DVC rental?

For those who own DVC or have experience booking.. how “hard” is it to get a 2 bedroom villa at BWV or BCV at the 11 month mark through one of the rental companies? I’m looking at early December (I know it’s one of the busiest times for DVC).

I’m trying to decide if I should rent through these boards from someone who owns at BWV or BCV or go through one of the rental companies. I’m worried that the companies won’t have points available from an owner st the 11 month mark and I might miss out on booking. On the other hand, renting from an individual makes me nervous with them having control over my reservation. What keeps them from cancelling my reservation and selling the points again? Is there any protection if I pay with credit card (Amex) through PayPal? My party would save close to 5k by staying in a 2 bedroom over having 2 rooms at the BC.

Impossible to say as none knows how many owners with BWV or BCV the rental companies have on their books.

For those who own DVC or have experience booking.. how “hard” is it to get a 2 bedroom villa at BWV or BCV at the 11 month mark through one of the rental companies? I’m looking at early December (I know it’s one of the busiest times for DVC).

I’m trying to decide if I should rent through these boards from someone who owns at BWV or BCV or go through one of the rental companies. I’m worried that the companies won’t have points available from an owner st the 11 month mark and I might miss out on booking. On the other hand, renting from an individual makes me nervous with them having control over my reservation. What keeps them from cancelling my reservation and selling the points again? Is there any protection if I pay with credit card (Amex) through PayPal? My party would save close to 5k by staying in a 2 bedroom over having 2 rooms at the BC.
All 2 BR villas at BWV are lock-offs, meaning they are a 1BR + studio. Studios are extremely high-demand there. There are only a few dedicated studios at BWV and when they are booked up, the reservation system begins to split up the 2 BR villas in order to book more studios. In essence. 2 BR villas are just about as difficult to get as studios at BWV. Members are already walking their reservations in order to secure December dates. If you choose BWV, opt for the pool/garden view because it is the least requested view.

BCV has dedicated 2 BR villas plus lock-offs. It also does not appear to have the walking problem that BWV has. I believe that you would have a better chance of success there.

With SW:GE expected to open in late fall of 2019, I'm expecting that both resorts will be hard to book because owners themselves have been waiting to book for themselves or for friends. This will result in fewer owners making their points available to the agencies. IMO, you might want to try renting directly from an owner on the DVC Rent/Trade Board.

We are also going next fall and about to book with dvc-rental.com but I want to make sure this is a legit site. How can I find out if this site isn't a scam? They said they have my resort preference for our dates available. Somebody help! I want to book asap so we can secure this resort.
Google the company name dollowed by the word complaints. I couldn't find any. Lots of goid recviews, a number of questions simlar to yours dating back at least three years.

All 2 BR villas at BWV are lock-offs, meaning they are a 1BR + studio. Studios are extremely high-demand there. There are only a few dedicated studios at BWV and when they are booked up, the reservation system begins to split up the 2 BR villas in order to book more studios. In essence. 2 BR villas are just about as difficult to get as studios at BWV. Members are already walking their reservations in order to secure December dates. If you choose BWV, opt for the pool/garden view because it is the least requested view.

BCV has dedicated 2 BR villas plus lock-offs. It also does not appear to have the walking problem that BWV has. I believe that you would have a better chance of success there.

With SW:GE expected to open in late fall of 2019, I'm expecting that both resorts will be hard to book because owners themselves have been waiting to book for themselves or for friends. This will result in fewer owners making their points available to the agencies. IMO, you might want to try renting directly from an owner on the DVC Rent/Trade Board.

Thanks for the advice. After doing research and reading about the lock offs at BWV I was afraid the 2 bedrooms would be hard to get :scared: Looks like I need to go through the boards instead of the rental agency. We just got back from Disney and my Plan A was to book the room only bounceback for next December, but it was already completely sold out at Yacht and Beach and Boardwalk. :headache:

On the other hand, renting from an individual makes me nervous with them having control over my reservation. What keeps them from cancelling my reservation and selling the points again? Is there any protection if I pay with credit card (Amex) through PayPal? My party would save close to 5k by staying in a 2 bedroom over having 2 rooms at the BC

I just want to note that whether you use a rental agency or work directly with an owner on the DISboards, you're still working with an individual owner, who maintains control of the reservation. All the rental agencies do is match up owners and renters, and handle the paperwork and the money.

Paypal does not offer protection for timeshare rentals. Their terms of service exclude protection for vacation rentals.

Google the company name dollowed by the word complaints. I couldn't find any. Lots of goid recviews, a number of questions simlar to yours dating back at least three years.
Thanks so much for your help. I will do that!

Yeah I saw that DVCrental was using Instagram to adverte rates for Value rooms during low point season as being something that could be done. I tried to gently point out to them that it was essentially misleading advertising because those rooms will never be available, while also crediting them for being a legitimate and reputable company. They never responded to me.

It’s not impossible, if you set it up before 11 months and your owner is motivated and has luck.

It’s just impossible after that. Unless you and the owner have all the luck in the universe and check just after someone cancelled their reservations.

I’m trying to decide if I should rent through these boards from someone who owns at BWV or BCV or go through one of the rental companies.

Either way you’re dealing with someone who has points. :)

On the other hand, renting from an individual makes me nervous with them having control over my reservation. What keeps them from cancelling my reservation and selling the points again? Is there any protection if I pay with credit card (Amex) through PayPal?

PayPal doesn’t protect timeshare transactions.

An owner could do that even if you booked through David’s etc. the company might try their hardest to find you *something*, but they’d still be looking for people with points and resort availability. The main difference would be that perhaps they hold money in escrow so you’re not entirely out all that money.

It’s not impossible, if you set it up before 11 months and your owner is motivated and has luck.

I agree. I just doubt an owner would go through all that work just to sell it for a dollar or less per point than they would if they just directly rented it out on their own. Not impossible, just not a high enough likelihood to be advertising as a real possibility.

We've used DVC rental store 2x now with no issue. However with our recent discovery of off-site condo/townhomes/housing rentals we'll probably only stay on Disney property if we score a really awesome deal. For the cost of staying at a DVC place we were able to get a 5 bd townhouse and rent a car. Just not worth the cost when you can have all the amenities of home. To be fair we did stay the last time for 10 days so having a full kitchen and stuff made a difference.

We rented before we bought. We rented with both a rental company and directly from an Owner and never had an issue with either. The owner even worked with us and went ahead booked a Savannah Studio while wait-listing a value at AKL. When the value came through, the Owner switched to value and refunded us the difference between the Savannah and value rooms. However, I have noticed that DVC is getting harder and harder to get a specific room at a specific resort even at the 11-month mark. My suggestion is that if you are looking for a specific high-demand resort at a specific time, then contact an Owner or rental company earlier, such as the 12-month mark, to see if they would work out an agreement to book as early as they can.

PayPal doesn’t protect timeshare transactions.

An owner could do that even if you booked through David’s etc. the company might try their hardest to find you *something*, but they’d still be looking for people with points and resort availability. The main difference would be that perhaps they hold money in escrow so you’re not entirely out all that money.

I know PayPal itself doesn’t protect timeshares, but I always use my American Express through PayPal (instead of just paying with cash straight out of my account), and after chatting with Amex yesterday they said it would be treated like a charge dispute/chargeback if something were to go wrong renting from an individual or an agency. Only downside is I don’t think DVC rental store takes Amex.. but from what I’m hearing there are pretty much the same risks involved renting from an individual or agency.

So if I do rent points, the reservation will show up in MDE, right? Will it disappear if it is cancelled by the owner or would I need to call and confirm that it is still there every so often? I was all on board for renting points until I read someone’s experience on here not too long ago. They showed up at the resort and the reservation had been cancelled due to the owner not being in good standing I believe. Of course, they didn’t know until they arrived. Wouldn’t be so worried about that situation if we weren’t going during a time when resorts are typically booked solid.

I know PayPal itself doesn’t protect timeshares, but I always use my American Express through PayPal (instead of just paying with cash straight out of my account), and after chatting with Amex yesterday they said it would be treated like a charge dispute/chargeback if something were to go wrong renting from an individual or an agency. Only downside is I don’t think DVC rental store takes Amex.. but from what I’m hearing there are pretty much the same risks involved renting from an individual or agency.

So if I do rent points, the reservation will show up in MDE, right? Will it disappear if it is cancelled by the owner or would I need to call and confirm that it is still there every so often? I was all on board for renting points until I read someone’s experience on here not too long ago. They showed up at the resort and the reservation had been cancelled due to the owner not being in good standing I believe. Of course, they didn’t know until they arrived. Wouldn’t be so worried about that situation if we weren’t going during a time when resorts are typically booked solid.
When you rent a DVC reservation, you are given the confirmation number. You enter that number in MDE. If the reservation were to change (I.e. if your names are removed from the reservation or if the owner cancels the reservation) it will disappear from MDE. If that happens a rental company will either refund what you paid or they will try to secure another reservation for you but it might cost more money or be at a different resort.

In the event that an owner is behind on their dues or mortgage, DVC can cancel all reservations made by that owner. This could happen at any point between the time the reservation is made and when you check in. It would all depend on when DVC decides to enforce the policy.

One thing to keep in mind is that MDE is quirky. I've seen my own DVC reservations disappear from MDE for a day or two but I know that the reservation is still there because I can see it in my DVC account, which is separate from MDE. So, if you decide to rent and you see this occur, don't panic! Certainly contact the agency or owner to ensure all is in order, but don't assume the worst. Easier said than done.

I decided on dvc rental store and Katrina who I’m working with has been wonderful so far. Fingers crossed I get an email soon saying there’s an opening at the poly villas. Just put my security deposit down last night.

I decided on dvc rental store and Katrina who I’m working with has been wonderful so far. Fingers crossed I get an email soon saying there’s an opening at the poly villas. Just put my security deposit down last night.
You should be fine as long as there aren't too many potential Poly renters ahead of you. Poly studios do no book up as quickly as some of the other resorts during the 11-7 month booking window. It's a different story once you reach 7 months or less before arrival. At that point, any DVC owner can book Poly and they will be online right at 8 AM to do it.

You've got lots of time before then. I predict that the rental agencies will see a lot of owners listing with them right after the holidays. Our 2019 dues statements just hit our accounts and there are a lot of owners experiencing sticker shock. Poly dues went up a little over 9% compared to 2018. I expect that a number of owners (not just Poly) will be listing their points for rent so that they can get some quick cash to pay them before the due date of Jan. 14, 2019. Good luck!

You should be fine as long as there aren't too many potential Poly renters ahead of you. Poly studios do no book up as quickly as some of the other resorts during the 11-7 month booking window. It's a different story once you reach 7 months or less before arrival. At that point, any DVC owner can book Poly and they will be online right at 8 AM to do it.

You've got lots of time before then. I predict that the rental agencies will see a lot of owners listing with them right after the holidays. Our 2019 dues statements just hit our accounts and there are a lot of owners experiencing sticker shock. Poly dues went up a little over 9% compared to 2018. I expect that a number of owners (not just Poly) will be listing their points for rent so that they can get some quick cash to pay them before the due date of Jan. 14, 2019. Good luck!
Thanks for the thorough reply. I’m a bit nervous to wait until 7 months out because this is definitely the resort we want to stay at so if they can’t get a poly we will have to do a regular room but I’m having a hard time with the rack rate price for it I have a regular room booked for those dates too and keeping it until the day we get an email saying they have a dvc room for us. I just like having things confirmed and to get myself ready for the ADR planning phase!

I must be the luckiest renter ever.
I bought points for the first time 3 years ago. I was completely clueless about how everything was done. Primarily the 7 month & 11th month & home resort booking windows. The lady had the points listed on ebay for $14 a point which was pretty competitive then. I have booked 4 trips with her so far and everything has been perfect every time. The best part is she is still only charging $14 a point.

I must be the luckiest renter ever.
I bought points for the first time 3 years ago. I was completely clueless about how everything was done. Primarily the 7 month & 11th month & home resort booking windows. The lady had the points listed on ebay for $14 a point which was pretty competitive then. I have booked 4 trips with her so far and everything has been perfect every time. The best part is she is still only charging $14 a point.

I have a nice lady who I have purchased four times over the past 8 years and she is just wonderful. I send her a check, after she confirms the dates and makes the reservation. It is usually 9 months out but it is nice to have someone you trust and get a great deal..:)

I have a nice lady who I have purchased four times over the past 8 years and she is just wonderful. I send her a check, after she confirms the dates and makes the reservation. It , is usually 9 months out but it is nice to have someone you trust and get a great deal..:)
I agree 100% the first time I rented from her I was A nervous wreck thinking about all of the things that could go wrong with the reservation. It is so nice to have a pretty decent level of trust now. I just pay her though PayPal friends and family (so she does have to pay a fees) she also doesnt have me pay her until around 60 days. (As I always waitlist for a GF studio) She only cares that she has the full payment before the 30 day mark!! I hope she never sells her contract!!
Just this morning she texted me asking if she should put a Note in her calander to put me on the waitlist for GF for our food and wine trip. We a booked at the BCV. I haven't decided yet. GF is my absolute favorite resort but being to close to Epcot has a lot of advantages too. Decisions decisions .....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!