Early-ish May versus early August

ewasilau

Mouseketeer
Hi,
Curious what those with experience at WDW in May think of the crowds, especially as compared to the summer. We have two trip options this year, sometime around May 7-14 (but only 5 nights, to minimize missing school), or very end of July /early August. Is it worth pulling kids out (1 elementary school and 2 in middle school - about to hit high school so last time we could do this during school) meaning will we be able to tell the difference in the crowds and do more? We could possibly go for a night or two longer if we wait for summer, depending on our resort choice (looking at some 20% off deals in May so unless we do POR in summer, we may be stuck with only 5 nights either way - we would love to try YC or BC for walking access to 2 parks and great pool).
FYI - we went 4.5 years ago in late August and heat didn't bother us too much, and crowds not awful, especially with good planning, but we can't go that late this year. Assuming more crowds in early August?
Thanks for any advice!

We usually go in August, although we didn't go last year. Early August has been at the lower and of high level crowds. We had the opportunity to go around the same time you are considering in May a few years ago and the crowds were noticeably lower. The school issues aside, I would probably prefer the May trip, but I would first check expected crowd calendars to make sure nothing is happening to cause crowd levels to spike. I wouldn't want to pull my kids out of school to arrive and find out the crowd levels are about the same. YC and BC are always on our list for at least one of our stays (we usually do a split stay). It is so nice to have EP and HS near. It helps in planning for park hopping days. Also, there has been a noticeable lowering of crowds in later August during our past stays.

If it weren’t for school schedules, early May would be my preferred time to visit WDW.
Lower crowds than fall or summer, warm enough for t-shirt and shorts all-day weather (but not quite summer hot), Flower and Garden time.

I’ve been both of these times. I prefer May. We were there the second week of May this year and it was in the 90s every day (hit 95 one day), but it was much less humid. You also don’t have the threat of hurricanes in May. Crowds were totally manageable. Good luck with whatever you choose!

May should be a more pleasant time to visit. I would expect crowds to be about equal at those two times. If you are open to taking the kids out of school, I say go in May

May May May. Early May is gorgeous, weather if fantastic. Crowds are very very low. I think it is a sweet spot. Last year, people reported everything was practically walk on. I remember checking wait times and they were practically nonexistent. I would love to go during this time.

Thanks for the thoughts - looks like May is the hands-down favorite. Would May 11-16 be early enough? The earliest we could arrive is likely May 9, though prices seem a little lower for 5 nights starting May 11, for some reason.

We had always gone in June or August but last year went in early May. Weather was much better in May (hot but lower humidity) and crowds were lower. We went May 7-14 (day after DD graduated college). We stayed at BW as we like to walk to EP and DH.

2018 Summer will be caos if Toy Story Lands open as predicted. May is way better choice, unless you do want to be there when Toy Story Land is open

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter