Easter side dish ideas

mommytotwo

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of making a ham this year and would like ideas for side dishes.

One that I am thinking of making is twice baked potatoes-does anyone have a good recipe for this?

This will be a lunch gathering with both kids and adults. It will be unformal like, an outside gathering, and we might also grill hamburgers and hot dogs.

I make a mock twiced baked potato casserole. It is fairly simple and you can make it ahead of time. :) I hope you enjoy the recipe...

5 lbs. of yukon gold potatoes (peel, cube, boil until tender, drain well)
2 cloves of garlic minced or 1 Tbs. of jarred chopped garlic
1 medium sweet onion diced
2-3 Tbs of butter
2 16 oz. tubs of sour cream
2 cups shredded colby jack (finely shredded) - reserve 1/2 cup
4 Tbs. chives (dried from the spice section)
salt & pepper to taste

In saute pan place butter (adjust amount as necessary), onion, and garlic. Saute until onions begin to brown and are tender. Mash potatoes very well with hand mixer. Mix in sour cream (can adjust for desired thickness), 1 1/2 cups of cheese, onions and garlic. Place in a shallow casserole dish. Top with chives and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are lightly browned.

If you make the night before you will need to bake it at 350 for about 1 hour. Baking time is dependent on the depth of your casserole dish. The one I use is about as deep as a standard 9 x 13 pan, so the times I have written down are based on that.

We always have cheesy potatoes with our ham. They are my favorite. So much so, that we had them at our prom too (we had the meal at school). Anyway....
6-8 potatoes, boiled and peeled
1 16 oz sour cream
2 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 c onion, to taste
salt & pepper
Cook and peel the potatoes. Grate them to shredded (I just use frozen hashbrowns, but my mom always uses the real potatoes). Put in 9X11 pan, mix in cheese, sour cream and onion. Stir together so it is mixed and spread out in pan. Salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for about 20- 30 minutes until cheese is melted and it is heated through. Love them.
Also, these measurements aren't exact so do some experimenting.

P.S. I used to always do these in a crockpot for work potlucks using frozen hashbrowns. Turned on high for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally. However, I always took the hashbrowns out of the freezer the night before so they weren't frozen.

Last Easter I made Patty Labelle's famous "Over the Rainbow" Mac n cheese (apparently, Elton John's favorite) ... I'd always wanted to try it, and never had occassion to make it. Well, forget the Easter ham, my family is all about the Easter mac-n-cheese! It's not even remotely 'light' but it is really good! The only thing that I feel it's missing is the hot sauce, but I then I don't know anyone else who likes hot sauce in mac-n-cheese :)

Traditionally we also make sweet carrots (with a cranberry butter sauce) coleslaw and asparagus

heather

i don't have a real recipe, but i usually make twice baked potatoes at christmas for my family gethering -- i just make the mashed potatoes as normal addidng either cream cheese or sour cream, lots of cheese, salt and pepper. but i wanted to add in here that i do make a sweet potato twice-baked potato and if you like a traditional sweet potatoe casserole ( you know with brown sugar ane pecans) then it's a great variety

i always make them within a week or two prior, freeze them and then just heat in the oven

I am making mashed potato casserole which sounds alot like ohmom's recipe. If you want my recipe let me know.

If you end up grilling how about a pasta salad of some sort? Were having that with our ham, but it always goes well with grilled food.

And of course were having green bean casserole!

mommytotwo said:
I am thinking of making a ham this year and would like ideas for side dishes.

One that I am thinking of making is twice baked potatoes-does anyone have a good recipe for this?

This will be a lunch gathering with both kids and adults. It will be unformal like, an outside gathering, and we might also grill hamburgers and hot dogs.

Before I read this actual thread, I read the title and said to myself "I will post my twice baked potatoes recipe." lol

It is soo good! I make them every holiday, and my family devour's them within minutes!

Shrimp Baked Potatoes
(serves 6)

3-medium sized potatoes
half- of a stick of butter
15- peeled and deviened,sauted shrimp
half-of a pint of sourcream
1cup- of shredded cheese
1 tbsp.-paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
Bake potatoes until done. Take potatoes out of oven and cut in half. Scoop the inside of the potatoes in a bowl. (You should now have 6 halves of potatoe skins) Add all ingriedients together in bowl. Mix well together carefully. Add "stuffing" back in the potato skins and top with more shredded cheese and paprika. Bake until cheese is golden brown!

I am craving this so bad now! Hope I helped!

heathrow42 said:
Last Easter I made Patty Labelle's famous "Over the Rainbow" Mac n cheese (apparently, Elton John's favorite) ... I'd always wanted to try it, and never had occassion to make it. Well, forget the Easter ham, my family is all about the Easter mac-n-cheese! It's not even remotely 'light' but it is really good! The only thing that I feel it's missing is the hot sauce, but I then I don't know anyone else who likes hot sauce in mac-n-cheese :)

heather

Heather, you have got to post the recipe for Patti LaBelle's famous "Over the Rainbow" mac n cheese! Pretty please? I googled it, and it showed up in a cookbook at Amazon, but there's no way it would get that book here in time for Easter. Pretty, pretty, pretty please??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter