E is Three! A Tale of Food Poisoning, Hurricane Irma and Ever Changing Plans! Completed 2/7

MissMaryQC

DIS Veteran

E is Three!
A Tale of Food Poisoning, Hurricane Irma, and Every Changing Plans
I’ll apologize in advance for the lack of photos; photobucket is a jerk and I'm too lazy to swap out the images.

Onward!

Let's cover some introductions

My name is Mary, and I will be your narrator on this odd adventure.

I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom, it's new and challenging, but very rewarding! We're new residents to Michigan and live just outside of Detroit. It's been quite a change, living 2,000 miles away from our entire families, but in many ways it's been worth the distance.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z6tBt6]

https://flic.kr/p/Z6tBt6
https://flic.kr/p/Z6tBt6

This is DH, his name is Guido, yes, really. He works for a start up company that does estate sales. He's also a web developer and works in identity branding, he's also a musician. He's a very busy guy, and that how he likes it. One thing about DH, he's very introverted and has serious anxiety. We do our best to accommodate his anxiety, but since DD and I are the farthest thing from introverted or anxious, it's not always a simple task.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z6uvkn] [url=https://flic.kr/p/Z2hpp7] [url=https://flic.kr/p/Y5krF2]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z2hpp7][url=https://flic.kr/p/Y5krF2][/url][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Z2hpp7][url=https://flic.kr/p/Y5krF2][/url][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Z2hpp7][url=https://flic.kr/p/Y5krF2]
The star of this show is my DD, Elora Darling. I've totally corrupted her mind and she is a Disney girl, through and through. Unlike me she is a very girly little lady; dress up, make-up and anything princess are her favorite things.

Also along for this trip are my mom, sister and sis’s boyfriend. My in-laws, nephew and my dad’s family were scheduled to come as well, but things changed, and they always seem to when I plan a trip to a Disney World, lol!
[/url][/url][/url][/url]

Let’s Dive Right In

This trip was scheduled from September 5-September 12. DD’s 3rd birthday was actually September 2nd. Since we were planning this big celebration in WDW, we opted for a low key dinner and cupcakes on the actual day.

Well, life showed up and DH was sick as a dog. He came home early from work, which he never does, and slept on the couch for hours. Poor man slept through dinner, cupcakes and gifts! On top of that Irma was lurking in the Atlantic. Being from South Florida we were sure she'd be no trouble at all…

Surrounded by, acting like, same thing.

I was considering cancelling the trip, but DH was clear that there was no way he'd be able to take a vacation like this for at least a year. Plus, DD was so excited, it would have been disaster to explain to her we weren’t going. So, we were officially a Disney or Bust, come illness or hurricanes we would have a fun time in a Disney!

Tuesday the 5th came upon us pretty fast! DH was feeling better and since he’d be quarantined no one else got whatever he’d had. Three healthy people boarded a plane, unsure what weather would await us, but determined to have a good time.

This was DD’s very first flight, and I was a mess that it’d be a bad one; what can I say, I worry. I put together a special little back pack for DD, full of stuff she'd never seen before. She loved it! Especially the stationary set inside, specifically the little scissors… well, she was so happy with her back pack, she really was not impressed that we were flying. Like not at all.

Ok, fine kid, next time I’m taking the window seat. The plane change was a challenge, DD didn't want to get back in, nor did DH. He was already bugging me, not a great start. Thankfully both our flights were very smooth and we arrived a little earlier than expected! By the time we got off the second plane, DH was a mess. Something clicked when we were waiting for the stroller and he went into a full blown anxiety attack. We found a quiet spot and gathered ourselves. Then he realized he hadn't taken his medicine that morning…

We grabbed a snack, he took his meds and we headed to the ME!

We walked up, scanned my band and were immediately ushered to our bus! DH found a DSA while DD and I boarded the bus. We started chatting to the driver a bit. She was very friendly. DD said we were visiting Mickey for her birthday, so the driver said we could sit in the front row! Yay! DH arrived at the bus, the doors shut and we were on our way! WL was the first stop! I was super excited at this point, even just knowing I wasn't going to wash dishes for a week was enough for me to be pumped about, lol!

Bus ride was smooth, no troubles. We checked in with a CM named Rocky, she was adorable. Rocky gave Elora her birthday button, which she refused to wear, as well as 2 birthday balloons! DD was loving all the attention. Rocky mentioned we also had a letter waiting for us… it was a birthday note from Elena of Avalor! Elora was floored. It's those little touches that really make Disney just the best.
We made it up to our room without a problem. In the way we stopped to purchase two refillable mugs. DH couldn't believe that we could refill them the entire trip. It was hilarious, how excited he got at the idea of unlimited coffee. When we made it to our room, with our awesome view, DH said he needed some time to decompress, totally fine since I’d planned to take DD down to the pool.

When we got there I wanted to grab a drink, but DH wasn't returning any of my texts, so DD just played in the splash area while I chatted to a few moms in the area.

Eventually DH came down, he looked stressed. Turns out in the time it took us to fly from Michigan he had three new projects to work on! I guess he chose to check emails while he settled in…? Oye vey. We chatted and I tried to be clear that we were on vacation, and while he would have some time to work this was family time. Mmhmm, the man is a workaholic.
We went back upstairs and our bags had arrived! DD took a bath while I unpacked our stuff. After her bath, DH dressed DD and sat her on the bed; we had a little surprise for her. A few months prior I’d made this little Wish box for her. I wanted to incorporate it into a few gifts for her, but it's so little I wasn't sure how. So I came up with Tinker Trading! I brought along some things Tinker Belle would find useful: a thimble, a spool of thread, a small acorn, a penny, a safety pin, etc. The trade was that we would leave Tink a trinket and maybe Tink would leave us a small treat! Guido and E left Tink a little something and we all ventured out to grab some food.
Oops, I forgot my mug, meet you guys down there! Buahahaha!
We grabbed some food to eat in the room; pizza for Elora, Gourmet grilled cheese for me and the pulled pork sandwich for daddy. When we got back to the room Elora was super surprised to see that not only had Tinker Belle trader her some super cute Ariel pajamas, but Mickey had also paid us a visit and left us a welcome note!

upload_2017-10-3_11-7-37.png

Elora was way too excited to eat, but DH and I dug in! It'd been way too long since we'd had a real meal. We took turns showering, and getting ready for bed. DD was going a mile a minute, and since DH had so much work to do there was no slowing her down; lights on, click-clicking of the keyboard, DH had to go.
About 40 seconds after Guido left Elor awas asleep, I was asleep soon after her. I have no idea what time DH came back, but he must have slept some cause the next morning when I woke him at 7 AM he was rested!

Up Next Our First Park Day!

Following! The tinker trading is such a cute idea and I love the letter from Mickey. Can't wait to hear more.

I'm having some issues with quoting on the Dis, it seems. In any case, I'm glad the travel day went fairly smoothly. Now if you can just get your DH to stop checking work e-mails for a while!

Following along! :wave2:

Yay! :welcome:

Following! The tinker trading is such a cute idea and I love the letter from Mickey. Can't wait to hear more.

Hi! :welcome:

That was a great little thing. We did it almost every night and E loved it.

Following along too!

Hello and :welcome:

I'm having some issues with quoting on the Dis, it seems. In any case, I'm glad the travel day went fairly smoothly. Now if you can just get your DH to stop checking work e-mails for a while!

Hey Andy! :welcome:The quoting might be my fault, haven’t totally masted the Flickr yet. Seems like some of the text is actually attached to the link to the photos... yeah, he never stopped. It was kinda terrible and we fought about it, unfortunately. But once mom and sis arrived I kinda just let him do his thing and had fun with them, as you will see!

So Cute!

I was considering cancelling the trip, but DH was clear that there was no way he'd be able to take a vacation like this for at least a year. Plus, DD was so excited, it would have been disaster to explain to her we weren’t going.
This was my fear too! How do you tell your kid sorry, a hurricane has better plans... Glad it worked out!

I was super excited at this point, even just knowing I wasn't going to wash dishes for a week was enough for me to be pumped about, lol!
I get excited about this too! It is sooooo nice to not have to cook or clean ANY dishes (or laundry).

little I wasn't sure how. So I came up with Tinker Trading! I brought along some things Tinker Belle would find useful: a thimble, a spool of thread, a small acorn, a penny, a safety pin, etc. The trade was that we would leave Tink a trinket and maybe Tink would leave us a small treat! Guido and E left Tink a little something and we all ventured out to grab some food.
OMG!!! How did you not tell us about this?!?! (or did you? and I completely missed it?!?!) I LOVE this idea!!!! I might need to do this next time!

Oops, I forgot my mug, meet you guys down there! Buahahaha!
Ha! I have done that move a couple times!

to the room Elora was super surprised to see that not only had Tinker Belle trader her some super cute Ariel pajamas, but Mickey had also paid us a visit and left us a welcome note!
Love it! double thumbs up for the pjs on the first day!

Can't wait to hear all about the trip! I guess this means I need to start mine.

So Cute!

Thank you, and hi! Glad to have you along!

This was my fear too! How do you tell your kid sorry, a hurricane has better plans... Glad it worked out!

Right?! And we had just pumped her up: countdown, no big celebration on her actual birthday, all kinds of crafts and packing help. She would never have understood.

I get excited about this too! It is sooooo nice to not have to cook or clean ANY dishes (or laundry).

It’s hinestly my only negative to DVC. I know DH would want to use a kitchenette and that would mean I’d clean it up. Plus there isn’t housekeeping every day! I mean, I’m a stay at home mom, like 50% of my job is chores and errands!

OMG!!! How did you not tell us about this?!?! (or did you? and I completely missed it?!?!) I LOVE this idea!!!! I might need to do this next time!

Honestly, I’m not even sure I did! I may have only posted in the September planning group. Here’s a pic:

12DDD5E6-C286-42B3-A353-2C6CABC6DFFC.jpeg

Sorry it’s giant, I’m on the tablet. I used a treasure box that had this pirate treasure activity inside it. Got it in the dollar section at Target. Elora helps me make it actually. That’s all the stuff we “traded” she LOVED deciding what Tink would like to have.

Ha! I have done that move a couple times!

It was the only way! DD was not into being with just daddy. He even offered to get her a cupcake, which may have happened any way, but she was like not having it. Mama’s girl.

Love it! double thumbs up for the pjs on the first day!

This will totally be a tradition for us now too. E loved the jammies, and they are a great, inexpensive and useful gift.

Can't wait to hear all about the trip! I guess this means I need to start mine.

Glad you’re here! And take your time! I’ve been home for almost a month...

Your trip title caught eye and I knew I wanted to hear about your trip. I also love the Wilderness Lodge and will love to hear how you rode out the storm. :)

Tinker Trading is a brilliant idea. I bet you forgot a lot of things in your room on that trip. ;)

I'm here! But I need to run for a bit, so I will be back to read the first installment and reply.

:welcome: And take your time! I wanna rag this out as long as I can; no trip in sight!

Your trip title caught eye and I knew I wanted to hear about your trip.

This was QUITE a memorable trip, lol!

I also love the Wilderness Lodge and will love to hear how you rode out the storm. :)

I won’t share too much yet, but I’ll say I’ve been through many storms, this was the most comfortable.

Tinker Trading is a brilliant idea. I bet you forgot a lot of things in your room on that trip. ;)

I just could not hold onto that mug! Lol! We usually “traded” at night so I’d set up early morning, or after DD was asleep. She really loved doing it!

Well, life showed up and DH was sick as a dog. He came home early from work, which he never does, and slept on the couch for hours. Poor man slept through dinner, cupcakes and gifts!
Oh no! I remember we all, or at least some, of us got sick a couple weeks before our trip.

:rotfl2:

Tuesday the 5th came upon us pretty fast! DH was feeling better and since he’d be quarantined no one else got whatever he’d had.
Good!

Ok, fine kid, next time I’m taking the window seat.
:rotfl:

By the time we got off the second plane, DH was a mess. Something clicked when we were waiting for the stroller and he went into a full blown anxiety attack. We found a quiet spot and gathered ourselves. Then he realized he hadn't taken his medicine that morning…
Oh no! I've been guilty of that before...actually today!

DH arrived at the bus, the doors shut and we were on our way! WL was the first stop! I was super excited at this point, even just knowing I wasn't going to wash dishes for a week was enough for me to be pumped about, lol!
Wahoo!

When we got there I wanted to grab a drink, but DH wasn't returning any of my texts, so DD just played in the splash area while I chatted to a few moms in the area.
No pool drinks?? Bad DH...lol.

Eventually DH came down, he looked stressed. Turns out in the time it took us to fly from Michigan he had three new projects to work on! I guess he chose to check emails while he settled in…? Oye vey. We chatted and I tried to be clear that we were on vacation, and while he would have some time to work this was family time. Mmhmm, the man is a workaholic.
Glad you said something.

We grabbed some food to eat in the room; pizza for Elora, Gourmet grilled cheese for me and the pulled pork sandwich for daddy.
I love grilled cheese...plain, gourmet...how was it? I'll make sure to get one next trip. Roaring Fork, I presume?

When we got back to the room Elora was super surprised to see that not only had Tinker Belle trader her some super cute Ariel pajamas, but Mickey had also paid us a visit and left us a welcome note!

upload_2017-10-3_11-7-37-png.274387
So fun! I wonder if I did that this trip, because I did not the previous trips, would they buy it?

Up Next Our First Park Day!
Yay!

Following along!

I love the trading and the letter. So much fun!

:welcome:

Thank you! She really liked it and I liked that she wasn’t just getting gifts from Tink caus we were in a Disney World.

Oh no! I remember we all, or at least some, of us got sick a couple weeks before our trip.

I was so worried, and I have the saddest video of DD’s birthday of just me singing and him snoring back in background. I guess better before than while we’re there right?

:rotfl2:

It’s like a thing in Miami, we don’t prep for impending storms, like idiots. And I have always judge folks who didn’t prep, and then I flew there for a hurricane! Ugh! Lol!

Oh no! I've been guilty of that before...actually today!

It’s always troublesome when he forgets, as I’m sure you know!

No pool drinks?? Bad DH...lol.

Right?!

Glad you said something.

It, unfortunately, did not change much, but I’m glad I spoke my mind.

I love grilled cheese...plain, gourmet...how was it? I'll make sure to get one next trip. Roaring Fork, I presume?

It was! And yes from Roaring Fork, we never made it out to Gyeser Point, actually. It was two cheeses, arugula, tomato and maybe a mayo? Super yummy.

So fun! I wonder if I did that this trip, because I did not the previous trips, would they buy it?

Maybe do it to welcome you guys to DVC? I referred to the letter a few times if her behavior was less than magical. Three has been a challenge since day one...o_O

Yay!

If I ever post the darn thing.:blush:

Following

:welcome:

The Tinker Trade was a brilliant idea. Very creative and fun! Thanks, I'll definitely use that idea.

Thank you! I hope you do use it, we had good results with both. I used the letter a few times to correct some unsavory behavior, just reminding her that Mickey said to take it slow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!