Eat at Home 3!

After a few weeks of just picking up minimal groceries and using what was in the freezer and pantry...I finally hit the grocery store and Costco to stock up on some basics again. I will be going to the farmers market on Wednesday to get some fresh veggies as we are heading out to the lake for the long weekend! I'm also working the second job Tuesday and Thursday so the hubby and boys will be making supper those nights. I plan, but they are in charge

Tuesday - sausage, pierogies, corn on the cob and a tossed salad
Wednesday - my mil's creamed fresh veggie soup, bbqed chicken, parmesan zucchini wedges, fresh potatoes and tossed salad
Thursday - tacos tossed salad
Friday - heading to the lake - so fire roasted hotdogs and smores
Saturday - Steak, potatoes, fresh mixed veggies, salad and garlic toast
Sunday - hamburgers and hopefully fresh caught pickerel
Monday - any left overs from the weekend!

Back from a bit of travel, can finally cook at home

Tuesday - Turkey tacos (taco tuesday!)
Wednesday - Breaded, fried pork loins with green sauces (lemon juice, olive oil, capers, parsley... all blended)
Thursday - Picky eaters have leftovers, adventurers have steamed mussels in white wine sauce
Friday- Fish tacos
Saturday - Make your own pizza (bread machine dough)
Sunday - Grilled, marinated skirt steak
Monday - Black bean soup

Our deep freeze bit the dust so I've been trying to clean out our fridge freezer for more room. Last night was open faced hot turkey sandwiches using a loaf of bread from the freezer, turkey gravy, mashed potatoes & a pkg of turkey deli meat that again, came from the freezer.
Next week will probably be more freezer odds & ends.

Kept this entire plan, except finally made the Korean pancakes (with frozen wild salmon and veg mixed in) and a Tom Yum meets Tom Kha soup on Monday...

Now, to this week:)...and no camp! (Bathroom has gotten off to a good start, so double hurrah!)

Sun (Friends over for afternoon game day) - Carryout Pizza, Strawberries
Mon - Homemade Honey Mustard Chicken Tenders, Mashed Potatoes, Coleslaw, Blueberries
Tues - Chicken Enchiladas, Refried Beans with Cheese and Salsa, Fresh Pineapple
Wed - Eggplant Parm, Creamy Polenta, Macedonia
Thurs - All Beef Hot Dogs, Sauerkraut and Onion Sauce, Baked Fries, Grapes, Smoothies
Fri - Leftovers (or Pizza Bites and Smoothies b/c I have a couple boxes that will either be a lunch or quick snacky dinner with veg sticks)
Sat - Out

So, this week went to heck b/c my brother called me at 4:15pm Monday and told me he was in all week...so I made him dinner all week. He hates mustard and hates fancy, so I made changes all week (and I ended up cooking in Sunday making Wednesday's polenta with a ragout).

I made my 1st set ever of Frosted Flakes chicken tenders (vs honey mustard) and they were a wild hit - since I was out of breadcrumbs, I used 1/2 a french baguette with the frosted flakes (ground in the food processor), a flour dust, and an egg bath mixed with a little honey, and a good amount of S&P and baked them (and then broiled last few minutes) and everyone loved the sweet/salty/spicy thing A LOT (AND THEY WERE CRUNCHY:)...then Tuesday, I made straightforward chicken sandwiches. My brother stayed away Wednesday for a work dinner, but it was movie night, so I made breakfast for dinner (scrambled eggs, sausage, English muffins, and strawberries/kiwi) and then Thursday, I made his request - Meatloaf, Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad, and Choose-Your-Own Fruit (from cherries, nectarines, kiwi, and blueberries). Yesterday, after shopping tax free day, I made my Spaghetti and Meatballs with a Veg Tomato Sauce and Breadsticks. And today, we are still going out.

I'm shopping tomorrow, so no plan yet...but I figure I did well adapting VERY last minute to always invited guests:)...

This week will be focusing on using up what we have. I’ll just be grabbing dairy/snacks/ produce at the grocery store tomorrow. Friday will be a big grocery and Costco shop.

Friday - Nobody felt like cooking or a big meal so we had egg/bacon/cheese bagel sandwiches and melon.
Saturday - roast chicken breast, roasted Parmesan cauliflower, garden salad
Sunday - Grilled Hamburgers, corn on the cob , watermelon
Monday - it’s a holiday for us and we will spend the day at my inlaws place. Not sure what we are having.
Tuesday- Buffalo Chicken Penne
Wednesday - wraps ( beef , taco seasoning, cheese, veggies)
Thursday Shepard’s pie and broccoli

I have a lighter work week coming up, so I picked a few foods that take more time. Plus, I hope to make some homemade dill pickles, kimchi, and daikon kimchi as well.

Weekend (sat/sun)--48 hour fast
Monday: green bean salad, pita bread chips and raw veggies, homemade hummus
Tuesday: pork picadillo chile rellenos and green salad
Wednesday: Yushiang pork, stir fried sichuan cabbage, steamed rice
Thursday: Shrimp etouffee, rice of some sort, and mustard or collard greens
Friday: Either leftovers or takeout (have a long commute Fri, so I won't want to cook)
Saturday: A local festival, so we'll be eating yummy junk food from booths and food trucks
Sunday: Fasting

Last edited:
Sunday: Grilled steak, roasted potatoes, corn on the cob
Monday: Butter chicken, rice, naan
Tuesday: Ground turkey tacos, beans, rice
Wednesday: Lettuce wraps
Thursday: BBQ ribs, zucchini
Friday: Bacon cheeseburgers, fries
Saturday: Beach day, so no idea when we're getting home. We'll probably pick something up or eat whatever we have that's quick and easy.

This week's plans...
Sunday - Korean BBQ short ribs, Corn on the Cob, Strawberries, Garlic Bread
Monday (birthday) - 3 folks are going to Korean BBQ - the rest are having Frozen Pizza with an Iceberg Wedge Salad
Tuesday - BLTAs, Baked Fries, Blueberries and Cherries
Wednesday - Honey Mustard Chicken, Asian Slaw, Zucchini Apple Muffins, Nectarines
Thursday - Chicken Tacos, Refried Beans, Strawberries and Bananas
Friday - Thai Curry Chicken, White Rice, Roasted Zucchini, Fruit Smoothies
Saturday - OUT

Korean bbq 2 days in a row? I'm jealous! I'm making a couple kinds of kimchi, but all for future meals.

Well, one is homemade and one is for my 2 daughters and 1 adult to enjoy at a restaurant for a birthday dinner (my 2 youngest won't eat all the sides or all you can eat, so thus, we are splitting:)...but when I saw a rib deal that was unbeatable at the store today ($1.29/lb) and I knew I had an open 1/2 jar of Galbi sauce and some Hot Chili Jam (to give it a kick) at home, well, it became an easy dinner prep:)...notice my sides are all American (and were also killer grocery deals:)...but ribs can go with anything:)...

We had a similar price for Korean style ribs a few weeks ago, and I did the same thing--also using American sides. :) I love making Korean side dishes, but it takes a lot of planning. I tend to make 1-2 a day till I have 10 or so. We have no good local Korean restaurants. The ones we do have are really mediocre, and just serve a couple sides at a time. Whenever we leave town, we hit up either Korean or Japanese style bbq (my husband says it's because I prefer to cook, even in a restaurant. :) )

I´ve come up with a plan that I am really enjoying so far and hope I can stick to for the long haul. I am essentially cooking the same meals for week 1 and 3 of the month and another set of meals for week 2 and 4. My hope is to have a monthly menu for each season.

My thought is this: 1) We may get sick of these meals but I´ve selected family favorites 2)I am going to get really good at cooking these meals! I am hoping that each time I make it, I can decrease my prep time and make them without using a recipe. 3)It allows one to use up those pesky jars of soy sauce, Dijon mustard, etc that sit in the fridge for months. 4)It allows me to save money on ingredients because I am repeatedly purchasing those ingredients and am more aware of pricing. Also, after purchasing some of the staples (besides produce) I most likely have those ingredients on hand.

Weeks One and Three menus are:
Flank steak with chimichurri sauce, baked potato wedges and arugula salad
Chicken and broccoli stir fry with rice
Bobby Flay Turkey burgers(Food Network website) and arugula
Sunny´s Easy Pork Chops(See Food Network website) with rice and arugula
*We love arugula! Plus it stays fresher longer than other greens

Weeks Two and Four:
Chicken tacos with home made salsa, fresh Mexican cheese
Zucchini lasagna (Food Network website)
Big salad with various toppings and french bread** I can use the leftover grilled chicken for this salad
Grilled chicken thighs with baked potato wedges and arugula parmesan salad **Make extra grilled chicken for salad

Just had to share!

Last week went well. I cooked at home every night and only ordered out lunch once, which ended up being free since the delivery people screwed up and left our food in his car for an hour. They made us fresh and didn’t charge. This week’s menu plans

Tonight- chicken parmigiana with salad
Monday- pork souvlaki with grilled zucchini, naan bread, and tatziki sauce
Tuesday- beer can chicken with roasted potatoes and grilled corn
Wednesday- leftovers
Thursday- buffalo chicken pizza
Friday- pork chops with apples and onions and noodles
Saturday- wedding

I was gifted a bushel of okra an ten pounds of squash today, so we are having a lot of it this week.

Monday - Ribeye steak, loaded cauliflower, roasted okra
Tuesday- pork verde, roasted okra, fried squash, rice, refried beans
Wednesday - beef and bean tacos, Mexican corn with peppers and okra
Thursday - roasted chicken quarters, squash casserole, fried okra (I am roasting a ten pound bag of chicken. I’ll debone some of it and freeze it for Saturday and Sunday meals.)
Friday - Cajun chicken pasta
Saturday - roasted chicken with white gravy on new potatoes with green beans from the farmers market.
Sunday - chicken gumbo

Meal planning is going to be critical over the next few months as DD made the high school volleyball team and my DH is a college soccer coach and his schedule is about to get crazy! My garden did really well this year so a lot of the meals this week are using up those items too.

I made ratatouille for the first time last night to take for lunches this week. Used the squash, peppers, and tomatoes from the garden. Only had to buy cheese and eggplant.

Dinners:
Sunday: Buffalo Chicken Dip, Fruit
Monday: Philly Cheese steak sandwiches, fries (using peppers from garden)
Tuesday: Hot dogs (chicken sausage), mac and cheese, roasted green beans
Wednesday: Leftovers or Spaghetti squash (from garden) casserole, roasted brussel spouts
Thursday: Ground Turkey Enchiladas, Black beans, corn
Friday: Frozen Pizza, salad

So Gen Con just about killed me and I am so happy I have an easy meal in the slow cooker for dinner today. Also back on the diet tomorrow after a 5 days of eating out. Today I am mostly just snacking between naps!

Monday: Rustic chicken slow cooker stew
Tuesday: L/O
Wednesday: L/O
Thursday: Ground beef and mushroom stroganoff over egg noodles and steamed broccoli
Friday: L/O

Since a break up last week, I have enough leftovers (I was cooking for two) for lunch and dinner. I'm alternating between finishing a six pound Costco lasagna and dinner from last Thursday: baked breaded chicken, red potatoes and corn. My goal is for this food to last me through Saturday with three lunch/dinners accounted for with plans with friends. Sunday will likely be the first actual meal I make.

That will be Garlic Infused Oil Broccoli and Pasta. And that will last at least two meals.

I planned out two weeks of meals and planned to do a lot of grilling on my day off Sun. but ended up having a migraine that lasted all day! DH was doing stuff around the house and just got pizza for him and DS with a good coupon deal. I ended up grocery shopping on the way home from work Monday and we just did random leftovers from the week before. Here's the rest of the plans:

Tue (8-5): slow cooker root beer pulled pork sandwiches with baked beans
Wed (1-10): DS ate at work, DH and I finished the leftover pizza
Thu (off): Finally getting to grill tonight! grilled ribeye with garlic sauce and arugula & spinach salad
Fri (1-10): grilled bbq chicken with bacon pea salad
Sat (8-5): eat out after church
Sun (10-7): Grecian chicken with veggies & orzo
Mon (8-5): pulled pork nachos
Tue (1-10): spicy plum chicken with crusty bread
Wed (off): All American burgers with homemade potato salad
Thu (1-10): bbq pork chops with homemade coleslaw
Fri (8-5): pineapple steak with tomato & mozzarella salad

Stuck with last week's plan, though I subbed chicken for shrimp in my etouffee because I didn't have the kind of shrimp that makes good shrimp stock (headed and pre-peeled). We ate homemade food rather than take out Friday (pasta with pesto, potatoes, and green beans--- our basil is growing like crazy).

Today: fast
Monday: Thai fried rice with coconut and kale in it, with a crispy fried egg on top
Tuesday: Sichuan chicken (we call it "fuzzy tongue chicken" because it makes your mouth numb), and hot and sour cabbage
Wednesday: Enchiladas suiza and green salad
Thursday: Jambalaya and either leftover salad or collard greens
Friday: Indian fire roasted eggplant spread and homemade naan, some sort of greens or other veggie unless I'm lazy

This all sounds very good! I made bulgogi in the Instant Pot last week with 2 lbs of stew meat. Made bibimbap twice, now I'm thinking Fried Kimchi rice. My mouth is watering.

Okra is in season at our farmer's market. Made gumbo a couple weeks ago. So good, I'm going to do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter