• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

e-mail from Costco travel - RCCL gratuity rate increase

georgina

DIS Veteran
Just got an e-mail that daily gratuity rates for cruises after May 1 will be increasing 55¢ per person per day. ($3.85 per person for a 7 night cruise) It says you can prepay the gratuities by April 14 to do it at the lower rate. My first thought was that the cabin stewards can probably use that extra money. My second thought was that the old rate of $12.95 per person per day wasn't too bad. I haven't cruised in 8 years so I don't remember if we just gave the suggested amounts, I guess you may give more for great service? Does this amount cover the wait staff also?

Seems to me they gave us paper vouchers to give to our service people after we paid the gratuities. Is that how it is still done?

Last edited:
We didn't get anything....we had to prepay the tips for my time dining. The gratuity covers waitstaff too, but We did give extra cash at time of service to some of the help.

Doesn't sound like a very big increase. I don't think I'll make any change in my two current RCL reservations.

As far as giving more than the standard amount goes - it all depends on how well they perform their duties. If they do more than "adequate" service, they get a bit extra (probably a $10 or $20 in their envelope) and if they don't then the get the normal amount.

You don't get the papers anymore.

Stateroom attendant, server, assistant server, head dining room guy...I think that's who it covers. If you wish to give them more you can. Either in cash or go to Guest Services and tell them who you want to add tips for.

Any drink you buy (and any drinks package you buy) has an 18% gratuity added onto it. If you want to add more, do so, but be sure to look at how much you're already giving to them. :)

Shoney, in the last 6 months I *believe* they dumped the rule that you have to add tips on ahead of time to get MTD.

And FWIW, prepaying them means that you add them to your total. You don't PAY them right then, you just add them to the total that you will pay at PIF time. So it's really not a bad thing, to add it on ahead of time. If you want to.

They did a grat increase not too long ago, and I added grats to my December cruise then. So when we PIF full for that, it will include the old old gratuity price. Crazy!

(december cruise WAS a September-ish Alaska cruise for last year, which we booked possibly in Feb of 2014...cancelled that just before PIF, and while cancelling the Costco rep suggested that I just change it, so it got changed to Dec '16 out of San Juan...it's funny b/c it's the same confirmation number, and for ages it still said Alaska, but in December LOL, in my costcotravel.com account...anyway, added the gratuities onto the total back in 2015, and will finally pay it in September of this year)

Yeah our cruise was 2 years ago.
We are frequent all inclusive vaction people, not cruisers, so we like to tip at time of service.

Our first night we had a great table and waitstaff. Second night not so much. After that we requested to sit in the original waitstaff's section. We did get the same table, but we were a party of 6 so it really was the only one available! One night my son was too sunburned to go to dinner and the waiter packed him up 2 steaks, a plate of fries, and 2 pieces of chocolate cake. It was really nice of him so we tipped him. Another night he just kept piling lobster tails ont he table....yup another tip! I just rather tip on the spot then look for them on the last night.

I didn't get a notice, but it is fine even though when I go with just DD we don't eat in the MDR.
They work hard

I didn't get a notice, but it is fine even though when I go with just DD we don't eat in the MDR.
They work hard
Just for the record, the crew that works the MDR also work different venues throughout the ship at other times during the day. So you may see your MDR waiter bussing tables at Sorrentos, Cafe Promonade, or elsewhere.

Just for the record, the crew that works the MDR also work different venues throughout the ship at other times during the day. So you may see your MDR waiter bussing tables at Sorrentos, Cafe Promonade, or elsewhere.

I know...same on all ships.
I have no problem paying the gratuities even if not eating in the MDR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter