DVC trip cancelled - without any notification

The DVC website indicated they would be doing it week to week, automatically

Just curious,....Is there a reason you feel an email, in addition to the removal from your dashboard is needed?

Are they assuming I’m going to piece together the point instructions from dosboards? Because the website is less than clear. And yes - I think an email advising me that a reservation has been cancelled and here is what happens with points is an entirely reasonable expectation.

The DVC website indicated they would be doing it week to week, automatically

Just curious,....Is there a reason you feel an email, in addition to the removal from your dashboard is needed?

Maybe it’s because I’m on a mobile device but I can’t actually find anything on their website about what happens with points that were banked from a prior year, borrowed etc. I shouldn’t have to dig around and use third party sources to figure this out.

Maybe it’s because I’m on a mobile device but I can’t actually find anything on their website about what happens with points that were banked from a prior year, borrowed etc. I shouldn’t have to dig around and use third party sources to figure this out.

They sent out an email on April 24th to members that had all the information in it. Sounds like you didn’t get that one?

It is also on the websites front page. But, depending on your UY, will depend on banked points,

Borrowed points are being returned, April and June UY 2018 points will be extended for 6 months from expiration...to October 1st for April and Dec 1st for June..and will be eligible for use June 5th by calling MS to use them. They won’t be online

If you have any other UY using banked 2018 UY points, those will expire as usual.

If you have 2019 points beyond their banking window, they will be returned. April and June UY by June 5th...Aug UY no one knows,,,Sept UY and beyond are still within their banking windows so no exception needed.

They sent out an email on April 24th to members that had all the information in it. Sounds like you didn’t get that one?

It is also on the websites front page. But, depending on your UY, will depend on banked points,

Borrowed points are being returned, April and June UY 2018 points will be extended for 6 months from expiration...to October 1st for April and Dec 1st for June..and will be eligible for use June 5th by calling MS to use them. They won’t be online

If you have any other UY using banked 2018 UY points, those will expire as usual.

If you have 2019 points beyond their banking window, they will be returned. April and June UY by June 5th...Aug UY no one knows,,,Sept UY and beyond are still within their banking windows so no exception needed.
Thanks - I know the info from reading disboards. I want to have it from the official sources and be able to easily verify on their website, which is not happening.

Sept UY is also past banking window. (and I have a reservation starting June 7 that is past holding window if they decide to open resorts but not parks. Hoping can slide it a few weeks if needed.)

Bruce

Sept UY is also past banking window. (and I have a reservation starting June 7 that is past holding window if they decide to open resorts but not parks. Hoping can slide it a few weeks if needed.)

Bruce

Yes, it is..my mistake, I think I was thinking about the message that when it came out April 24th they were not and it mentioned following regular banking,

So, you are right, we don’t know what they will do if someone didn’t cancel with Sept UY!

Are DVC rooms being canceled for the same dates as cash rooms?

DVC is behind where Disney is in terms of cancelations. DVC only does it Monday to Friday and week by week, So today, they would be canceling trips starting around May14th at the latest,

OP, are you saying that your trip was cancelled just a few days before your arrival date? With no notification? Ok, that just isn't right, I'm sorry. But I don't pack last minute for a Disney vacation and while I understand they don't know exactly when they are going to open, surely they know at least more than 3 days before they are opening! I will be very upset if I don't know that my upcoming trip is cancelled until a couple days beforehand.

OP, are you saying that your trip was cancelled just a few days before your arrival date? With no notification? Ok, that just isn't right, I'm sorry. But I don't pack last minute for a Disney vacation and while I understand they don't know exactly when they are going to open, surely they know at least more than 3 days before they are opening! I will be very upset if I don't know that my upcoming trip is cancelled until a couple days beforehand.

For DVC, that is the policy that has been in place since this began, Members can cancel on their own or let DVC do it week by week.

If you have an upcoming trip in May, and want to have it cancelEd more than at most 7 days ahead of time, you may wan to give MS a call and initiate it. Many members have done that as park hours have been eliminated from the schedule.

Try looking under NOTIFICATIONS on your main MY DVC screen

7 days is fine, but OP said "a few days" so I'm thinking that means 3? That's cutting it a little close! I don't want to cancel my trip but I also don't want to pack just to unpack. Give me at least a week's notice for goodness sake!

So what days of the week are they canceling? Like if I have a Saturday arrival, am I not going to know until the Monday of that week? And what if they closed for part of my reservation but it's not determined if they will be for some of the days? Will they just cancel everything?

Our vacation is in June and now I see what you mean that all of May has been wiped out for park hours. I just don't think this trip is going to happen. If I see a single day in June cleared off the Disney schedule, I'm bailing.

What a mess!

Last edited:
7 days is fine, but OP said "a few days" so I'm thinking that means 3? That's cutting it a little close! I don't want to cancel my trip but I also don't want to pack just to unpack. Give me at least a week's notice for goodness sake!

So what days of the week are they canceling? Like if I have a Saturday arrival, am I not going to know until the Monday of that week? And what if they closed for part of my reservation but it's not determined if they will be for some of the days? Will they just cancel everything?

Our vacation is in June and now I see what you mean that all of May has been wiped out for park hours. I just don't think this trip is going to happen. If I see a single day in June cleared off the Disney schedule, I'm bailing.

What a mess!

Monday to Friday is when DVC is doing the cancelLatinos So, any trips starting on a Saturday would be canceled at the earliest on Monday...so no more than 5 days early.

However, I do believe that when DVC or Disney announces resorts will open, they will give at least a weeks notice of the date..just Because CMs will be called back and that info will be out there.

The DVC notices said reservations would be automatically cancelled about a week before scheduled arrival date. I wonder if this is mainly a system issue. The computer system is likely set up to automatically send confirmations of reservations, cancellations, and modifications made by members, but probably is not set up to automatically do anything if DVC cancels reservations, so sending out notices when DVC does so may take the additional step of a human being doing something on each cancelled reservation.

My reservation was also canceled without email notification at 4 days prior to check-in. I've said before that it's simply terrible customer service to wait so long (a couple of weeks prior like the other resorts would be fine) and a notification should be mandatory. I also want the points handling policy in that email, not in a notice on the web site where it can change or be revoked at any time. Having the email is a record of what should happen with my points in the reservation.. in case that doesn't happen, then I have some recourse about getting it fixed.

It's obvious they are canceling reservations manually. Why else would it be inconsistent? And whenever you do something like this manually... mistakes get made.

My reservation was also canceled without email notification at 4 days prior to check-in. I've said before that it's simply terrible customer service to wait so long (a couple of weeks prior like the other resorts would be fine) and a notification should be mandatory. I also want the points handling policy in that email, not in a notice on the web site where it can change or be revoked at any time. Having the email is a record of what should happen with my points in the reservation.. in case that doesn't happen, then I have some recourse about getting it fixed.

It's obvious they are canceling reservations manually. Why else would it be inconsistent? And whenever you do something like this manually... mistakes get made.

The reservation being cancelled is hardly a surprise, everyone knows it's happening. Your membership account is updated to reflect what is happening to your points. If you need anything more... whats stopping you from sending them an email? I get why you would be disappointed in having your vacation plans interrupted by Covid, but it"s hardly Disney's fault. I think your criticism of Disney is unreasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter