DVC Rental Companies

MK ismylaughingplace

Earning My Ears
I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on which DVC rental company to use. We're on a waitlist with dvcrequest.com. But I was wondering about dvcrentalstore.com and dvcstore.com. Are any of these recommended over the other? Are there any others out there?

If I use two or all three companies at once do I run the risk of having two reservations made at the same time and not being able to cancel one?

Last edited:
In general, the agencies that pay owners most will have the most owners renting points with them.

The cheaper the cost to you per point, the less that agency pays an owner.

Owners tend to use companies that pay them most, because we're all rational.

Plus the bigger companies that pay owners the best rate, will also have the most owners of the resorts considered by those who aren't owners as the place they want to stay. So finding an owner with Riviera points probably isn't going to happen for a year or two. And even then it will be slim pickin's. Most new owners want to use their own points first and then, later on, rent them out on occasion if at all.

In general, the agencies that pay owners most will have the most owners renting points with them.

The cheaper the cost to you per point, the less that agency pays an owner.

Owners tend to use companies that pay them most, because we're all rational.

For me to rent (as the owner) through David's (dvcrequest.com), he'll have to raise the price. He knows the market better than I, so I'm certainly not trying to claim that the price isn't set correctly as it is. That's just my own judgment and choice.

I recently rented out some points for greater than his renter-side price on my own and only had to cover transaction fee. But, every situation is different, and I wouldn't hesitate to list with them or anyone else if I had distressed or less valuable points.

For me to rent (as the owner) through David's (dvcrequest.com), he'll have to raise the price. He knows the market better than I, so I'm certainly not trying to claim that the price isn't set correctly as it is. That's just my own judgment and choice.

I recently rented out some points for greater than his renter-side price on my own and only had to cover transaction fee. But, every situation is different, and I wouldn't hesitate to list with them or anyone else if I had distressed or less valuable points.
There are a couple companies still charging the renter $14pp. Which means they're paying owners $11-12.

NOPE.

Actually, I'm thinking the reverse. He knows the price and I've always thought that he's suppressing the market.

We're all well-informed here that we know that we can still rent out our points for $20+ and the renter would still get a huge bargain vs regular resort prices. Plus, DVC accommodations are supposedly a bit classier and better. If you take the mixed locations like BLT, PVB, or VGF and do an all-in cost comparison, you can see the "bargain" even at $20/point.

I had to go through him to rent out my PVB points, but it was because it was my first time. I didn't want to do anything wrong and ruin someone's vacation. But now that I know the process, I'll take it from hereon. But, obviously, the price is almost set and can't be changed.

Last edited:
We've always used Davids. Always had amazing service. And always got my request almost immediately. I'm okay with $18 a point for their level of service. I just hope it doesn't go up again. The rise from $15 to $18 was very fast!

The rise from $15 to $18 was very fast!

The rise in DVC prices and maintenance fees have gone up even faster.

Actually, I'm thinking the reverse. He knows the price and I've always thought that he's suppressing the market.

Not exactly. A broker's incentive is volume, not the specific commission. That's why your real estate agent (or DVC resale broker, for that matter) has the exact opposite incentive as you do in that they want to close the deal ASAP no matter what the price, whereas you want to get the best deal (on either end of the transaction). The only thing that motivates a DVC broker to raise rates is owners refusing to provide the points. As long as there are enough people willing to accept $13.50 or 14.50/point, the price will probably stay where it is. I'd do the same thing if I were a rental broker.

Not exactly. A broker's incentive is volume, not the specific commission. That's why your real estate agent (or DVC resale broker, for that matter) has the exact opposite incentive as you do in that they want to close the deal ASAP no matter what the price, whereas you want to get the best deal (on either end of the transaction). The only thing that motivates a DVC broker to raise rates is owners refusing to provide the points. As long as there are enough people willing to accept $13.50 or 14.50/point, the price will probably stay where it is. I'd do the same thing if I were a rental broker.

I do think it's a bit different, however. A DVC resale broker takes a percentage off the market rate of a sale, so they don't set the rate. In this case, the brokers set what they pay the owners and thus keeps the overall market value constant. I mean, it is what it is, and we choose to use or not use them. But the fact that they keep it low is why someone would say "why would I rent privately from XYZ for $19 a point when I can go to a DVC resale broker for $17 a point?"

But the fact that they keep it low is why someone would say "why would I rent privately from XYZ for $19 a point when I can go to a DVC resale broker for $17 a point?"

But there are solid reasons why someone might go XYZ for $19pp:
  • They want premium points.
  • They want to book somewhere that demands home resort with premium points.
No one/ almost no one is going to rent their new-ish CCV or Riviera points for $14 paid to them. Poly points are still hard to come by as a renter; one of the brokers has a list a mile long looking for Poly points. BCV, you paywhat a BCV owner wants or take risks. And VGC/VGF are their own special problems.

Sure, go to the broker charging $17 to book Saratoga, or even one of the cheaper brokers. But if you want something with fewer points and fewer units, the premium may be necessary to get the unit.

I do think it's a bit different, however. A DVC resale broker takes a percentage off the market rate of a sale, so they don't set the rate. In this case, the brokers set what they pay the owners and thus keeps the overall market value constant. I mean, it is what it is, and we choose to use or not use them. But the fact that they keep it low is why someone would say "why would I rent privately from XYZ for $19 a point when I can go to a DVC resale broker for $17 a point?"

That's the myth that lets people think real estate agents really want to get you the best price. The difference in the amount of commission they receive when you continually try to renegotiate is not only negligible but also starts to drop the longer the listing remains active and the more work and resources they have to expend to get you the better price. So sure, they technically may get a few more bucks if you get a better price (as a seller), but that doesn't translate to more earnings for the broker.

Say a DVC broker charges 10% (the highest amount any of them charge) and you're selling a 100 point contract. If you squeeze $10 more per point out of a buyer, that's $100 more they'll receive in commission, but at what cost? And how much longer will it sit there waiting for a buyer willing to pay the extra grand? A broker's incentive is to close more contracts as quickly as possible, not haggle over a certain one for days or weeks on end.

We have had great experiences going through David’s, we’ve done BLT, BWV, and PVB. PVB is upcoming! BLT and Poly were quite large amounts of points (upwards of 500 for Poly) and took a little bit of time, BWV was booked I think a few hours after we got that initial email that they are waiting for a member to match us with.

But there are solid reasons why someone might go XYZ for $19pp:
  • They want premium points.
  • They want to book somewhere that demands home resort with premium points.
No one/ almost no one is going to rent their new-ish CCV or Riviera points for $14 paid to them. Poly points are still hard to come by as a renter; one of the brokers has a list a mile long looking for Poly points. BCV, you paywhat a BCV owner wants or take risks. And VGC/VGF are their own special problems.

Sure, go to the broker charging $17 to book Saratoga, or even one of the cheaper brokers. But if you want something with fewer points and fewer units, the premium may be necessary to get the unit.

I agree with Poly points being being in high demand as had no problem renting them through David's recently. I have been surprised that CCV points are not in demand as have had points for rent with them since mid August and not rented yet. These are Feb. 2020 points and not distressed points. It seems that only Monorail resorts are in demand outside 7 months. I may pull them and rent myself as entering the fall frenzy time.

We're all well-informed here that we know that we can still rent out our points for $20+ and the renter would still get a huge bargain vs regular resort prices. Plus, DVC accommodations are supposedly a bit classier and better. If you take the mixed locations like BLT, PVB, or VGF and do an all-in cost comparison, you can see the "bargain" even at $20/point.

You are kidding right? Broken furniture? Late check in? No late check out? Inflexible cancellation policies? Lack of daily housekeeping? Add to all of that as a renter, you can't know for sure that the reservation will actually be there when you arrive even with a broker or if your broker is just going to be refunding your money with "sorry, I guess the owner cancelled." And without a broker, good luck ever seeing your money back.

You are kidding right? Broken furniture? Late check in? No late check out? Inflexible cancellation policies? Lack of daily housekeeping? Add to all of that as a renter, you can't know for sure that the reservation will actually be there when you arrive even with a broker or if your broker is just going to be refunding your money with "sorry, I guess the owner cancelled." And without a broker, good luck ever seeing your money back.

I did say "supposedly" a bit classier. That said, the risk you describe exists with or without a broker. Only difference is, the open market will take $20, but a broker will pay you much less.

I do think that these rental companies need to raise the price. I was going to rent my fall beach club points but i feel like those should go for at least $20/point for food and wine. I will just wait for the price to go up before i rent. I’m not in a hurry.

I do think that these rental companies need to raise the price. I was going to rent my fall beach club points but i feel like those should go for at least $20/point for food and wine. I will just wait for the price to go up before i rent. I’m not in a hurry.

I think that the brokers doing surge pricing would be a disservice to the membership as a whole. I won't rent my BWV points over F&W, they go for the same amount of money all year round, which is your first point, but the second, and bigger issue, is that Food and Wine and the Epcot resorts are heavily in demand for members. I think renting out my points is a nice to have, but I don't think I should be screwing over my fellow BWV members to make a few bucks more on the rental. I know that BWV members are going to book all those rooms - there isn't much of a chance for a BLT owners to book an Epcot resort over F&W, but I think its wrong to incentivize renting during that time period at those resorts. Any broker who chose to implement surge pricing would never see my points again.

But you are free to rent out you points privately for however much you can get for them.

Any broker who chose to implement surge pricing would never see my points again.

I think surge pricing would actually impact renters to move to different times of the year. Many are renting during September-November simply because its the cheapest time of the year. If they difference between September and July was more like 10% vs 25% renters may opt for the more expensive July timeframe.

Honestly DVC rentals should more closely mirror Disney's pricing chart for the hotel side.

First time we ever rented we did it for a September trip because of price (most important) and crowds. Didn't care about any festivals and actually there wasn't even F&W at the start of September back then.

I think surge pricing would actually impact renters to move to different times of the year. Many are renting during September-November simply because its the cheapest time of the year. If they difference between September and July was more like 10% vs 25% renters may opt for the more expensive July timeframe.

Honestly DVC rentals should more closely mirror Disney's pricing chart for the hotel side.

First time we ever rented we did it for a September trip because of price (most important) and crowds. Didn't care about any festivals and actually there wasn't even F&W at the start of September back then.

I doubt it, unless the price for a BW studio goes up to the $500 it goes for on the hotel side. Because the hotel is pretty full those weekends as well. The evidence from the hotel side is that an increase in pricing will not impact the demand enough to change the behavior of renters, but I believe it WILL change the behavior of owners who rent.

I doubt it, unless the price for a BW studio goes up to the $500 it goes for on the hotel side. Because the hotel is pretty full those weekends as well. The evidence from the hotel side is that an increase in pricing will not impact the demand enough to change the behavior of renters, but I believe it WILL change the behavior of owners who rent.

I don't think it has to go that high though.

Just using my personal experience. I could get a Boardwalk view in Fall for $1819 compared to $2244 during the summer. For $450 for the week or roughly a 25% price increase I could go in the summer. Instead I opt for the summer. Would a 20% increase making a fall room $2182 be enough to get people booking in the summer?

I personally think so because again I think many people who are booking are seeing the pricing difference and say "duh why wouldn't I travel at this time for a 25% discount". Remember someone renting is going to likely be more thoughtful than the family booking directly through Disney.

You could be right though maybe everyone still books fall anyways because the people renting truly want to travel during the festivals/holiday parties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter