Early Arrival Thread (how to get the loop you want at the earliest time)

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
Ok. There has been lots of great advice on many threads about the best early arrival strategies. I thought it would be nice to have evereyone's theories and success stories in one place. Post your best kept secrets on how to get the loop, or even site, that you really wanted.

I also had one basic question I hadn't seen answered. I plan on arriving fairly early morning on Saturday September 16th. Probably around 8:00. In the past, I just pulled up to the lanes and had the friendly CM hand me my packet and site assignment at the outside booth. I always booked a non-pet Preferred, so I knew I'd be in the 100 or 200 loops. I also arrived mid afternoon, so my site was always ready. Many have said you can accept the assignment or ask for what else is available or open at that time, if your site isn't ready. I booked a Premium this time. I'm not hung up on getting a specific loop (I rented a cart for the first time), but I would like to get a site that is ready.

My question is, can you negotiate a different site outside at the booth or do you have to park and go inside?

If you go inside, do you park your rig in the lot in front of the Outpost or do you have to stay in the check in lanes?

j

Ok. There has been lots of great advice on many threads about the best early arrival strategies. I thought it would be nice to have evereyone's theories and success stories in one place. Post your best kept secrets on how to get the loop, or even site, that you really wanted.

I also had one basic question I hadn't seen answered. I plan on arriving fairly early morning on Saturday September 16th. Probably around 8:00. In the past, I just pulled up to the lanes and had the friendly CM hand me my packet and site assignment at the outside booth. I always booked a non-pet Preferred, so I knew I'd be in the 100 or 200 loops. I also arrived mid afternoon, so my site was always ready. Many have said you can accept the assignment or ask for what else is available or open at that time, if your site isn't ready. I booked a Premium this time. I'm not hung up on getting a specific loop (I rented a cart for the first time), but I would like to get a site that is ready.

My question is, can you negotiate a different site outside at the booth or do you have to park and go inside?

If you go inside, do you park your rig in the lot in front of the Outpost or do you have to stay in the check in lanes?

j

We usually arrive on a Sunday morning and have always used the drive up lanes. Once assigned a site we ask what else is available in our loop. They give us a list and if we are not to fond of our site we can call the front desk from the loop and they will switch right there. We only did this once when we had the pop up since our assigned site was full sun (I think 1610).

Last time we arrived, they had us head inside while we left our rig in the lane, but this was on a monday morning, and well it was about 7am. Our site was not ready, we parked in the lot out front and headed to AK for the day. They sent us a text with our site number about 330pm.

I've asked for a different site at the booth and the CM pulled out a list of available sites and let me pick. She then typed something into her booth computer and I was good to go with the "better" site. I didn't have to go inside.

But most of the time I just accept what they assign me.

Last time we arrived around 0700 and went inside. Just left rig parked in lane. I have negotiated a new site each of my trips and done so at booth and indoors.

In the past it has seemed that the earlier you arrive the better the options you have to get a site that is open. It is for this reason I no longer worry about getting a certain site or loop prior to my arrival.

Last time we arrived around 0700 and went inside. Just left rig parked in lane. I have negotiated a new site each of my trips and done so at booth and indoors.

In the past it has seemed that the earlier you arrive the better the options you have to get a site that is open. It is for this reason I no longer worry about getting a certain site or loop prior to my arrival.
Thanks for everyone's replies. Now I have to decide what loop I want and make a list of sites that I think will fit the bill. We are staying Friday night at Lake Louisa. I just have to get everyone up early on Saturday to get to the Fort early enough for a great pick.

j

Let's discuss how room and site assignments happen at WDW.

1) The first run-through is done via the mainframe computer.
2) These are downloaded to the resorts 4-5 days ahead of guest arrival time.
3) Ressies that don't easily "fit in" are assigned by Back Room CM's (behind the Front Desk at the resort).
4) These CM's are basically playing a game of Rubik's Cube trying to balance ressie, rooms, and number of nights.
5) Once accomplished (and sometimes as late as the night before check-in), the assignments are set.
6) Now, a guest checks-in about 6:05am (the earliest a guest can check-in).
7) The guest wants a different room/site, within the same room/site classification.
8) The Front Desk CM can switch the room/site with another of the same class, as long as the reserved nights match.
. . . example: switch Preferred Site #102 for 5-nights with Preferred Site #1544 with the same 5-nights
9) The CM does not need any further approval to make these switches.
10) If the guest wants to change categories, the FSA (Front Desk Advisor, who is an hourly CM) can assist and make a change, if one is available.
11) I frequently move people around for different views or locations.
12) Alas, the later a guest checks-in, the fewer the chances of being able to move their assigned room/site.
13) In many cases, the later check-in gets a much less desirable location than was originally assigned to that guest.
14) The guest's room/site could have been change 2-3 times before the guest arrives to check-in.
15) This is just the way it works in the "Hotel Biz", not just WDW.
NOTE1:
At resorts, I have seen parking lot views re-assigned to a guest who originally had a woods view assigned.
At The Fort, I have seen guests moved to a noisy site when originally assigned a quiet one.
NOTE2:
Also, please remember, a reservation IS NEVER guaranteed.
When you check-in, you can be moved to another resort or another room/site category.
This is regardless of what your confirmation states.

Thanks TRS,

It's nice to hear the "inside' perspective.

And hopefully you are feeling better and rehab is going well.

j

And here I was just SOOO Sure that that you called Rocky who would gather up the Boys and see what things look liked where you wanted and if the current occupants refused a simple request failed then THEY made, Them Offer They Couldn't Refuse

Teamubr,

To add to what others have said:

1. Try to check in on a day other than the popular Friday or Saturday. Not always possible, I know, but I found it easier to get a site in 1500 loop if it's on a Thursday and not Saturday.

2. I use the Early Check-in option in MDE and use the check-in time option. I always specify early like 630am and that I am willing to wait so when the text comes with the site number, if I am still on the road I know that I will have to talk my way to a better site/loop if I can.

3. Scupper listed many excellent points in a concise manner. You can roll someone else's site if they haven't arrived yet or used the Early Check-in.

4. Also it seems the same info is available to the CM's checking you in whether you use the check-in lanes or park and walk in the lobby.

When I last was at the Fort in the first week of January, I came over from Lake Louisa SP in the morning darkness just after 630am. The guard at the gate told me to pull up to the check-in lanes (which were not staffed) and walk on in to the lobby. It was only two CM's and me in there - so quiet and peaceful.

Of course if you have the golf cart, the desired loop matters a little less. But I mentioned some obvious points that I know that you know but every one else may not.

Bama Ed

Reading all of this, if we stay 5 hours away I may just have to wake the hubby up extra early in order to get better chance at an excellent site. We are arriving on a Saturday but hope to stay in the 2100 loop. Hope not as many people want to stay that far away from things, but we just need to be closer to our daughter who will be staying in a cabin in hopefully the 2300 loop.

I guess there are all kinds of strategies that work for different people. For many years we have arrived between 10-11 AM on Tuesdays and have nearly always received our 100 loop preference (sometimes 200). I never do online checking, but do state our preference when making our ressies (by phone).

I just did my online check in for my October trip and I thought the request options were pretty dismal. I have paid for a premium site and clicked that we need a pet loop since we will have our dog with us. My mom is also traveling the same time and I have done her check in, same site type and pet loop also since she also has a dog.

I really, really, really want the 400 loop again and I also really, really want my mom to be near us, at least in the same loop. Is there any way to request the 400 loop specifically? I thought I was able to request it last time we went 2 years ago and I got it. I also did a fax in request last time I was at Pop Century and I got the exact room I requested. So is there a fax number or a number to call and when I should plan on doing that?

So is there a fax number or a number to call and when I should plan on doing that?
I always used to do a fax too, but that was back when faxes existed and you didn't have to pull up a history book to explain them to kids. I've read on here, the best option is to call the reservation line and have them add it to the reservation. The online check is pretty bad now. At least it doesn't give us the option of "near stairs" anymore. (I was going to pick it if it was there) I picked "awning and slides" and thought, Doesn't nearly everyone in a Premium site?

As for being next (or close) to your mom, I thought you could call and have reservations linked. If not, it is something I would definitely call and have added to both of the reservations. You will probably need her resi number.

j

As for being next (or close) to your mom, I thought you could call and have reservations linked. If not, it is something I would definitely call and have added to both of the reservations. You will probably need her resi number.

j

I would definitely do this. I did this last year and they put my friend in the site next to mine. Of course there are no guarantees but they really do try to accommodate you.

Do you guy have the number to call? Fortunately I made my mom's reservations so we should already be linked, she doesn't even have her own MDE, I just did all her fastpasses, ADR's, and campsite on my MDE. But I'd like to call and request 400 loop.

Do you guy have the number to call? Fortunately I made my mom's reservations so we should already be linked, she doesn't even have her own MDE, I just did all her fastpasses, ADR's, and campsite on my MDE. But I'd like to call and request 400 loop.
+1 407-824-2900
The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, Phone - Good luck!

+1 407-824-2900
The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, Phone - Good luck!

1) This number gets you to the Call Center, NOT the resort.
2) Outside calls, and even inside calls to ressie resort/concierge/front desk ALL go through the Call Center.
30 it is more efficient and a lot cheaper, manpower-wise.

We're checking in on Saturday September 16th for a campsite and a cabin....party of 12. I have the reservations linked and am trying to figure out the best way to hopefully get within walking distance of each other. A golf cart isn't in the financial plan this trip and we have an infant and a toddler in the group. I'll probably call tomorrow, which loops should I request? We have a preferred campsite. I'm planning to do online check-in and didn't think about putting in a super early time....we probably won't arrive until around 10-11 am. Will that still work?

We're checking in on Saturday September 16th for a campsite and a cabin....party of 12. I have the reservations linked and am trying to figure out the best way to hopefully get within walking distance of each other. A golf cart isn't in the financial plan this trip and we have an infant and a toddler in the group. I'll probably call tomorrow, which loops should I request? We have a preferred campsite. I'm planning to do online check-in and didn't think about putting in a super early time....we probably won't arrive until around 10-11 am. Will that still work?

Well, you are going to have a bit of a walk. The preferred loops are not even close to any of the cabins. Kinda like one is at one end, cabins at the other. Preferred are 100, 200 and 300, cabin loops are 2100 to 2800. You could not get farther apart unless you booked a different resort. If you had gotten a premium, the 1100 and 2100 loops are very close, then Full hook ups are closer, but not right around the corner close.
One the plus side, the bus stop is close to the preferred sites, but walking, you are looking at about 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies.
Sorry to be the bearer of less than stellar news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter