DVC QUESTIONS

DisneyDotts

Mouseketeer
Hey Everyone,

My fiancé and I are looking into a DVC purchase. It's mainly me since I LOVE DISNEY!! So we don't have any kids together. He has one child and I can't wait until she's my daughter once we get married but she's practically an adult and doesn't really love Disney as much as me. We both like to hang out at the park and Disney Springs to shop/drink/eat. He likes to golf too. We have never stayed on site but we go to Disney every year in late Aug/Sept. and planning to go back this Dec. and possible in early March before Spring Break starts. We mainly try to go in the off season when kidos are back in school. With that being said just wanted to know some advice on the DVC purchase. Also we would either be ok in a studio or 1 bed.

- Would it be bad to purchase without actually staying on site?

- I was thinking about 150 point so we could stay in a 1 bed almost ever year if I borrow points of stay about 2 weeks in a studio every year give or take a few days or so. Would if be wise to get 150 all on resale or get 125 resale and then 25 direct for the discounts?

- Would the discounts even matter since it's just the 2 of us?

- Are 1 beds pretty available through out the year in the off season? I've read a few posts saying that off season can be harder to book at 7 months out since that's the lowest DVC poin cost. If that is so are the 1 beds easier to come by?

- Would we be able to still use RCI? ( I've priced the additional direct benefits and with the amount of points that I want there is no way we could ever use the additional DVC benefits such as the cruise / ABD. ( we could just rent our points and pay cash for a non-disney cruise )

- Here are my thoughts on the resorts and wanted come opinions
- CCV - it's like visiting a mountain retreat and if we didn't want to go to the parks we could just stay there.
- Poly - since it's on the monorail and we could resort hop if we wanted to kind of
- AKV - I love animals - but this resort is so far away from everything. I'm aprehensive about it
- Board walk - It has the parks and dining and everything close ( I'm just not crazy about the pool )
- Key West / SSR - Golf Course and close to disney springs.

Since we are going back to Disney in Dec we're planning to resort hop and look at each of them but wanted anyone's person opinion on those.

Thanks

Last edited:
Do not buy without staying on site, preferably in a DVC unit.

RCI is available to resale buyers but is often poor value.

December is not DVC low season. DVC demand runs highest in fall, through to marathon.

1BRs are often more available at 7 months, but at some resorts still hard to get in high season.

You need to find out if you should wait to buy until after you are married so you can both be on the deed as wife and husband.

Would you buy a dress sight unseen? Why would you buy your vacation home without seeing and trying it out first? We did and to be truthful, it took several stays before we decided that some of our resorts we could do without. BLT, AKV, and BCV were unnecessary buys, VGF, BWV, and BRV are keepers. We sold some of our contracts and rent some and rotate our keepers.

:earsboy: Bill

You need to find out if you should wait to buy until after you are married so you can both be on the deed as wife and husband.

Would you buy a dress sight unseen? Why would you buy your vacation home without seeing and trying it out first? We did and to be truthful, it took several stays before we decided that some of our resorts we could do without. BLT, AKV, and BCV were unnecessary buys, VGF, BWV, and BRV are keepers. We sold some of our contracts and rent some and rotate our keepers.

:earsboy: Bill
Thanks Bill I hadn't thought about the deed. We have another time share in Cancun ( I saw it and fell I love ) and the company put both our names on there. Guess DVC is different. I meant BWV not BLT. I think I got those 2 mixed up.

Do not buy without staying on site, preferably in a DVC unit.

RCI is available to resale buyers but is often poor value.

December is not DVC low season. DVC demand runs highest in fall, through to marathon.

1BRs are often more available at 7 months, but at some resorts still hard to get in high season.
Thanks!! Is there a reason why the 1 beds are sometimes easier to get then a studio?

1 bedroom villas cost a lot more points for about the same occupancy as a studio. While it would be nice to have a kitchen and washer in our room and a separate space for our kids with the 1 bedroom option, we can get more days or trips staying in a studio. For us, a studio is just a better value for our points.

Thanks!! Is there a reason why the 1 beds are sometimes easier to get then a studio?
Couple reasons:
  1. Most of the time, studios and 1BR units sleep the same number of people, with a couple exception cases. In a few cases, the studio supplies beds for 5, but the 1BR requires you to BYOBed for the 5th.
  2. 1BRs cost significantly more than studios.
  3. While some resorts offer Dedicated 1BR units, the most common 1BR is the 1BR lock-off. This means that, when combined with a connecting studio next door, they perform as a 2BR and can be booked as such. For every studio in these pairs booked, a 1BR becomes the only availability, vs. a studio or a 2BR.
Studios are the cheapest points.

I would also suggest renting DVC or at least exporing the resorts you are interested in before buying. DVC isn't right for everybody, so best to test drive it.

Some other important notes:
  • DVC works best for people able to plan 11 months in advance, or at least 7. Once you hit 7, even in lower season, things start getting dicier, even with 1BRs.
  • If you are hoping to book at 6 months or less regularly, buying points direct is foolish unless you're buying only a 50-point contract. You will never see benefit from Home Resort if you are trying to use DVC as a last minute booking.
  • Each resort that comes online makes 7 month or less bookings harder.
  • Booking short-term for fall is a losing proposition without extreme split stays, stalking and waitlist intimacy
  • Unit configurations are not those of typical hotel units, and should be reviewed for suitability.
  • Housekeeping is not daily.
  • Dues are an annual expense and go up each year. You may skip a year of travel, but you never get to skip dues.

Why do you stay off-site? If it's to save money, then DVC probably isn't for you. You don't just make the initial purchase; you have to pay dues every year. People used to say it would take a certain number of years to break even (maybe 7). I've been tracking mine, and the only way I will ever break even is if I compare what I have paid in for purchase plus dues, versus rack rate of the villas. If you never stay on-site at all, you probably aren't someone who would pay Disney rack rate (un-undiscounted rate) for a 1-bedroom villa. So you won't really be saving money.

Hey Everyone,

My fiancé and I are looking into a DVC purchase. It's mainly me since I LOVE DISNEY!! So we don't have any kids together. He has one child and I can't wait until she's my daughter once we get married but she's practically an adult and doesn't really love Disney as much as me. We both like to hang out at the park and Disney Springs to shop/drink/eat. He likes to golf too. We have never stayed on site but we go to Disney every year in late Aug/Sept. and planning to go back this Dec. and possible in early March before Spring Break starts. We mainly try to go in the off season when kidos are back in school. With that being said just wanted to know some advice on the DVC purchase. Also we would either be ok in a studio or 1 bed.

- Would it be bad to purchase without actually staying on site?

- I was thinking about 150 point so we could stay in a 1 bed almost ever year if I borrow points of stay about 2 weeks in a studio every year give or take a few days or so. Would if be wise to get 150 all on resale or get 125 resale and then 25 direct for the discounts?

- Would the discounts even matter since it's just the 2 of us?

- Are 1 beds pretty available through out the year in the off season? I've read a few posts saying that off season can be harder to book at 7 months out since that's the lowest DVC poin cost. If that is so are the 1 beds easier to come by?

- Would we be able to still use RCI? ( I've priced the additional direct benefits and with the amount of points that I want there is no way we could ever use the additional DVC benefits such as the cruise / ABD. ( we could just rent our points and pay cash for a non-disney cruise )

- Here are my thoughts on the resorts and wanted come opinions
- CCV - it's like visiting a mountain retreat and if we didn't want to go to the parks we could just stay there.
- Poly - since it's on the monorail and we could resort hop if we wanted to kind of
- AKV - I love animals - but this resort is so far away from everything. I'm aprehensive about it
- Board walk - It has the parks and dining and everything close ( I'm just not crazy about the pool )
- Key West / SSR - Golf Course and close to disney springs.

Since we are going back to Disney in Dec we're planning to resort hop and look at each of them but wanted anyone's person opinion on those.

Thanks
Assuming you don't have a ton of timeshare experience, my recommendation is not to buy until you have at least 2 on property stays with at least one (best both) being DVC stays. Plus I wouldn't buy with both names on the account unless married and only if you can pay cash. Once you do decide to buy, I'd likely do around 150 plus 25 retail, you'll have a ton more contracts to chose from and you'll likely both get a better price AND a better contract. I wouldn't buy planning to use DVC for RCI or any other non DVC options, just look at it as gravy if it ever works out for you. For this situation less is more. I'd go with either AKV, BLT or SSR resale then use it a trip or 2 and then do the 25 pt add on assuming you decide buying is what's best.

Why do you stay off-site? If it's to save money, then DVC probably isn't for you. You don't just make the initial purchase; you have to pay dues every year. People used to say it would take a certain number of years to break even (maybe 7). I've been tracking mine, and the only way I will ever break even is if I compare what I have paid in for purchase plus dues, versus rack rate of the villas. If you never stay on-site at all, you probably aren't someone who would pay Disney rack rate (un-undiscounted rate) for a 1-bedroom villa. So you won't really be saving money.

Hi,
No not really to save money. We’ve be in the market for a good time share. We went on a few tours and ended up with free stays so we were trying to get through those before we committed to one. The timeshare we eventually purchased gave us access to the area hotels through II but we would rather have the convenience of staying on site so we are looking at a DVC purchase too.

Would it be bad to purchase without actually staying on site?

We bought at bay lake without ever having been to wdw before. It's worked out fine. We're likely unusual, but...

AKV - I love animals - but this resort is so far away from everything.

It's not far from things.

If you drive (right now) Epcot to contemporary takes 13 minutes. Akl to magic kingdom would be 15. And the monorail can take time!!!

Hi,
No not really to save money. We’ve be in the market for a good time share.

But WHY are you in the market for a good time share? I think your thoughts on why you want a time share, as opposed to just staying in a regular Disney hotel room at a (hopefully) discounted rate, are important in determining whether or not to buy into DVC.

You don't really have to answer me, you just have to think about it.

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. It’s been very helpful!! If we did wind up purchasing resale, would a small 25 point direct purchase be worth it since it’s just the 2 of us? I was mainly looking at the annual pass discount. I know Disney could take that away at any time. Just wondering.

If we did wind up purchasing resale, would a small 25 point direct purchase be worth it since it’s just the 2 of us? I was mainly looking at the annual pass discount.

Here are the links, you can do the math:

DVC direct purchase price per point: http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/pricing-a-promotions

DVC dues per point calculator: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/membership/dues/

Annual passes, price without discounts: https://www.mousesavers.com/regular-walt-disney-world-ticket-prices/#ap

DVC annual pass discounts: https://www.mousesavers.com/walt-di...walt-disney-world-ticket-discounts/#dvcannual

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. It’s been very helpful!! If we did wind up purchasing resale, would a small 25 point direct purchase be worth it since it’s just the 2 of us? I was mainly looking at the annual pass discount. I know Disney could take that away at any time. Just wondering.
It depends. IMO we don't know where this is going long term so if you do buy, are buying sufficient quantity that it makes sense and can plan as part of your purchase; the 25 point retail add on is the way to go even if the math doesn't make sense right now. Though in your situation I'd likely get a trip or 2 under your belt before deciding for certain. The added cost will only be around $1500 give or take depending on home resort. When you get under about 150-175 then it does start to be an issue largely because smaller contracts are more per point, tend to have less availability and are often not as favorable a contract. The other issue is for the high end options that may not have retail availability like VGC, BCV & VGF. For these it may be best to buy the points one needs and then if the add on needs to be elsewhere, it doesn't affect planned usage. Since a cushion of 10-20% is best for most buyers, this can be part of the cushion and not affect the core plans if it's a year or 2 before the add on. For smaller points needs, say 120 or less, it's almost always best to due buy what you need and forego the savings/perks.

I'd definitely buy where you'd want to stay.

We bought BLT resale sight unseen. We stayed at many WDW resorts but not at BLT. We bought there for the proximity to MK, which is the biggest perk of BLT IMHO. Don't underestimate the joy of walking back to your room at the end of the night when the crowds are waiting for buses, boats and the monorail.

Though I don't like the decor, I'm very happy with our choice and never mind staying there. I like the food options at The Contemporary and monorail resorts.

We recently stayed at VGF and fell in love! However, we didn't have a problem booking 7 months out, so I'm resisting the urge to buy points there.

Bottom line is...buy where you will be happy. If you get to try other resorts, great! If not, you'll still know you made the right choice. I also think buying resale is the way to go. Depends on how important the perks are to you.

We bought AKV sight unseen. As much as it is encouraged for you to check it out before you buy sometimes it just doesn't make sense. The money that you are paying to check it out you could put towards your investment. If you are traveling there anyways then certainly do a DVC tour and check out the resorts yourself. If you are interested in a few resorts you can get a pretty good idea of what the different rooms are like from the vast youtube reviews. Buying in to one resort does not lock you in to only that resort, espcially if you are looking to travel late Jan to mid september.

We had stayed at SSR before we bought. The one thing that stood out to me at that resort is that there is not a palm tree in sight. If felt odd that we were in FL with no palm trees. I know it is based on an upstate NY area so it makes sense, but for me, if i am traveling i want something different-- which is why AKL fit our wants. Very unique resort, some people like the out of the way feel, with amazing restaurants- so you are really getting away from the parks and from everything i have read the buses are not any worse than other resorts. They might take a few minutes longer but nothing outrageous.

I would wait until you are married to purchase -- for a couple reasons. First if the unfortunate happens and things fall through then you have to worry about one more thing to divide up. Second is your name on the deed will need to match your license. If you want any discounts then you need to show both license and DVC card and they have to match. It would be one extra step after the wedding to have to change the deed after you have changed your license. If you are close to getting married just wait.

would a small 25 point direct purchase be worth it since it’s just the 2 of us?
For those now buying resale many do feel that the addon is worth it for the benefits. If you do plan to go every year then yes - just with the AP, shopping and dining discounts it will in the long run save you some money.

But OP hasn't even stayed on site. DVC will be quite a premium compared to an off-site stay. Buying a Disney timeshare to stay on site when one hasn't ever stayed on site? That's something best done if one has money to burn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter