DVC Resale - What DO You Get?

CrystalGill

Earning My Ears
Prospective DVC Resale buyer here. Still in my research phase...

I completely understand the new restrictions and what you DON'T get as a resale buyer, what isn't really clear is what you DO get. Obviously, I get my points and a bill for my MFs. I think I still have access to the Top of the World at BLT? What about free resort parking? Any other benefits?

Thanks all! You guys are the best! I have really enjoyed the thread over here and they have been super helpful!

Prospective DVC Resale buyer here. Still in my research phase...

I completely understand the new restrictions and what you DON'T get as a resale buyer, what isn't really clear is what you DO get. Obviously, I get my points and a bill for my MFs. I think I still have access to the Top of the World at BLT? What about free resort parking? Any other benefits?

Thanks all! You guys are the best! I have really enjoyed the thread over here and they have been super helpful!
You get all of the benefits that come from being a Disney resort guest...DME, 60-day FPs, 180+10 ADRs.

You get any “benefit” that your dues pay for...free laundry access if you’re in a studio, no resort parking fee, TOTWL access.

You do not get member discounts on tickets, tours or DVD-sponsored events like Moonlight Magic and the Epcot members’ lounge.

The "no resort parking fee" is not a member benefit, but comes when you pay for a reservation with points, or stay at a DVC unit.

So, if you book cash at Pop? You pay parking.
You book cash at BLT? You do not.

As resale, you cannot pay for non-DVC units with points anyway.

The "no resort parking fee" is not a member benefit, but comes when you pay for a reservation with points, or stay at a DVC unit.

Good to know! Does that mean non-members who rent points for their stay do not pay parking?

We are not DVC members and we stayed at OKW last September. We paid $28 a night for parking.

We are not DVC members and we stayed at OKW last September. We paid $28 a night for parking.
Yeah, "stay at a DVC unit" is the wrong phrasing. Parking is free only if you are staying on points. Whether that be your points or someone else's (like renting a DVC point reservation). Nights booked with cash at DVC resorts through WDW will be subject to parking fee.

Right, that makes sense. If you are booking any room with cash direct from Disney, you pay parking. Parking is only covered if the room was paid in points since the annual dues for those points covered the parking.

Mostly because Disney chooses to charge parking. All DVC units are represented by points. The difference between a booking via Disney for cash and a DVC member points booking is who owns/controls the points. All of those Disney cash units were "booked" with points by Disney.

Right, that makes sense. If you are booking any room with cash direct from Disney, you pay parking. Parking is only covered if the room was paid in points since the annual dues for those points covered the parking.

Strange as we until recently used to book our stays direct with Disney and paid cash and did not pay for any parking, is this a new idea as we were only at SSR last August / September.

Money in your pocket.
Seriously, look closely at the benefits of resale vs direct sales.
PP have detailed the differences well.
Also, you cannot do the REI conversion (I believe) or disney cruises(generally a bad use of points).
Most important, free parking, 180 day ADR, 60 day FP.

Both of our contracts were resale. One was before the last 2 changes so we were grandfathered in, and totally happy.

Strange as we until recently used to book our stays direct with Disney and paid cash and did not pay for any parking, is this a new idea as we were only at SSR last August / September.

Yes, paying for hotel parking is relatively new at Disney.

Money in your pocket.
Seriously, look closely at the benefits of resale vs direct sales.
PP have detailed the differences well.
Also, you cannot do the REI conversion (I believe) or disney cruises(generally a bad use of points).
Most important, free parking, 180 day ADR, 60 day FP.

Both of our contracts were resale. One was before the last 2 changes so we were grandfathered in, and totally happy.
Not sure what REI conversion stands for?
Resale owners can still exchange through RCI into other timeshares. Note, DVC can change the exchange program they participate in - around 2008/2009 they switched from Interval International to RCI.

Guess it stops people parking at resorts and then using the hotel transportation bypassing paying for park parking if they do not have free parking at the parks.

Only overnight resort guests pay for parking. Day guests don’t (so they can eat, shop, visit the actual resort) - meaning that the BW parking lot still empties out after Illuminations ends each night, even though supposedly everyone parked there was either a BW resort guest or visiting the Boardwalk itself, not Epcot.

Only overnight resort guests pay for parking. Day guests don’t (so they can eat, shop, visit the actual resort) - meaning that the BW parking lot still empties out after Illuminations ends each night, even though supposedly everyone parked there was either a BW resort guest or visiting the Boardwalk itself, not Epcot.

I wonder if it is the same at the hotels on the monorail by the Magic Kingdom especially Bay Lake Tower car park.

even though some resale owners say you do not get discounts at the restaurants, on my last trip in April I got dining discounts at every meal(TS and QS)

even though some resale owners say you do not get discounts at the restaurants, on my last trip in April I got dining discounts at every meal(TS and QS)

I saw that in the past, before I had qualifying points. The restaurant would see that I was a member staying on points through my magic band and automatically apply the discount. In most stores, the CM's would also give the discount based upon the magic band. On my last trip, I noticed more CM's asking to see the card, especially at merchandise locations.

I saw that in the past, before I had qualifying points. The restaurant would see that I was a member staying on points through my magic band and automatically apply the discount. In most stores, the CM's would also give the discount based upon the magic band. On my last trip, I noticed more CM's asking to see the card, especially at merchandise locations.

I suspect that as Disney MagicBands and the IT behind them matures, all that information will be tied into you MB and it will be impossible to get a restaurant/merchandise discount unless your band is properly coded - the cast member would have to override the system.

What QS place gives DVC discounts? In DL maybe, but I never see them offered at WDW.

Edit: forgot about Disney Springs. There are some there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter