DVC Renters...are you going to cancel?

jshoemak

Mouseketeer
We've rented points from an individual for our late Oct/early Nov trip. We've already purchased tickets from UT and already purchased MNSSHP tickets from Disney. All tickets are on MDE. We really want to go on this trip and are looking forward to it. I'm not a fan of wearing masks in the parks. My family would be ok without the parades, meet and greets, and fireworks - with the exception of the party. This will be our first party experience so we would like to see as much as we can.
We are on the fence to cancel or not. I don't think we would get all of our money back for our DVC rental. I may just wait and see how July/Aug goes with the reopening.
What are your plans?

We rented points for a September stay. Everything is already linked, although we weren't planning on attending any parties, although now we want to go to one if we can. We are still planning on going.

We've rented points from an individual for our late Oct/early Nov trip. We've already purchased tickets from UT and already purchased MNSSHP tickets from Disney. All tickets are on MDE. We really want to go on this trip and are looking forward to it. I'm not a fan of wearing masks in the parks. My family would be ok without the parades, meet and greets, and fireworks - with the exception of the party. This will be our first party experience so we would like to see as much as we can.
We are on the fence to cancel or not. I don't think we would get all of our money back for our DVC rental. I may just wait and see how July/Aug goes with the reopening.
What are your plans?
Have you communicated with the individual you rented from? I had a May trip with rented points that the owner was able to reschedule to October. I think those points don't actually expire until Feb 2021, so potentially could be rescheduled again? Not sure. I also have a David's rental in Oct that I am less confident could be rescheuled if I decide not to go in Oct. I am hoping I can go. It is all up in the air for now.

We have rented points (through a broker, not Dave’s) for BCV for 5 nights starting August 2nd, and we’re still going. I’m hopeful we can get reservations. I’m also hopeful Stormalong Bay will be open. Those are the only 2 things I care about. I have 2 young kids that only want to ride the rides and go swimming, they don’t care about anything else.

We rented DVC points for a December stay. It's a splurge vacation to celebrate daughter's graduation from college. We're in a grand villa. We stand to lose a lot of $$$ if we decide not to go. But...we've been to WDW plenty of times over the years so if we miss out on some experiences, we're okay. What I hope doesn't happen is that they decide to ramp up capacity and we don't get the normal lead times we should as WDW resort guests with regards to ADRs and FPs. (edited to add: I realize there may be ADRs 60 days out and no FPs, but with the latter, lead time/priority for any type of FPs or Virtual Queues that may be developed)

Just when I thought I had my strategy and planning down, now this new twist.:) However, I'm thankful we still can go and there's a part of me that's a bit excited about what positives these changes may have in store for us.

Last edited:
We rented DVC points for November. Already bought tickets before the price increase and just last Thursday purchased airfare. So - yep, we are going. We will take what we can get. It isn't our first trip and the kids don't care about parades or characters. We don't have any set places that are "must" places to eat so this will be a go-with-the-flow trip.

What are your plans?
I highly encourage communicating with the owner now instead of waiting. At the very least, it will give you an idea of their willingness to work with you on rescheduling or refunding. In some cases, the owner can move their points into next year to accommodate you but they will have a deadline to meet for doing so. And while you wait, available villas can be disappearing as owners book spring vacations for themselves, using points they had to push into next year due to cancellations.

We have points rented at the Poly for a September stay and are planning to go. We have paid for half already, and although the owner would probably let us push the trip back if he can, no other time really works well for us.

We rented points for a stay in August. We are most likely canceling. We do have the points protection which makes the decision easier.

We rented points for a September stay. Everything is already linked, although we weren't planning on attending any parties, although now we want to go to one if we can. We are still planning on going.

We've talked with our kiddos and they all want to go even if we have to wear masks. The only thing that will change their minds is if we can't get the dining they want or if the rides they want to ride are not operating.

Have you communicated with the individual you rented from? I had a May trip with rented points that the owner was able to reschedule to October. I think those points don't actually expire until Feb 2021, so potentially could be rescheduled again? Not sure. I also have a David's rental in Oct that I am less confident could be rescheuled if I decide not to go in Oct. I am hoping I can go. It is all up in the air for now.

I have spoken with the person that I rented from about a month ago. They will move our trip out if needed. We really want to go in Oct/Nov so we would have to wait a while to rebook.

We have rented points (through a broker, not Dave’s) for BCV for 5 nights starting August 2nd, and we’re still going. I’m hopeful we can get reservations. I’m also hopeful Stormalong Bay will be open. Those are the only 2 things I care about. I have 2 young kids that only want to ride the rides and go swimming, they don’t care about anything else.
All mine care about is riding rides, swimming, and food...LOL

We rented DVC points for November. Already bought tickets before the price increase and just last Thursday purchased airfare. So - yep, we are going. We will take what we can get. It isn't our first trip and the kids don't care about parades or characters. We don't have any set places that are "must" places to eat so this will be a go-with-the-flow trip.

It's not our first trip either, but it is our first party. The only place that is a must-do restaurant is Ohana. Hoping we can get in at some point.

Have the poly rented for 1st week of September and plan on going. Have non expiring park hoppers that I would now like to save for another time and just replace them with some single park tickets. My nine year old daughter does not want to go if she has to wear a mask, I told her the masks may be around for awhile even when she goes back to school

We have 7/12 at BWV and Thanksgiving at BLT. We plan to go. We rented from brokers, and they are technically non-refundable.

OP, do you have a contract in place the owner you rented from? Point rentals are typically non-refundable. I agree with PPs that if you may want to move your reservation, you should sort that out now. Most owners are amenable to changing dates if there is availability and the point difference is little to none. But the longer you wait, the less availability there will be. In normal times, end of year is a very busy time for DVC.

OP, do you have a contract in place the owner you rented from? Point rentals are typically non-refundable. I agree with PPs that if you may want to move your reservation, you should sort that out now. Most owners are amenable to changing dates if there is availability and the point difference is little to none. But the longer you wait, the less availability there will be. In normal times, end of year is a very busy time for DVC.

I do have a contract in place. There are clauses in the contract for changes. I will need to pay a 25% fee if I decide to do so. I'm still in the range for that until Aug 28th so I may see what happens in July/early Aug. I'm thinking we will just move forward with planning as normal.

We rented points to stay at the Poly for an August trip. We canceled back in April even before all the announcements were made about the modified experiences. I had to let my renter know by April that way she could bank the points until next year (or something similar to that). Anyway, she was great to work with; refunded all our money less $100. Had she not been willing to refund our money, we would’ve still went but probably would have made it a resort-only vacation.

We rebooked (not on rented points) for next summer. I’m hoping things may be a little more normal by then.

We're going!! Mid August-to be honest, we go down every summer-we normally don't do fireworks, park hopping. Parades are nice, but not a deal breaker for us. Magic hours, we usually are too tired to go back in the evening, and in the morning, we do get to the parks first thing. My DH can't take off in Sept or Oct, and I think the rented points expire the end of Nov., so we're going to continue to go-we don't have little kids, just DH and adult son. We'll make the best of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter