DVCers who cook in the suite: What is your packing list?

PasadenaJacket

Earning My Ears
DVC'ers with a kitchen or kitchenette, I should say. I’m actually surprised at how well equipped the Disney in-suite kitchens are. There seems to be enough to make a good meal. To really make it fun and easy for me, however, I bring the following.

If I am ...

Flying

• Probe thermometers, 3 (we cook steak in batches, and I have to cook to three different levels of doneness)
  • Chef’s knife (sharper and heavier than the suite one)
  • Kosher salt
  • Dry herbs that I try and use quickly at home so they don’t go bad (I’m looking at you, thyme)
  • Pepper mill
  • Heavy duty aluminum foil (line broiler pans so I don’t have to wash as much)
  • Potato masher

Driving

• Above, plus
  • Salad spinner
  • Mandolin slicer
  • Good olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar
  • Rice cooker or steamer (I know, takes up space, but super helpful)
  • Cooler with butter, milk, juice, lunch meats, condiments, veggies, and maybe some marinating meats
  • Plastic wrap and/or sandwich bags
  • Wine

I know I can drive to a grocery for a lot of this, but if I can keep the list short, that’s more time I can spend on vacation. VGC, our home resort, is only and hour away, so if I have the space I come pretty well set up.

I bring a pair of kid's scissors (the blade is short enough to go through security) to open those plastic bags and salt and pepper.

The only kitchen tools I bring is a chefs knife and pairing knife. I typically scratch cook at least 1 meal a day on our trips and I have never needed something that wasn’t there (or couldn’t work around) but the knives are terrible- so I have to bring those.

We drive so I often bring all of our groceries for the week with us so we don’t need to waste vacation time shopping or pay twice the price for delivery services.
Typical basics that get me a breakfast almost every day and a few dinners: milk, half n half, gallons of water ( can’t stand Florida tap), beer and wine ( of course). Coffee, salt, pepper, cinnamon, Italian herb blend, garlic powder, honey, olive oil, canned tomatoes, canned beans, fresh veggies, fresh fruit, tortillas, bread, chicken breast, ground turkey,self rising flour, butter, 2dz eggs, bacon, pasta, yogurt, cereal, cheese, and a few snacks.

Do an inventory of the kitchen items when you arrive. We typically are missing a thing or three that should be there but is not. HK is always on the spot pretty quickly with any of those items. BTW I like your packing list, but why is wine the last item;)?

We used to cook much more before than we do now. I guess I was more ambitious then! :blush: I do order groceries, but not anything more than needs to be put in the oven like Stouffer’s mac/cheese (at home I enjoy making it from scratch). We occasionally get a spiral ham or turkey breast, but usually only when we have a bigger group with us. But I always remember to pack a pizza cutter because I’ve never found one in any of the DVC units! :confused3 Also salt/pepper, coffee creamer (flavored - powdered) and some packs of hot cocoa and tea.

We usually just get som frozen pizza and some bag Caesar salad. We get thin BBQ chicken pizza, plain and pepperoni. We save money and time.

We have also done raviolis with some frozen garlic bread, plus salad.

We also will order fresh fruit bowls, bananas and strawberries from GG to keep us healthy.

I cook from scratch at home but it’s vacation. Love the convenience of the full kitchen makes breakfast cheaper and leisurely!

We used to cook much more before than we do now. I guess I was more ambitious then! :blush: I do order groceries, but not anything more than needs to be put in the oven like Stouffer’s mac/cheese (at home I enjoy making it from scratch). We occasionally get a spiral ham or turkey breast, but usually only when we have a bigger group with us. But I always remember to pack a pizza cutter because I’ve never found one in any of the DVC units! :confused3 Also salt/pepper, coffee creamer (flavored - powdered) and some packs of hot cocoa and tea.

Pizza cutter is a great idea.

we just bring food. we have made steaks, beef wellington, lasagna, etc without the need for any additional kitchen supplies.

We cook sometimes but I keep the meals simple. I overpack in every other aspect of the trip. I couldnt possible start overpacking for the kitchen too...lol...my husband would pass out. lol! :D :D :D

I love my French Press and the Hamilton Beach Sandwich maker. The sandwich maker creates a perfect sandwich to run out the door with and eat on the way to the bus.
I also bring tin foil to make clean up easy when we cook. And the IKEA wine opener, because it works so much better than any other cork screw.

I'm thisclose to convincing my husband to just get an Owner's Locker so I don't have to bring these things back and forth. It would require buying a second of everything, but it would help to cut down on pounds when I'm packing.

I love my French Press and the Hamilton Beach Sandwich maker. The sandwich maker creates a perfect sandwich to run out the door with and eat on the way to the bus.
I also bring tin foil to make clean up easy when we cook. And the IKEA wine opener, because it works so much better than any other cork screw.

I'm thisclose to convincing my husband to just get an Owner's Locker so I don't have to bring these things back and forth. It would require buying a second of everything, but it would help to cut down on pounds when I'm packing.
I'm a relatively new owner and keep going back and forth on Owner's Locker. I could see putting a waffle iron and kitchen shears and things like sweatshirts and ponchos as well; just not sure it's justified by the cost if we can check bags for free. If you have to pay to check bags, then I think it's a no brainer. (also thinking about a little electric griddle or crock pot if in a kitchenette...)

Pizza cutter is a great idea.

Kitchen shears do everything! (but have to pack in checked luggage)

I'm a relatively new owner and keep going back and forth on Owner's Locker. I could see putting a waffle iron and kitchen shears and things like sweatshirts and ponchos as well; just not sure it's justified by the cost if we can check bags for free. If you have to pay to check bags, then I think it's a no brainer. (also thinking about a little electric griddle or crock pot if in a kitchenette...)

We fly SW and don't pay for bags but have had an Owner's locker for about 9yrs. It's a convenience that I enjoy having. I like not having to think about packing any toiletries whatsoever because they're all in the box. Along with the ponchos, otc medicines, phone chargers, flip flops, full size beach towels, a brita slim pitcher and a mini keurig and a whole bunch of other things. A year's storage is less than one sit down dinner at WDW for us.

If we do plan to cook in the suite it is usually either on a grill or I bring a crock pot. I put it in a carry on and usually put bathing suits and stuff inside and wrap it in a towel. I also use the seasoning packets by McComick when there. Makes life simpler.

I am married to a chef so we eat many meals on our vacation. We always bring our air fryer and a wine bottle opener (the one in the room stinks). I make a run to the super target, when we get to Orlando, and I stock up on everything we need. I like someone’s post about a French press - great idea! We are going in two months so I am going to steal that idea because my Keurig is too bulky to bring :(

We'll be staying at SSR for 6 days the end of May in a 2 bedroom with 6 persons. We just bought into the DVC last fall so this will be our 1st extended stay. Can anyone advise what kitchen supplies are available such as # of plates/silverware, pots/pans, and perhaps a casserole dish or two. I assume we will have to keep our own supply of paper towels. Also, does Saratoga Springs have BBQ's that run on gas or charcoal? Thanks for the help.

We usually stay in a one bedroom with 5, and there are plenty of plates. I would recommend bringing or buying a small pack of dishwasher detergent (I.e cascade packets). They do give you some dishwashing packets, but I always need more. There are at least two rolls of papertowels but I bring extra. There are pots, pans, chef knife, cutting board, silverware, casserole dish, mixing bowl, Tupperware, wine glasses, ice trays....everything you could need. There is a coffee maker but they never give you enough coffee for your entire stay unless you pay extra for more coffee. The list is different in rooms with one/two bedroom vs a studio. I am sure there is a list somewhere in a thread I have seen before. I have never stayed at Saratoga so I am not sure about a bbq.

We usually stay in a one bedroom with 5, and there are plenty of plates. I would recommend bringing or buying a small pack of dishwasher detergent (I.e cascade packets). They do give you some dishwashing packets, but I always need more. There are at least two rolls of papertowels but I bring extra. There are pots, pans, chef knife, cutting board, silverware, casserole dish, mixing bowl, Tupperware, wine glasses, ice trays....everything you could need. There is a coffee maker but they never give you enough coffee for your entire stay unless you pay extra for more coffee. The list is different in rooms with one/two bedroom vs a studio. I am sure there is a list somewhere in a thread I have seen before. I have never stayed at Saratoga so I am not sure about a bbq.

Thanks so much for responding back to my question about amenities. It sounds like I won't have to bring as many items I was thinking of. We will have 3 kids under 8 so planning a few breakfasts in the room as well as a dinner or 2 will stretch our dollar a bit further. Thanks again Littletylersmom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!