shelves. My DH touched the screen in his car to set navigation on a very hot day and the display shattered. His car was too new for the junkyard to have one. They searched other junkyards and finally found one and had it shipped.

That's no longer true. I think eBay changed the rule on that. If the Seller misrepresented the item, they it is up to the Seller to pay for the shipping to get it back. I had something similar happen a couple months ago where the Seller tried to make ME eat the money for the auction. I have been buying on eBay long enough to know they usually side with the Seller. So I looked for the rules to send to the Seller, that I know what my rights are.

I was surprised to see it in the eBay terms that the Seller now pays if he wants it back. The Buyer is no longer penalized for the Seller's "mistake," unintentional or deliberate. Just like Robin's Seller, my Seller no longer wanted the item back either when I posted all the eBay terms and he'd have to pay. And he coughed up the refund right away, as HE probably knew eBay would eventually side with me AND he'd get a negative feedback for making me go through arbitration. AND I did it the right way, only sending messages via eBay, so they could have researched to see this guy was scamming me.

I'll look for the eBay terms later. I think I still have the message I sent him in my eBay messages folder.

I must've missed that update. I haven't had any issues as a buyer or a seller in a couple years.

Thank you. I think I will try the junk yard today. My car is very new (2018 was the first model year) so there won't be a lot of people looking for displays nearby. I'm afraid to put it on eBay since I am afraid the seller might shill bid to try to screw me over.

I don’t think the part is stolen. I think he still believes I was scamming him and doesn’t want someone else’s part back. I *think* they may have used a shop towel or paper towel to clean the display and those displays are very sensitive to scratching. At least that’s what I discovered after I did some research after receiving the display from him. I wanted to see if it was normal since my display was not scratched ... but we always used a microfiber towel to clean it. I couldn’t see the scratches in the photos because they were not clear enough when zoomed in.
That doesn"t make a lot of sense. So he just "gave" you a $400 item without even trying to negotiate adiscount for the scratches. People on Ebay want to make money, not give $400 away. If you can easily sell it to a junkyard for a smaller profit, why wouldn't the seller want to do it? I still think something is fishy and would be shipping it back to the seller asap.either there is more to this story or the item is defective and the seller knew it. Have you made sure it works?

Last edited:
Welp ... the junk yard says that they don’t buy loose parts. They only buy cars and then part them out so that they file the vin number with the date so they can prove where the car parts came from.

I’ll try on my local Craigslist and FB groups and then maybe eBay if that doesn’t on out. I’m still nervous about the seller trying to retaliate against me.

So he just "gave" you a $400 item without even trying to negotiatea discount for the scratches. People on Ebay want to make money, not give $400 away. I still think something is fishy and would be shipping it back to the seller asap.
I’m not sure why they gave it to me. The seller has been on eBay for 12 years, has over 4,600 reviews and 100% feedback. I don’t think anything is fishy other than maybe they knew they sent a display that was scratched and had hoped to get away with it. I don’t think they are a chop shop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter