DVC Purchase...Right or Wrong for Us

mjlash22

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

New to the forum but have been following for a few months. To get straight to the point, my wife and I are debating buying into DVC. Between the DVC show and this forum, I have learned so much, and already answered a lot of my previous questions. What I was looking for is to get feedback from the forum on our situation to help guide us as to if it's the right fit.

- Routinely do 7 night trip every other year. Typically late Sept time frame.
- Used to staying/spending at moderate priced resorts (French Quarter/Caribbean Beach).
- We are planners, like to book a year out.
- Planning to have first child in next 2-3 years (this would put a temporary halt on vacations).
- Looking to start with a small 75-80 point contract. If we continue to enjoy, add more on as children come of age.
- Intention is to bank/borrow and stay every other year at home property (deluxe studio) to get most value from the points.
- Based on my research, 150 - 160 points seems to be adequate for 11 month booking window of deluxe studios every other year?

Any feedback, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all!

New to the forum but have been following for a few months. To get straight to the point, my wife and I are debating buying into DVC. Between the DVC show and this forum, I have learned so much, and already answered a lot of my previous questions. What I was looking for is to get feedback from the forum on our situation to help guide us as to if it's the right fit.

- Routinely do 7 night trip every other year. Typically late Sept time frame.
- Used to staying/spending at moderate priced resorts (French Quarter/Caribbean Beach).
- We are planners, like to book a year out.
- Planning to have first child in next 2-3 years (this would put a temporary halt on vacations).
- Looking to start with a small 75-80 point contract. If we continue to enjoy, add more on as children come of age.
- Intention is to bank/borrow and stay every other year at home property (deluxe studio) to get most value from the points.
- Based on my research, 150 - 160 points seems to be adequate for 11 month booking window of deluxe studios every other year?

Any feedback, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!
Have you ever stayed in a DVC resort? My first piece of advice would be to rent a reservation at the one you are interested in purchasing. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. Why would you buy into a resort that you've never tried?

My other piece of advice is that small contracts are hard to come by on the resale market and often go for a premium price. Look carefully at the OOP final cost to purchase direct vs. resale before making an offer. FWIW, a 75-point direct contract will get you full membership benefits and allow you to use those points at future DVC resorts. When 2042 rolls around and the L14 become the L8, you may find it harder and harder to book studios at those resorts.

I think it would work for you based on your situation...I'm sure you will get varying feedback and advice. I think the initial plan works just fine though, but one thing i've seen on these boards regularly is people talking about how their vacation habits to Disney changed after they bought DVC, and they ended up going more than originally planned, and wished the bought a few more points up front.

If you're adding a child on, it might be beneficial when they are younger to get 1-bedrooms (separate sleeping area for a young child, gives you a room to move around in, and a place to unwind while the baby/young child might be sleeping). I know that's what we have done personally, but I'm sure plenty of other people will tell you it's not necessary.

I would say for you to rent points for your next trip and see if you like the situation. Also that is a small amount of points that lock you in to a studio and they are very hard to book even at 11 months. So you need points at a resort you want to stay at. If you wait till 7 months out you might not get a room.

Imo you might be better off being renters due to tryinf to have a family soon. The cost of points and maintenance fees and the stress of walking rooms if needed would be to much for a family just starting .

I would at least do 1 rental at a DVC resort or maybe do a vacation 1-1-1-x or 2-2-2-x with either 1 or two days at different resorts. You can add as many resorts you like.

That way you can do one vacation at stay at multiple resorts to figure out which resort you like the best.

Another option is to stay at 1 resort and go resort touring and visit most of the DVC resorts in WDW. You cant see the rooms but you get a feeling of the theming.

If you go every other year a 50-75 points contract would be enough for a studio as you can bank the points the years you are not going. You need to look at the point charts for the resort you end up liking the most. You would then need half of that points for a weeks stay + a cushion(10-15%) if the points get rearranged by DVC.

Have you ever stayed in a DVC resort? My first piece of advice would be to rent a reservation at the one you are interested in purchasing. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. Why would you buy into a resort that you've never tried?

My other piece of advice is that small contracts are hard to come by on the resale market and often go for a premium price. Look carefully at the OOP final cost to purchase direct vs. resale before making an offer. FWIW, a 75-point direct contract will get you full membership benefits and allow you to use those points at future DVC resorts. When 2042 rolls around and the L14 become the L8, you may find it harder and harder to book studios at those resorts.
I would say for you to rent points for your next trip and see if you like the situation. Also that is a small amount of points that lock you in to a studio and they are very hard to book even at 11 months. So you need points at a resort you want to stay at. If you wait till 7 months out you might not get a room.

Imo you might be better off being renters due to tryinf to have a family soon. The cost of points and maintenance fees and the stress of walking rooms if needed would be to much for a family just starting .
I would at least do 1 rental at a DVC resort or maybe do a vacation 1-1-1-x or 2-2-2-x with either 1 or two days at different resorts. You can add as many resorts you like.

That way you can do one vacation at stay at multiple resorts to figure out which resort you like the best.

Another option is to stay at 1 resort and go resort touring and visit most of the DVC resorts in WDW. You cant see the rooms but you get a feeling of the theming.

If you go every other year a 50-75 points contract would be enough for a studio as you can bank the points the years you are not going. You need to look at the point charts for the resort you end up liking the most. You would then need half of that points for a weeks stay + a cushion(10-15%) if the points get rearranged by DVC.

My wife and I have already done a rental at BLT, so we got to experience the difference between DVC and normal hotel stay. Understood that with the lower points we are looking at that studios at home resort would more than likely be our only option. Also, first contract would be direct, not resale. Would consider adding resale points on later if we feel they are needed for our situation.

I think it would work for you based on your situation...I'm sure you will get varying feedback and advice. I think the initial plan works just fine though, but one thing i've seen on these boards regularly is people talking about how their vacation habits to Disney changed after they bought DVC, and they ended up going more than originally planned, and wished the bought a few more points up front.

If you're adding a child on, it might be beneficial when they are younger to get 1-bedrooms (separate sleeping area for a young child, gives you a room to move around in, and a place to unwind while the baby/young child might be sleeping). I know that's what we have done personally, but I'm sure plenty of other people will tell you it's not necessary.

If we decided this is the right move for us, plan would be to add points on later that would put us more in the 1 bedroom range.

My wife and I have already done a rental at BLT, so we got to experience the difference between DVC and normal hotel stay. Understood that with the lower points we are looking at that studios at home resort would more than likely be our only option. Also, first contract would be direct, not resale. Would consider adding resale points on later if we feel they are needed for our situation.

If we decided this is the right move for us, plan would be to add points on later that would put us more in the 1 bedroom range.
The current minimum direct purchase for BLT is 100 points for non-members. I don’t know how strict they are being about enforcing that requirement.

It looks like you've done your research, and understand what you're getting into. The plan you presented seems solid. The only advice I'd give would be to assume you'll add on sooner than later. You'll eventually want to go every year, and that will take more points.

(snip)
(snip)

That seems like a lot of points for every other year in late september in a studio.

I have 150 VGF points and go EVERY September for a week in a studio.

Your number seems high.

Everything else you say is solid - however, you might want to wait with the plans of having a child in the next 2 to 3 years - but thats up to you.

That seems like a lot of points for every other year in late september in a studio.

Your number seems high.

Everything else you say is solid - however, you might want to wait with the plans of having a child in the next 2 to 3 years - but thats up to you.
The OP stated that they were considering a purchase of 75-80 points to be used EOY.

OP, you have done a lot of research and your plan sounds solid! 75 points direct should be good to start you out in studios. If you like BLT and expect that you'd be able to add on later to go to 1BR, I think they are a great home resort for a young family - walking distance to MK and 1-2 BR villas with an extra full bath. That said, the studios are rather small, but they are doable with a pack and play.

Planning to have first child in next 2-3 years (this would put a temporary halt on vacations).

This is the only part of your post that I disagree with! 😊 We've taken our kids all over when they were babies and toddlers (not just WDW), and they are easy and fun to travel with! In fact, WDW is one of the places we like taking our kids (our DD2 is now 3.5) because there are few places where you can go to a dinner as nice as California Grill, for example, and bring your baby/toddler and still enjoy it. We also have taken "3rd birthday" trips with each kid right before they turn 3 - free park entry, and free dining at a prix fixe or buffet. It's a great way to "save" 🤣

Cyber makes some great points. I would also add that the resort you STAY in has a big effect on how far your points will go. Look at the point charts. 100 points at BRV or OKW will get you more nights than the same 100 points at PVB or GFV. Of course buying where you like to stay is also something to consider.

Your number seems high.

Making it hard for me to selectively ignore portions of a post!

Yes, misread that.

OP....Math is right on.
Thank you for your feedback!

OP, you have done a lot of research and your plan sounds solid! 75 points direct should be good to start you out in studios. If you like BLT and expect that you'd be able to add on later to go to 1BR, I think they are a great home resort for a young family - walking distance to MK and 1-2 BR villas with an extra full bath. That said, the studios are rather small, but they are doable with a pack and play.

This is the only part of your post that I disagree with! 😊 We've taken our kids all over when they were babies and toddlers (not just WDW), and they are easy and fun to travel with! In fact, WDW is one of the places we like taking our kids (our DD2 is now 3.5) because there are few places where you can go to a dinner as nice as California Grill, for example, and bring your baby/toddler and still enjoy it. We also have taken "3rd birthday" trips with each kid right before they turn 3 - free park entry, and free dining at a prix fixe or buffet. It's a great way to "save" 🤣
This is good to hear and good information. Thanks for sharing and for your feedback!

Cyber makes some great points. I would also add that the resort you STAY in has a big effect on how far your points will go. Look at the point charts. 100 points at BRV or OKW will get you more nights than the same 100 points at PVB or GFV. Of course buying where you like to stay is also something to consider.
1 week (7 nights) at BLT seems to be in the 120-140 range for 2019/2020 years. We have never stayed longer than 7 nights (can't give the mouse to much $$). Figured after banking/borrowing (going every other year), 150-160 points is adequate and a decent buffer for potential increases in the future. Maybe I'm wrong?

1 week (7 nights) at BLT seems to be in the 120-140 range for 2019/2020 years. We have never stayed longer than 7 nights (can't give the mouse to much $$). Figured after banking/borrowing (going every other year), 150-160 points is adequate and a decent buffer for potential increases in the future. Maybe I'm wrong?
The charts don't lie my friend. Look at what time of year/season you plan to go, which resort you plan to stay in, which room type you will go for and check the numbers. Just understand that the same week & room type at PVB will cost you a lot more points than the same week & type at OKW. It's all about the numbers.

Did not see it any else here, but i would also say an August or September Use Year would be a good idea. Particularly with banking and borrowing. In the event you have to cancel a trip, it would be nice to have 10+ months to use the banked or borrowed points so they do not expire.

The charts don't lie my friend. Look at what time of year/season you plan to go, which resort you plan to stay in, which room type you will go for and check the numbers. Just understand that the same week & room type at PVB will cost you a lot more points than the same week & type at OKW. It's all about the numbers.
Yes, sorry, to add more info to my post, the "adequate points needed" range was based off of a September stay at BLT in a studio. Understood that different resorts can have same type accommodation for higher points per stay. Until/if we decide to add on more points, I have a feeling we will be sticking with whichever resort we pick at the 11 month window, based on info I've seen for 7 month booking studio availability.
Did not see it any else here, but i would also say an August or September Use Year would be a good idea. Particularly with banking and borrowing. In the event you have to cancel a trip, it would be nice to have 10+ months to use the banked or borrowed points so they do not expire.
Thank you for this! Was thinking the same, but good to have someone else agreeing.

And if DVCholds to the requirement for new buyers to purchase at least 100 pt direct? Is resale an option? Since you are going every other year for 7 nights that discounted AP's aren't really a factor and that's the biggest benefit of direct. And benefits can and do change. Even on a small contract at BLT it would still be saving a couple thousand dollars vs the $225/pt direct price. That can be handy when that baby comes along!

Just make sure the finances work for both regular Disney vacations (they are expensive) and kids (they make Disney vacations look cheap). Everything, including travel, will become more expensive with children. I dreaded buying park passes when mine became Disney adults. Make sure that your kid expenses (everything from daycare to car insurance to college) and your post kid income (if one of you decides to stay home) are going to not put you in the red. And remember, life throws curveballs - kids increase the quantity coming over the plate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter