DVC resorts set to open June 22!

Wow - that's interesting. Now the fun starts. What kind of capacity will they allow at the resorts? If it's the rumored 'reduced' capacity, will they selectively cancel some reservations?

It's been an interesting news day, but still way more questions than answers. Going to be a long a complicated process to reopen - but at least it's starting.

I do not think they can legally tell owners to stay out and let other owners in. I wonder if this is why we don't see a mention of WDW resorts opening at the same time. Most cash guests go for the parks. We are not guaranteed those so it was a good move on DVCM's and WDPR to get things open up for owners when they are and not keep it in line with parks.

I know some owners won't be happy, but at least now we know it is 8 to 9 weeks of point losses for the majority of the resorts.

I know some owners won't be happy, but at least now we know it is 8 to 9 weeks of point losses for the majority of the resorts.

I think it's more like 12-13 weeks of point losses by the time the DVC resorts reopen. Basically 1/4th of a year. It will be hard to recover from that and some people may just end up forfeiting their points. On the other hand some DVC members won't want to travel this year at all so maybe room demand will also be lower.

Hmm, so seeing this this morning I shifted our early July reservations to early August. Booked the first few nights at AKV Jambo. Now looking at the reservation system and AKV Jambo completely blanked out for availability overall (our reservation still in system), and seeing other forums saying Chapek quoted as saying some of the regular resorts will not open. Do you think it's a possibility AKL is one of those and I'm holding a fake reservation for AKV - J as they won't open the whole lodge? Can they even do that for DVC if they said it's open?

Update - looks like the availability was a temp glitch, all appears back to normal now.

Last edited:
Hmm, so seeing this this morning I shifted our early July reservations to early August. Booked the first few nights at AKV Jambo. Now looking at the reservation system and AKV Jambo completely blanked out for availability overall (our reservation still in system), and seeing other forums saying Chapek quoted as saying some of the regular resorts will not open. Do you think it's a possibility AKL is one of those and I'm holding a fake reservation for AKV - J as they won't open the whole lodge? Can they even do that for DVC if they said it's open?
From what I’ve read, all DVC resorts will be open. You may have the run of the resort if it’s just DVC at Jambo.

I do not think they can legally tell owners to stay out and let other owners in. I wonder if this is why we don't see a mention of WDW resorts opening at the same time. Most cash guests go for the parks. We are not guaranteed those so it was a good move on DVCM's and WDPR to get things open up for owners when they are and not keep it in line with parks.

Not sure what they have in mind. I guess if you think about it, most of the DVC resorts at WDW are at a shared location with 'regular' rooms. All but Old Key West and SS I believe share a resort location. Maybe that's where they'll get to the desired capacities. Although, walking the halls of BC Villas or Kidani Villas will be extremely difficult to socially distance at times - but I guess that's why they'll require masks for the short-term.

So many things we (and Disney) never had to dwell on before. No matter what they ultimately decide, they're going to tick off some folks and delight others. I'm looking forward to what I hope is a more normal and balanced 2021 - but I guess there's no guarantees on that either.

“PENDING APPROVAL FROM GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS”

It’s on the Disney website

not a 100% go yet

A necessary disclaimer but unlikely to be any delays. Local health officials toured WDW yesterday and signed off on plan. The reopening task force signed off. Demings and Desantis aren't going to object. Universal's plan was approved within a day.

A necessary disclaimer but unlikely to be any delays. Local health officials toured WDW yesterday and signed off on plan. The reopening task force signed off. Demings and Desantis aren't going to object. Universal's plan was approved within a day.
There was just an announcement saying Orange County officials approved it already. It'll move fast. Whatever approvals are needed, I expect Disney felt confident they would get them when they announced the plan.

I'm looking forward to what I hope is a more normal and balanced 2021 - but I guess there's no guarantees on that either.
Not with the 50th anniversary going on at the end of 2021. I think with COVID and the 50th, we'll see even tighter availablity. Possibly no movement at 7 months.

yes, however, everyone is acting like they are packing their bags as soon as IG was said. Best to keep stuff in check instead of flouting like it’s a done deal.

It is entirely possible that government officials could say they aren’t sure, they want to think, or it’s not approved.

As the saying goes....don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

yes, however, everyone is acting like they are packing their bags as soon as IG was said. Best to keep stuff in check instead of flouting like it’s a done deal.

It is entirely possible that government officials could say they aren’t sure, they want to think, or it’s not approved.

As the saying goes....don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
I know what you're saying, but the approvals are already happening - and are likely a done deal at this point. Those folks want Universal, SeaWorld and WDW open to get businesses running again. And since all 3 parks are using similar guidelines, Disney's approval will happen quickly.

I know what you're saying, but the approvals are already happening - and are likely a done deal at this point. Those folks want Universal, SeaWorld and WDW open to get businesses running again. And since all 3 parks are using similar guidelines, Disney's approval will happen quickly.

I’m just saying all the people posting numerous repetitive threads need to learn to understand all the details before going bananas with “they are opening”.
At the time allllll the threads blew up, that was largely false....and still is until it’s formally approved, signed off on and announced by the officials.
Saying it’s “likely a done deal at this point” doesn’t mean it IS.

I’m just saying all the people posting numerous repetitive threads need to learn to understand all the details before going bananas with “they are opening”.
At the time allllll the threads blew up, that was largely false....and still is until it’s formally approved, signed off on and announced by the officials.

The mayor already approved it. (He was part of the task force that approved it this morning, so it’s not like he’s going to object.)

If DeSantis registers any complaint about the plan, it’s likely to be “are you sure you can’t open tomorrow?”

I think it's more like 12-13 weeks of point losses by the time the DVC resorts reopen. Basically 1/4th of a year. It will be hard to recover from that and some people may just end up forfeiting their points. On the other hand some DVC members won't want to travel this year at all so maybe room demand will also be lower.

You are right! I lost a month! And, even with the extension now of all 2018 UY points expiring November 30th if they were in a reservation during the closure, the availability is slim already so many of those will go unused.

The DVC resorts opening is a done deal, That did not need approval from the task force,,,only theme parks did,

So, for those willing to go without parks, they can starting June 22nd at WDW.

From what I’ve read, all DVC resorts will be open. You may have the run of the resort if it’s just DVC at Jambo.
Probably not out of the question they could move guests over to the DVC-only Kidani side with a similar room. But the possibility of having a DVC Studio at Jambo, with no 'cash' rooms available? That could be a really nice, quieter stay! Sounds like a winner if it works out!

I give up. Y’all fail to see logic and legality. Too much pixie dust in your eyes.

In a strictly legal sense, you are absolutely correct. However, there is zero chance that the conservative governor of a state with no income tax—which is totally reliant on tourism for its economic survival—will completely veto the reopening plan of perhaps the biggest economic driver in the state. There’s little reason to push the pause button on reopening talk until the inevitable approval comes.

Don’t confuse practicality for pixie dust.

I give up. Y’all fail to see logic and legality. Too much pixie dust in your eyes.
Most are focused on the fact this is a 99.99% done deal, with no apparent obstacles to prevent the plan from moving forward. But you are right - there is always that .01% factor in just about anything. But Disney probably already knew this would be approved before they announced it. That's the logic most of us are seeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter