Dvc transfer rules

stephk1981

DIS Veteran
I have been reading the transfer rules....but just want to make sure. If I had someone transfer points into my 2019 use year, then I banked them to my 2020UY.......Can I still have someone transfer points I to my 2020 UY? Does it have to be after my Feb. 2020 UY begins?
Thank you!!

Yes, you can received 2020 UY points for transfer. No, it can be any month use year. Since yours is February, anything you transfer from 2020UY will be February or after.

Just remember that you cannot borrow transferred points. So if you get May 2020 points, you can't use them before May 2020.

The stated rule is that you are allowed to do one transfer (in or out) per use year and transferred points can thereafter be banked but not borrowed.. You can do up to two transfers at any given time, one for the use year you are in and one for the next use year.

As a DVC Owner, is it quicker/safer to come to an agreement with a fellow DVC Owner on Transfer price per point and then get that done vs renting out points/having to book reservations and wait for the Renter to go use and hope they don't set the place on fire, etc?

As a DVC Owner, is it quicker/safer to come to an agreement with a fellow DVC Owner on Transfer price per point and then get that done vs renting out points/having to book reservations and wait for the Renter to go use and hope they don't set the place on fire, etc?

Transfer is the simpler transaction as opposed to the point-holder making reservation for another. But it is often not the easier transaction to find, negotiate, and complete.

The rental brokers usually deal in rentals not transfers so for a transfer you need to find an individual owner. The issue you can often have with a transfer is finding number of points you want. With a rental, you get charged for exactly the number of points the rental requires. Moreover, the owner can do multiple rentals in a use year and thus has no controlling, single-transaction rule to worry about.

The one transfer per use year rule can render it difficult to find the transfer you want. You can do only one transfer so you must get at least the total points you need for your reservation in one transaction. That means you likely cannot deal with owners offering to transfer fewer points than you need. Moreover, those owners offering more points in transfer than you need are usually not willing to decrease the number they are offering because they are trying to relinquish that set amount points in one transaction since they cannot do a second transaction for any points left over. Those issues coupled with the fact that the brokers usually do not deal in transfers can often make it more difficult to find a transfer you need than to find a rental.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!