Early planning stages, Skip express pass this trip

jm106

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone. I am new to this group but not Disboards (however infrequent.)
I have just planned a trip August 10-16. Last trip to Universal parks was 2014 and 2012.
This time we are staying on site at Endless Summer and took advantage of the buy 2 get 3 free promo.
I have not, on our past trips, gotten express pass.
My question is with 5 days worth of passes as well as on site early entry, is it safe to skip the express pass this trip? We are good getting up early to take advantage of mornings a couple of days and after mid day pool break, return at night. Then we can mix it with sleeping in or early evening to lounge or swim.
I appreciate sharing of the knowledge and experiences and more so just others to get excited with.

Hello everyone. I am new to this group but not Disboards (however infrequent.)
I have just planned a trip August 10-16. Last trip to Universal parks was 2014 and 2012.
This time we are staying on site at Endless Summer and took advantage of the buy 2 get 3 free promo.
I have not, on our past trips, gotten express pass.
My question is with 5 days worth of passes as well as on site early entry, is it safe to skip the express pass this trip? We are good getting up early to take advantage of mornings a couple of days and after mid day pool break, return at night. Then we can mix it with sleeping in or early evening to lounge or swim.
I appreciate sharing of the knowledge and experiences and more so just others to get excited with.
I'm planning almost this exact same thing, except the first week of next March. I was looking at a throwaway room in RPR to get the EPs, but then I realized that I could get an additional night's stay at Cabana Bay (duh) for even less. I feel pretty good that with 5 days and early entry, we will be able to see and do what we want plus plenty of resort time, even without the EP.

Last edited:
On site? Not really. The actual hotel is off site on International Drive at the old Wet and Wild Water Theme Park location. Although Universal considers it on-site, I guess, since its at the intersection of Universal Blvd and I-Drive so that makes it an easy sell to tourists. Hence the great promotion deal. It'll be about a 5 minute bus ride to the park. That said, the time of year you're going, and being early risers, you probably won't need Express Passes. Will be interesting to see how the bus shuttle works out for them and their guests as there won't be any other options such as the boats and it's quite a distance to walk. I'd be sure to have Uber or Lyft on my phone -LOL! Have fun at the new hotel-it looks really nice-and let us know what you think.

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

On site? Not really. The actual hotel is off site on International Drive at the old Wet and Wild Water Theme Park location. Although Universal considers it on-site, I guess, since its at the intersection of Universal Blvd and I-Drive so that makes it an easy sell to tourists. Hence the great promotion deal. It'll be about a 5 minute bus ride to the park. That said, the time of year you're going, and being early risers, you probably won't need Express Passes. Will be interesting to see how the bus shuttle works out for them and their guests as there won't be any other options such as the boats and it's quite a distance to walk. I'd be sure to have Uber or Lyft on my phone -LOL! Have fun at the new hotel-it looks really nice-and let us know what you think.
Thanks, yes I looked up where it is located and see its the old Wet and Wild. Its not connected but onsite(I should have said its a Universal resort but I am resorting to my Disney terms of "on site") in that its close with transportation and its not me driving from middle of Orlando as I did in the past, parking and missing that early entry advantage.
I am excited to see it, looks like a great room and I am happy with the 2 room option for the price!! I will report back.

Reactions: EmJ
I agree with 5 days you'd have time to cover everything without EP. But for us, EP is a must because even though we have the time, that doesn't mean we like waiting 60+ minutes for certain attractions. And we also like that with EP, we can sleep in and head over to the parks on our own time with no alarm. No worry about rope drop or doing headliner attractions first. Its much more of a leisurely and enjoyable trip for us with EP.

So I guess the question for you would be whether the additional expense is worth it for a more relaxing time.

I agree with 5 days you'd have time to cover everything without EP. But for us, EP is a must because even though we have the time, that doesn't mean we like waiting 60+ minutes for certain attractions. And we also like that with EP, we can sleep in and head over to the parks on our own time with no alarm. No worry about rope drop or doing headliner attractions first. Its much more of a leisurely and enjoyable trip for us with EP.

So I guess the question for you would be whether the additional expense is worth it for a more relaxing time.

Ditto for us.

I would say if you can afford it, I would go for staying at an on-site hotel for the EP. As a passholder, I never had a reason to stay at the hotels and I've always done half days. However, whenever I didn't have a pass and went with the family we always stayed on site at an EP hotel, or if I could afford to stay a day and could take the time off when I had a pass, I took advantage of it and went for it.

If you're comfortable with spending the money that is what I suggest, as it will make the whole experience I believe more enjoyable with you taking your time getting to the park, leaving the park whenever you wish, not having to wait for long periods of time, and it being more convenient in terms of location. As traveling from the hotel, to parking, to walking to Universal, or IoA will add up after time. A few miles from the park can add up to being a 15-20 minute drive. Which doesn't seem much now, but if you're staying for five days and if you plan on going back and forth to the hotel during the day, it will definitely be an energy saver if all you're doing instead is just walking, or boating back to the hotel.

Also, it will be hot like you said and school isn't back in session completely yet, so you got to think about that too.

I do not want to make it sound like a complete death sentence, as you can definitely get everything tackled in that time, beat the crowds early morning by getting there for the rope drop as you said you do not mind doing, and still have time to go back to the hotel to chill at the pool if you stay off property. It's just all those things above you have to consider as pros to staying on property and cons for not staying on property, as honestly the only con for staying on property at an EP hotel would be price (if you couldn't afford it).

I would say if you can afford it, I would go for staying at an on-site hotel for the EP. As a passholder, I never had a reason to stay at the hotels and I've always done half days. However, whenever I didn't have a pass and went with the family we always stayed on site at an EP hotel, or if I could afford to stay a day and could take the time off when I had a pass, I took advantage of it and went for it.

If you're comfortable with spending the money that is what I suggest, as it will make the whole experience I believe more enjoyable with you taking your time getting to the park, leaving the park whenever you wish, not having to wait for long periods of time, and it being more convenient in terms of location. As traveling from the hotel, to parking, to walking to Universal, or IoA will add up after time. A few miles from the park can add up to being a 15-20 minute drive. Which doesn't seem much now, but if you're staying for five days and if you plan on going back and forth to the hotel during the day, it will definitely be an energy saver if all you're doing instead is just walking, or boating back to the hotel.

Also, it will be hot like you said and school isn't back in session completely yet, so you got to think about that too.

I do not want to make it sound like a complete death sentence, as you can definitely get everything tackled in that time, beat the crowds early morning by getting there for the rope drop as you said you do not mind doing, and still have time to go back to the hotel to chill at the pool if you stay off property. It's just all those things above you have to consider as pros to staying on property and cons for not staying on property, as honestly the only con for staying on property at an EP hotel would be price (if you couldn't afford it).
Thanks, the EP hotels are a little out of my budget but Universal Endless Summer is a good happy medium. I appreciate the in site, everyone had good points, I will consider them all.
Since we will be at Endless summer resort and rely on Universals buses, we may do pools at other Universal resorts as well(I read pool hopping is ok.) We have done Aug and July, on and off site at Disney so I am comfortable with the buses back to resort mid day and the heat. We will be in Orlando 6 nights 7 days so we have down time built in

Thanks, the EP hotels are a little out of my budget but Universal Endless Summer is a good happy medium. I appreciate the in site, everyone had good points, I will consider them all.
Since we will be at Endless summer resort and rely on Universals buses, we may do pools at other Universal resorts as well(I read pool hopping is ok.) We have done Aug and July, on and off site at Disney so I am comfortable with the buses back to resort mid day and the heat. We will be in Orlando 6 nights 7 days so we have down time built in

That's awesome news! You should be set then if it's 6 nights, 7 days. You'll probably be able to rest up before going back home. Just pace yourself each day, which I'm sure you know since you've done this before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter