Eating Alone at 'Ohana

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
Has anyone ever eaten there alone? I really like it there but don't think I would feel comfortable being by myself.

I've eaten there many times by myself. I enjoy it! I just relax and take in the atmosphere. Nobody paid any attention to the fact that I was solo--I felt comfortable being alone. I'd say give it a try!

I don't see why eating alone there would be bad...I just wonder how you'd even get through the appetizer platter by yourself ;)

Benjo said:
I don't see why eating alone there would be bad...I just wonder how you'd even get through the appetizer platter by yourself ;)

So true! I enjoy 'Ohana immensely, but have to laugh at that! Yes, the appetizers are still dished up family-style even for solos, so there's a LOT of food on that table for one person. When I went last year I tried to pace myself, lol, but barely managed a few pieces of steak and turkey (alas! I think it had something to do with eating *all* the green beans and *all* the salad beforehand :rolleyes1: ). My server fussed over me a little, asking if I was sure I couldn't eat more - after all, so many people stuff themselves silly trying to get their money's worth. I didn't even want the pineapple, but she insisted - and then I polished that off as well! :blush:

I missed DS and DD during the coconut races, but enjoyed watching the other kids having fun. It happened that I was seated right at a corner of the "racetrack," so there was the added bonus of hanging on to my table as children dove under it after their coconuts. I didn't mind at all, but if that would be unnerving or annoying, I'd recommend asking to be seated in the quieter back room.

I'll be back at 'Ohana solo in 26 days. Can't wait!!!

I like to think of it as a week's worth of microwave dinners at a condo. And no fightihg over the peanut sauce... :rotfl:

I also have to say it was funny when they brought that huge serving to the table. I got there when they were just serving dinner in December. They sat me near the window since there was practically no one in the restaurant. I loved it because I got to enjoy the lagoon and the island setting in the restaurant. I recommend this place for singles. Get yourself a drink with an umbrella in it and enjoy!
:disrocks:

Glad to see this thread. I've wanted to try this place, but thought solo might be uncomfortable. I just may try it on my next trip.

Deb

I ate at Ohana alone in January I had like a 5:30pm PS it was great. Cousin someone or another said I had the best seat in the house and it was a table set for three with a perfect view of the castle (funny thing being I sat there with my mother and sister in October!). Cousin Cliff was one of my servers and he was fabulous and Tauto (my other server) was trying to teach me Hawiian. I would really reccomend it for a solo...when I was eating alone I expected people to stare/talk, but to the best of my knowledge that did not happen anywhere I dined. At Ohana it is always fun to watch the kid's race around and get thier gummy worms at the end. Give it a shot I'm sure you will like it.

I've eaten at Ohanas three times now by myself and I have been made to feel more than comfortable every time! While I would not hesitate to go back there again solo, I'd love to dine with another so that I would not feel like I am wasting so much food! I absolutely LOVE all the food on the appetizer tray, but then again I know I'm gonna love the steak, turkey, pork and shrimp, too! Plus, there's always the caramel-dipped pineapple! So much food!

And don't get me started on the Lapu Lapu!! :banana:

I've been on the fence regarding this one as a solo dining place, but after seeing photos of the food, it is definintely on my list. I'm an avid reader, so I bring a book with me everywhere, especially at WDW. This helps with the awkwardness of dining solo, as well as waiting for a parade or show to start.

Do they still have tables behind the bar area that face out to the lagoon & the Magic Kingdom? Also, what time does dinner start there?

When I was there last summer, dinner started at 5:00. I have a 5:10 PS for my upcoming trip (ahhh... in less than 2 weeks!!!).

If you are dining alone do they let you take any of the food they bring out home?I can't eat that much at one time and I was wondering if they would let you take any leftovers to go.
Thanks!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter