DVC Rentals

takemetothemouse

married, mom of 2 (DD 4/16 & DS 5/19)
Anyone rent DVC points? I was thinking of renting from David’s but I’m nervous about it. Any pros & cons or good & bad experiences that you’d like to share with me?

What are you nervous about? David's is a very reputable company that's been in business over ten years.

Pros - Stay in a deluxe resorts for nearly half the cost of rack rate. Rooms are more like apartments than hotel rooms.

Cons - Must book far in advance. Can't cancel or modify reservation. Can't get dining discount.

Rented from this forum with no issues had 2 stays booked and was even able to adjust the first part of our split stay because of the hurricane so we had one extended stay at AKV.

Just make sure to look up who the poster is that you are renting from.

Con is simply that you really can't cancel except certain people you rent from will allow you to rebook within the dvc rules.

We've rented out our points with David's several times. They were very easy to work with and everything smoothly on our side.

I've used DVC Rentals twice, once for a solo trip split-staying in a Boardwalk and a Poly studio and once for a family vacation in a studio and a 2 bedroom villa at Bay Lake Towers.

Renting points for a studio is a better deal than a comparable deluxe hotel room with an AP discount. Because there is no canceling rented points, I bought trip insurance, which brings the cost closer to equal.

Nothing but positive feedback about staying on-site in DVC properties, especially those within walking distance of a park. The extra space, privacy, and amenities cut our family vacation stress in half. We still liked each other on day 7.

Thanks everyone! I had read somewhere else that they were renting points but the owner was in default so they couldn’t go on vacation at the last minute or something.. but I suppose going through a 3rd party like David’s would take away that fear.... how did you go about getting trip insurance? It is through Disney or somewhere else? I want to go in September & I’d rather not have another Dorian come through & ruin my vacation.

We've rented from David's multiple times, they are great to work with & customer service dept is very helpful. They have a link (I think, have not used it myself) on website for 3rd party insurance I believe.

Thanks everyone! I had read somewhere else that they were renting points but the owner was in default so they couldn’t go on vacation at the last minute or something.. but I suppose going through a 3rd party like David’s would take away that fear.... how did you go about getting trip insurance? It is through Disney or somewhere else? I want to go in September & I’d rather not have another Dorian come through & ruin my vacation.
The DVC Rental website has insurance information in their FAQs.

FYI - I've only ever heard good things about David's site. It just happened that I found DVC Rental first and liked their site.

More questions! If I were to book a room at Poly, and friends were going with us but chose to book at Kidani Village. Would I be able to link our reservations so that we could have meals together? If we were both renting DVC points? I’m assuming it would be done the same if we were both booking through Disney but I’m unsure.

Anyone rent DVC points? I was thinking of renting from David’s but I’m nervous about it. Any pros & cons or good & bad experiences that you’d like to share with me?

rented from David's 5 or 6 times. Easy as can be. I always booked 11 months out. Even got a value studio at AKV Jambo House in December 2018. We got the dining plan everytime and we used a Disney gift card to pay for it.

I recommend them.

More questions! If I were to book a room at Poly, and friends were going with us but chose to book at Kidani Village. Would I be able to link our reservations so that we could have meals together? If we were both renting DVC points? I’m assuming it would be done the same if we were both booking through Disney but I’m unsure.
[/QUOTE

If you all make Disney experience accounts and are "friends & family" on the accounts then when you make DINING reservations you just choose them from the list. You RESORT reservation does not have to be linked in any way at all. Now, if you are at the same resort then you can let them know and you may "request" to be near each other if you booked the SAME category.

So, your first step would be to have all the people set up a "my disney experience" account and and become "friend & family" but if you do not do this, just make a reservation for ever how many are in your dining party.

have fun

David’s has no control over your reservation. The owner does. If the owner accidentally cancels your reservation and cannot re-book it, you will get your money back. If an owner flakes out and neglects to pay his dues over an extended period of time, DVC will cancel all of his pending reservations...including any rentals. Even so, you would get your money back.

If you cannot take your trip due to unforeseen circumstances, including a hurricane striking Orlando, you had better have trip insurance to cover the rental of a timeshare. DVC rentals are no refunds and no changes when going thru a 3rd party broker. When Irma hit two years ago, there were a lot of unhappy renters without insurance who learned a very expensive lesson. The brokers were very inflexible concerning their no changes/no refunds policies.

There’s no difference. You link thru MDE Friends and Family and make your joint plans. You’re still a Disney guest when you stay in a DVC resort on points.

You may get your money back, but unfortunately, you don't have a reservation anywhere and chances of getting a DVC unit could be very slim at that point. Your chances are lessened if you use a reliable broker because the DVC owner won't get all their money till you actually show up, keeps them a little more honest, but there are a few bad apples out there.

I'm an owner and leerly about renting out my points because, as the owner, I am responsible if there is damage or an unpaid cc bill. It all depends on how much risk one is comfortable with.

I'm an owner and leerly about renting out my points because, as the owner, I am responsible if there is damage or an unpaid cc bill. It all depends on how much risk one is comfortable with

Really? I had no idea that was the case. That hardly seems fair - I should think that if I racked up the debt & they were unable to charge my CC that the situation would be between me & them, not you & them. That's not right.
No worries though, I love renting points and always settle my bill at the end of my stay::yes::::yes::::yes::

I rented points on my last trip through the rent trade board here on the Dis. It went great! I signed a contract and bought insurance in case of any cancellation issues. Read the trip insurance carefully and make sure it includes timeshare rentals. Mine did and it wasn’t expensive. It was worth it for peace of mind.

Cons are you can’t cancel. The person I rented from told me she is willing to move reservations if the dates work. And she is willing to cancel if she can find someone to take over the reservation but that is rare from an owner. I know David’s is no cancellations whatsoever. Also no daily housekeeping but it wasn’t a big deal to us.

Pros are deluxe resorts are value or moderate prices. I got BWV during jersey week for $189 a night. Pop goes for over $200 a night!

I am renting for the first time!
Rented privately through *********** on this occasion and my owner has been fab so far
We travel in late October!

The board on here and MO you can potentially rent already confirmed reservations if you have some flexibility in dates and or where

Rented multiple times (Aulani, Poly, AKL). All with David's and all with no issues. They're knowledgeable and helpful and make the process easy.
Pros: Stay Deluxe at Moderate rate. Reserve early rather than wait for a discount. The prices (points) are set well in advance and don't change.
Cons: Must pay in full up front. No cancellations. No package/dining discounts.
And, as others have said, DVC's don't include daily room service but you can purchase it or purchase just trash/towel service reasonably.

I should have added one other benefit we've encountered as the kids have gotten older. Normal rooms will add a charge for each adult (anyone 18+) over the first 2. The charge is $15/$25/$35 per additional adult per night for Value/Moderate/Deluxe accordingly. Now that both of ours will be over 18 next trip, that's $50/nt more for a moderate. With DVC rentals, the price is the price and number of adults or children don't matter (as long as you don't exceed the capacity of the room).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!