DVC Resorts with the best studios?

tarheelalum

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if some of you who have stayed in a few DVC studios could rate them based on:

1. Up keep of the room
2. Size of the room
3. Food options at the resort
4. Transportation options at the resort

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this. Initially I was looking into renting points at a resort just to save money but the more I've researched it the more I'm interested in the quality of the overall experience. Money and availability are still a consideration but I want my wife to really enjoy the place we stay and nobody knows better than all of you who stay there all the time.

I don't have an answer just interested in the responses others have.

I’ve stayed in many of the studios. Here goes..,

Love AKL Kidani. Recently renovated, fantastic resort. Great, low point chart. Bus transportation is on point.

OKW. Just renovated. Very fresh. Laid back resort. Love it, but some people find it isn’t themed enough. I’d disagree. Nice boat to the Springs.

Boardwalk Villas. Recently renovated. Fantastic location. Bright, airy, very clean. A go to for us.

Grand Floridian. Lovely studios. High points.

Polynesian. Would not stay here again. Lovely resort, but found housekeeping lacking. Low ceilings made room feel closed in. Most notably, the washroom with the shower was damp and smelly. I couldn’t use it. Deal breaker right there. Higher points.

BLT. Love it. Great location. Great staff. Beautiful views of the lake. Small studios, but I was okay with that. Higher point chart but not outrageous.

Saratoga. Would not book there until post renovation at which time I think it will be lovely. Major maintenance issues right now.

Can’t comment on the others.

Literally, condition of a unit in a resort is unit to unit. Two units in the same hallway can be markedly different based on how occupants have treated them. There are some beat-up units at Saratoga right now, but there are some pristine units. Same is true everywhere.

Last edited:

Polynesian. Would not stay here again. Lovely resort, but found housekeeping lacking. Low ceilings made room feel closed in. Most notably, the washroom with the shower was damp and smelly. I couldn’t use it. Deal breaker right there. Higher points.

That is disappointing to hear. I was kind of warming up to the idea of staying at the Polynesian.

Our favorites have been the Poly - love the extra bathroom - and Old Key West for sheer studio size and low point cost. We also love that resort though and know it’s not for everyone. We’ve stayed recently at a BWV studio, but those are kind of small depending on party make up and size. I’ve done and OKW studio with 3 adult women, and we had plenty of space for ourselves and our stuff.

The only downside to the Poly studios in my opinion is the noise from the ferry boat and MK fireworks. If you are a light sleeper it may not be for you. We had a noise machine for our son and he seemed completely unaffected. My husband and I were so tired that it didn’t really bother us either. I have no idea if this is a problem at Bay Lake or GF bc I’ve never stayed there. I stayed at the regular GF...but my that was way back in 1998 when I was 14 and could probably sleep through anything!

We have had two Poly studio stays and felt the experience was superb! I think the above post that said things vary from unit to unit is truest!

Whew! Thanks so much, Bobbi. I have a Poly stay coming up, first time at a monorail resort, and I was really excited until I read some of the above posts.
But I read that someone loved Kidani, yet I had housekeeping issues there (first time I've called Member Services during a stay). Personally, I like BCV studios, except that I wish the vanities had dual sinks-even the value studios at AKV-Jambo have dual sinks!

Whew! Thanks so much, Bobbi. I have a Poly stay coming up, first time at a monorail resort, and I was really excited until I read some of the above posts.
But I read that someone loved Kidani, yet I had housekeeping issues there (first time I've called Member Services during a stay). Personally, I like BCV studios, except that I wish the vanities had dual sinks-even the value studios at AKV-Jambo have dual sinks!
Jambo House villas are renovated hotel rooms. I'd like to bet they didn't even touch the bathrooms of the studios. All the earlier studios, BVW, OKW, SSR, BCV all have a single sink in the studio bathroom.

OKW hands down for size ... love that it has 2 queen beds. Cannot comment on transportation because we've had our own vehicle there. We LOVED the Poly studio. Having the extra sink/shower was awesome for a family of 4. And the size of the room, and the main bathroom was awesome. Loved the proximity to MK, and the ease to get to EPCOT. Fireworks from the beach and Dole Whip floats were just a fantastic bonus ! We are partial to BCV because that's where we own ... lots of great access to food, and EPCOT and DHS. Service at the CS by the pool was brutal, but it was summer, so kind of expected. AKL Kidani is one of our favourites, although the studios are pretty small. Verandahs were a good size though. Definite downside to food there, but the feeling as you stand at the top of the slide and look around at nothing but grassland makes you feel like you are nowhere near busy theme parks. It's so incredibly relaxing and we've been fortunate to have Savannah view a few times. We find the bus service at Kidani to be great. It's unfortunate that it doesn't have other "transportation bonuses" like at Poly or BCV. If you're looking for something different, AKL is great.

PVB rooms are the largest in DVC, but a lot is taken up by the second shower room. OKW have more living space area and 2 real beds. PVB is great, love the views, the theming of the rooms. Didn’t like the horns from the boats in the morning. If you have a ground floor room you might get a visitor or two.

65F12E1F-B9F5-43E6-A814-E181C955500C.png

Last edited:
PVB rooms are the largest in DVC, but a lot is taken up by the second shower room. OKW have more living space area and 2 real beds. PVB is great, love the views, the theming of the rooms. Didn’t like the horns from the boats in the morning. If you have a ground floor room you might get a visitor or two.

View attachment 405782

How did you like the dining options at the Poly?

VGF - not the largest room but it's not the smallest either and good dining at the resort. Split bathroom so 2 showers, 1 sink and 1 toilet. Check in and concierge in the villas lobby. Spa and workout facilities just across the driveway. Pool and pool bar with some food just right off the villas wing. Transporation is monorail or small boat to MK, Monorail via transfer at TTC to Epcot and bus to everywhere else. It's all ok, nothing outstanding. Also a short walk over to Poly for dining or a monorail ride over to CR for dining.

PVB - a little larger rooms than VGF. Darker decor. Split bathroom with 2 showers, 2 sinks and 1 toilet. Dining is ok and it's a short walk or monorail ride to GF and CR for other options. Dole Whip bar is a plus. ;)

My other favorite resort heavy stay location is AKV Jambo. Good dining options, nice pool and the animal viewing. The studios match up to most DVC studios - ie, different decor but similar layout so no particular plus or minus there. Transporation is all buses but they are dedicated to the 2 AKV buildings and don't share with anyone else.

Consistently sized balconies at all these resorts which I find important.

How did you like the dining options at the Poly?
We ate dinner at the Kona Cafe and we all enjoyed the meal, the server was one of the best we have had at WDW. I just looked at the menu and it has changed a lot since we were there about 2 years ago. We had the sticky wings and they are gone now, but they were so good. I can’t believe they got rid of them. The new menu does not look as good as the old one, but I am a picky eater. We didn’t try Captain Cooks, but the menu looks good. Then we had breakfast at Ohana, it is family style. The breakfast was good along with the characters, I personally think all character meals are overpriced. We probably do one character meal per trip. We enjoyed getting Dole whip adult beverages.

Polynesian is my favorite for studios. It would probably be my favorite resort if they had one bedroom units.

Worth noting as well...staying at Poly means walking what feels like 17 miles to/from the main building every time you need to take the monorail. We found it was quicker to walk to the TTC than the Poly main building. Not ideal how far out the DVC building was placed.

Worth noting as well...staying at Poly means walking what feels like 17 miles to/from the main building every time you need to take the monorail. We found it was quicker to walk to the TTC than the Poly main building. Not ideal how far out the DVC building was placed.

When Disney converted 3 longhouses to DVC, they converted the 3 longhouses built in the mid-70s. These featured bigger units and a different construction style than the original longhouses (1972). So it wasn't really an active choice on "how far out" the DVC longhouses were. They really only could convert those 3 reasonably.

When Disney converted 3 longhouses to DVC, they converted the 3 longhouses built in the mid-70s. These featured bigger units and a different construction style than the original longhouses (1972). So it wasn't really an active choice on "how far out" the DVC longhouses were. They really only could convert those 3 reasonably.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense but that walk can be a pain in the rear.

On our very first trip to WDW in 1997, we stayed in Moorea on the third floor at the end of the building. Walked to the TTC many times on that trip because it was so convenient to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter