Eat To Live

KY*Figment

DIS Veteran
Hi! I have began Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live. I am on Week 1 Day 2 and I'm looking for some "Magical" Support. I am 102 pounds over my ideal weight, 137 over Dr. Fuhrman's ideal weight, and my docs have not weighed in. I am 38 and I have two dd's ages 10 & almost 8 and I have been happily married to my dh for almost 12 years., DH has been to WDW 12 times, me 11 times, & girls 10 times. We live in KY less than two miles from the Ohio River so humidity is the worst. Our girls are not overweight not just by my opinion but pediatrician says it, too. My 10 year old and I want to begin C25K but I know I need to survive one week of Eat To Live. While shopping for Eat To Live food I kept thinking healthy food is expensive. So, any tips for Eat To Live such as easy recipes, inexpensive shopping, exercise, and so on?? Thanks!

First of all.... HUGE congratulations on making the decision to start a healthier life. It will pay off in so many ways!

Second.... I'm not particularly familiar with the "Eat to Live" idea... but will probably google it later, out of curiosity.

Third.... healthy food does appear expensive up front... but if you start looking around and doing some comparison shopping, you will find that it is much LESS expensive than many other junk foods and convenience foods. For example.... you can buy a good fresh healthy potato for probably .99/lb.... but potato chips? I haven't looked at the unit price in a long time, but I'm willing to bet you are paying somewhere in the vicinity of $6/lb for those chips! And getting a much less nutritional item to boot!

Start slow with things like organics if the grocery budget is tight. Google "The Dirty Dozen" list and start by just buying those items in organic.

Do you own prep work for fruits and veggies instead of buying them already peeled and cut. You will save money and it really won't take that much time!

If you would like to join a WISH group, come on over to the Biggest Loser Sizzling Summer challenge and introduce yourself. We'd be happy to meet you and help you out in any ways we can!

What you want to do may seem like a mountain to climb right now, but take my word for it.... IT CAN BE DONE! YOU CAN DO IT. If you are finding the "Eat to Live" plan not agreeing with you, find another plan. You need to find SOMETHING that you can LIVE with FOREVER! This needs to be a FOREVER change. I lost 90 pounds a few years ago and can't believe how great it feels to live life in a "cute" size body!

Best of luck on your journey....................P

I've read the book. It isn't something I can follow because all of my fruits and veggies must be cooked due to an allergy. If I could have followed it, I would have. But, you need to have a plan beyond the six weeks. Overall, the best thing is to come up with a plan to change to a healthier lifestyle that you can maintain for the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.

Plan your meals. Check out farmers markets. Buy organic when you can, but if it isn't in the budget, that's okay.

I've lost 38 pounds since Jan 15 by counting calories, eating healthier foods, and exercising. I started off slow with the exercise, just walking on the treadmill, using the stationary bike and using 3 pound free weights three days a week. Now I'm also running and doing all kinds of workout DVDs including Insanity and I use 5 pound and 10 pound free weights now. I workout 5-6 times a week.

Kudos to you for wanting to make a change! You won't regret it!

Hi there! Good luck as you start your ETL journey. I eat a plant-based, vegan, whole-foods diet inspired by Dr. Fuhrman's work. My diet is slightly closer to Engine 2 than ETL, but I started out very much Eat To Live style before adapting.

I've lost 57 pounds since January 6th, entirely on changing my eating habits. I actually eat nearly twice as many calories as I used to, but lose weight consistently by avoiding added oils, animal products, and as much white sugar/white flour as possible.

First of all.... HUGE congratulations on making the decision to start a healthier life. It will pay off in so many ways!

Second.... I'm not particularly familiar with the "Eat to Live" idea... but will probably google it later, out of curiosity.

Third.... healthy food does appear expensive up front... but if you start looking around and doing some comparison shopping, you will find that it is much LESS expensive than many other junk foods and convenience foods. For example.... you can buy a good fresh healthy potato for probably .99/lb.... but potato chips? I haven't looked at the unit price in a long time, but I'm willing to bet you are paying somewhere in the vicinity of $6/lb for those chips! And getting a much less nutritional item to boot!

Start slow with things like organics if the grocery budget is tight. Google "The Dirty Dozen" list and start by just buying those items in organic.

Do you own prep work for fruits and veggies instead of buying them already peeled and cut. You will save money and it really won't take that much time!

If you would like to join a WISH group, come on over to the Biggest Loser Sizzling Summer challenge and introduce yourself. We'd be happy to meet you and help you out in any ways we can!

What you want to do may seem like a mountain to climb right now, but take my word for it.... IT CAN BE DONE! YOU CAN DO IT. If you are finding the "Eat to Live" plan not agreeing with you, find another plan. You need to find SOMETHING that you can LIVE with FOREVER! This needs to be a FOREVER change. I lost 90 pounds a few years ago and can't believe how great it feels to live life in a "cute" size body!

Best of luck on your journey....................P

Thanks for the encouragement! I do check out the Biggest Loser but do not chat on it. It is interesting to read.

I've read the book. It isn't something I can follow because all of my fruits and veggies must be cooked due to an allergy. If I could have followed it, I would have. But, you need to have a plan beyond the six weeks. Overall, the best thing is to come up with a plan to change to a healthier lifestyle that you can maintain for the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.

Plan your meals. Check out farmers markets. Buy organic when you can, but if it isn't in the budget, that's okay.

I've lost 38 pounds since Jan 15 by counting calories, eating healthier foods, and exercising. I started off slow with the exercise, just walking on the treadmill, using the stationary bike and using 3 pound free weights three days a week. Now I'm also running and doing all kinds of workout DVDs including Insanity and I use 5 pound and 10 pound free weights now. I workout 5-6 times a week.

Kudos to you for wanting to make a change! You won't regret it!

Unfortunately, planning meals makes me a short order cook. The kids are polar opposite of my diet & dh is in the middle. I make the kids try everything but it's a struggle! Thanks for the encouragement!

Hi there! Good luck as you start your ETL journey. I eat a plant-based, vegan, whole-foods diet inspired by Dr. Fuhrman's work. My diet is slightly closer to Engine 2 than ETL, but I started out very much Eat To Live style before adapting.

I've lost 57 pounds since January 6th, entirely on changing my eating habits. I actually eat nearly twice as many calories as I used to, but lose weight consistently by avoiding added oils, animal products, and as much white sugar/white flour as possible.

I'm going to have to check out Engine 2. The China Study began our family to cut back on dairy & meat about 2 years ago but hadn't gone cold turkey until now. The kids still have some meat and dh is a once or twice a week. I miss cheese pizza. Now, I'm looking up Engine 2! :banana:

Unfortunately, planning meals makes me a short order cook. The kids are polar opposite of my diet & dh is in the middle. I make the kids try everything but it's a struggle! Thanks for the encouragement!

Here, they eat what I put on their plate or they don't eat. I usually put one thing on their plate that I know they'll like so they will have something to eat.

:)

Good luck on your journey!

Hi! I have began Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live. I am on Week 1 Day 2 and I'm looking for some "Magical" Support. I am 102 pounds over my ideal weight, 137 over Dr. Fuhrman's ideal weight, and my docs have not weighed in. I am 38 and I have two dd's ages 10 & almost 8 and I have been happily married to my dh for almost 12 years., DH has been to WDW 12 times, me 11 times, & girls 10 times. We live in KY less than two miles from the Ohio River so humidity is the worst. Our girls are not overweight not just by my opinion but pediatrician says it, too. My 10 year old and I want to begin C25K but I know I need to survive one week of Eat To Live. While shopping for Eat To Live food I kept thinking healthy food is expensive. So, any tips for Eat To Live such as easy recipes, inexpensive shopping, exercise, and so on?? Thanks!

Hello fellow KY'er. I am at the "top of the cut in the hill" so we are neighbors! I am in the same boat but a bit older, and my kiddies are in college, DD size 0 and DS 28 pants. So both very thin. I have Crohn's so have a had time dieting since I have to eat white breads, low fiber, no uncooked fruits/vegis and if I have them cooked they have to be almost mush. In our area I have found it pretty easy to grow fresh vegi's (but I do cook mine) in 5 gallon buckets and I also go to GFS a lot to get super large size bags of frozen veggi's and fruit for less than a single serving size at a super market. Hang in there, we both will succeed! :cool2:

Hello fellow KY'er. I am at the "top of the cut in the hill" so we are neighbors! I am in the same boat but a bit older, and my kiddies are in college, DD size 0 and DS 28 pants. So both very thin. I have Crohn's so have a had time dieting since I have to eat white breads, low fiber, no uncooked fruits/vegis and if I have them cooked they have to be almost mush. In our area I have found it pretty easy to grow fresh vegi's (but I do cook mine) in 5 gallon buckets and I also go to GFS a lot to get super large size bags of frozen veggi's and fruit for less than a single serving size at a super market. Hang in there, we both will succeed! :cool2:

We live in Owensboro. Nice to meet a fellow KY person!

My dad use to grow a garden but his schedule is busy w/ work & his ferrier business so he felt he was getting beyond doing all of it. He lives the next county over and has plenty of space. We live in town w/ little space. Today, I went to WalMart, Kroger, & a local orchard. The final tab was high but we were out of a lot. I like me vegetables cooked almost to mush especially green beans. Now I am eating them firm. I like raw vegetables.
Crohns sounds tough. I wish you lots of luck. My goal is to add more exercise tomorrow. :yay:

I lost 9 pounds in 7 days and it was easy. I'm sure it was a lot of water weight but I'm okay w/ that! This is the first time I feel like I can lose weight.

Hi KY-Figment, sounds like you and I are in the same boat, I bought the Eat to Live book and have been reading it . I am about 90 pounds overweight and really need to get myself together. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started taking medicine for it, and my energy level has increased since then. I am about halfway through the book and am anxious to start. I plan on starting Wednesday. I already exercise a little, but could do more. I lost my job last year and I am starting nursing school in the fall and I really want to lose some weight before school starts. I would love for this thread to continue and we and others can report our progress with the Eat to Live program.

Hi KY-Figment, sounds like you and I are in the same boat, I bought the Eat to Live book and have been reading it . I am about 90 pounds overweight and really need to get myself together. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started taking medicine for it, and my energy level has increased since then. I am about halfway through the book and am anxious to start. I plan on starting Wednesday. I already exercise a little, but could do more. I lost my job last year and I am starting nursing school in the fall and I really want to lose some weight before school starts. I would love for this thread to continue and we and others can report our progress with the Eat to Live program.

I have a heart defect along w/ hypertension. My mom and her sisters have hypothyroidism along w/ a bunch of other health problems. My dad had a hemmorage type stroke at age 42 and I'm 38 so I have the fear of having one. My grandfather died if 52 w/ the same thing. According to the Eat To Live Dr. Fuhrman says this type of stroke only makes up 8% of all strokes. My health most of my life has mimicked my dad and grandfather. Eat To Live so far has been pretty easy except I am not a fan of lettuce. I have lost 13 pounds in 14 days. I'm sure I put on a couple back on today because I over celebrated my youngest dd birthday a few days early a little too well in the food department. So back to the drawing board. I did alter the diet. I'm eating the vegetables but it's very little lettuce. I'm working my way up to eating more of it. I eat pretty much anything else he says. Pull up Dr. Oz Approved 7 Day Crash Diet w/ Dr. Fuhrman. It peaked my interest then I saw him on KET. I then bought the book via Kindle. I haven't exercised. I need to focus on it.

I'm so excited to have someone to ETL chat w/. :woohoo:

Finished up the book today and googled the 7 day eat to live Dr. Oz diet. I think I will follow this for the first week. Tomorrow I am going to the supermarket for some fresh veggies. Also on Tuesdays I pick up fresh veggies from a local farm, I joined their CSA (veggie co-op) this year. So I should have plenty to work the menu around. My hubby has surgery on his foot next week, so he will be home and I will leave my DD with hubby so I can walk and go back to the gym. So I think I will be ready to start on Wednesday !!

Finished up the book today and googled the 7 day eat to live Dr. Oz diet. I think I will follow this for the first week. Tomorrow I am going to the supermarket for some fresh veggies. Also on Tuesdays I pick up fresh veggies from a local farm, I joined their CSA (veggie co-op) this year. So I should have plenty to work the menu around. My hubby has surgery on his foot next week, so he will be home and I will leave my DD with hubby so I can walk and go back to the gym. So I think I will be ready to start on Wednesday !!

I tried dragging my kids to walk w/ me. I was given negative attitude.

Ok, started eat to live program today. Made a smoothie out of spinach, orange and blueberries for breakfast, it was really good. I will have a big salad with chickpeas for lunch and I am going to make the Lentil Soup from the book for dinner. I just have to remember to stay on the program and not to cheat. We are taking a family vacation to Orange Beach, Alabama in August so that is good incentive for me. FOLLOW THE PROGRAM !!!

Ok, started eat to live program today. Made a smoothie out of spinach, orange and blueberries for breakfast, it was really good. I will have a big salad with chickpeas for lunch and I am going to make the Lentil Soup from the book for dinner. I just have to remember to stay on the program and not to cheat. We are taking a family vacation to Orange Beach, Alabama in August so that is good incentive for me. FOLLOW THE PROGRAM !!!

I have been making taco soup and freezing some for quick meals.

2 cans dice tomatoes
2 cans pinto beans rinsed
2 cans vegetable broth
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can Rotels
1 can corn rinsed
1 package taco seasoning

Simmer for 1 hour then add a packet of dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix.

It's not the purest but it is better than an actual taco! :)

Oooh, that taco soup sounds great. So day one was yesterday, wasn't as bad as I thought, today is a little harder. Feel like I don't have much energy. But I did weigh my self this morning and it was down a little, so I will stick it out! But I don't want to weigh myself everyday. I need to put some exercise in here somewhere but I think I will wait a little until I get used to this new style of eating.

I felt the worst on the 3rd day. I took in more fruit for a few days afterwards and that took the edge off.

That's a good idea about the fruit, today is day three and I feel very hungry, I know I am not eating enough but I need to work on some of the recipes more, instead of just eating plain raw veggies and salad, fruit and I put a tupperware of chick peas in the refrig to snack on. I don't feel weak, just very hungry, stomach is growling. Right now my husband is cooking himself a cheesesteak for dinner and it smells so good. I am having the lentil stew and corn on the cob:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!