Early Magic Express and getting to the gate?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
My friend who needs a wheelchair is on a 7:15 AM flight on Frontier. When she gets dropped off at MCO very early, she is concerned about getting a wheelchair to take her to check in for her flight. What can she do if anything?

She remembers getting to MCO early once and a flight attendant helped her out, but she doesn’t want to depend on luck like that...someone just passing by.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't blame her. I had a very negative experience with DME and needing wheelchair assistance. No one came from my airline, and no one took me over there. After a very long wait, someone from the airport took pity on me ("Are you STILL waiting"?) and took me to the airline's check in counter. I'd been told beforehand by both DME and the airline that my bus driver would call ahead, but when I asked the bus driver, he said "No" and when I asked him about it, he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Yes, I called DME when I got home and they gave me the same line about that they'd call ahead, but I hear complaints that nothing's happening. I hope things have finally improved,let me know.

I just talked to a supervisor at Disney’s Magical Express ....who told me basically it is not Magical Express that is responsible for having a wheelchair available, but they are there to assist you in getting one. When you get on the bus, mention to the bus driver that you will need to be met by a wheelchair. The wheelchair will be provided by skycab. The driver should radio in that information when he is about 10 minutes away. As you are ready to get off, ask the driver if he did radio in for you.

The ME supervisor gave me this number if you get to the airport and after 5 minutes or so, a wheelchair does not show up.

I THINK this is the skycab number 407-825-3931. It is the number the supervisor gave me if you get to the airport find you need help.

Thanks, I wish I'd had that number when I used DME last. I think my problem was that my bus driver wasn't informed on the policy, that he was supposed to call. He just refused. If I'd had that phone number, I could have called.

My friend who needs a wheelchair is on a 7:15 AM flight on Frontier. When she gets dropped off at MCO very early, she is concerned about getting a wheelchair to take her to check in for her flight. What can she do if anything?

She remembers getting to MCO early once and a flight attendant helped her out, but she doesn’t want to depend on luck like that...someone just passing by.

Hi, bobbiwoz. It has been a long time since I was without my own mobility device using D.M.E.

I posted my experiences on the Disability Board with photos.

Some guests say they asked the D.M.E. driver to please ask for a wheelchair for when they arrived at the Orlando International Airport. I think that worked with one person here, but not so much for others. I would definitely let the driver know that she is by herself and she needs the wheelchair and would appreciate if the driver would call their supervisor to help.

I like the bell cap phone number idea.

There are an escalator and bank of elevators right next to the D.M.E. area. You can see the photos in my thread.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...esort-experience-using-my-wheelchair.3759724/

Hi, bobbiwoz. It has been a long time since I was without my own mobility device using D.M.E.

I posted my experiences on the Disability Board with photos.

Some guests say they asked the D.M.E. driver to please ask for a wheelchair for when they arrived at the Orlando International Airport. I think that worked with one person here, but not so much for others. I would definitely let the driver know that she is by herself and she needs the wheelchair and would appreciate if the driver would call their supervisor to help.

I like the bell cap phone number idea.

There are an escalator and bank of elevators right next to the D.M.E. area. You can see the photos in my thread.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...esort-experience-using-my-wheelchair.3759724/
Thank you, the number was not correct. I will be working on this again.

Thank you, the number was not correct. I will be working on this again.

I did some research and you are correct about the phone number.

You need to have the phone number of your airline's disability unit and ask them if they could send a skycap with a wheelchair to help you since skycaps work for the airlines.

If you require a wheelchair, please contact your airline in advance and they should be able to provide a wheelchair for your use within the airport.

Skycaps are available to assist passengers. Typical services include curbside check-in, carrying baggage, wheelchair assistance, etc. Please contact your particular airline to arrange for assistance from its skycaps. It is customary to tip skycaps for services provided.

So when she makes her airline reservations, request wheelchair assistance on arrival and departure.

Call the airline disability unit for a phone number to use when you use D.M.E. to arrive at the Orlando International Airport.

Or if she is able, she could use the escalator or the elevator next to D.M.E. up to the 3rd floor to ask an airline attendant that you need wheelchair assistance to your gate. I am sure other airlines will help call your airline when you get to the first airline counter.

Also, I usually stay at Disney Pop Century Resort, and they don't open until 5:00 A.M. each morning and you are usually given a three hour time to catch the D.M.E. bus. Last time I barely made it because my Delta Airline departure was too early. I barely made the limit by about 15-minutes to get the D.M.E. at Pop to take my checked luggage and give me a ticket.

If my airline departure was much earlier, they said that I would have to show up at the D.M.E. bus and take my luggage and check it myself.

One of the nice things about D.M.E. is that I don't have to haul my luggage around the airport or from the D.M.E. bus to Pop and back. Especially since I use a wheelchair.

I will be flying Delta. Just got off phone with Delta Wheelchair assistance. Their number gives you tso choices, if you need immediate assistance dial "2" . See if you can find a number for Frontier wheelchair assistance.

Only once in six years using Magical Express did someone meet me with a wheelchair, and that was years,ago. There seems to be a miscommunication as to who is supposed to help you once you leave the bus and arrive at your gate.

Last year, the bus driver made me get out of "his" wheelchair and left me on the sidewalk without assistance. I walked extremely slowly with help of complete strangers. Then I had to stand (I have difficulty getting up, so I chose not to sit) for what seemed like hours. after waiting someone from Magical Express desk brought t me a Southwest wheelchair. Finally someone helped me. I went and made a stop to speak to a supervisor at Delta, they said it was up to Magical Express. The airline has no way of knowing you are arriving. Of course, Magical Express blamerline.

I will be flying Delta. Just got off phone with Delta Wheelchair assistance. Their number gives you tso choices, if you need immediate assistance dial "2" . See if you can find a number for Frontier wheelchair assistance.

Only once in six years using Magical Express did someone meet me with a wheelchair, and that was years,ago. There seems to be a miscommunication as to who is supposed to help you once you leave the bus and arrive at your gate.

Last year, the bus driver made me get out of "his" wheelchair and left me on the sidewalk without assistance. I walked extremely slowly with help of complete strangers. Then I had to stand (I have difficulty getting up, so I chose not to sit) for what seemed like hours. after waiting someone from Magical Express desk brought t me a Southwest wheelchair. Finally someone helped me. I went and made a stop to speak to a supervisor at Delta, they said it was up to Magical Express. The airline has no way of knowing you are arriving. Of course, Magical Express blamerline.
That sounds like an awful experience. I hope nothing like that ever happens again, to anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter