DVC Points Inflation

HHI used to be 33 points Sun -Thu. 66 Fri and 99 Sat. They dropped Sat to 66 and increased Sun -Thu to 41.

HHI used to be 33 points Sun -Thu. 66 Fri and 99 Sat. They dropped Sat to 66 and increased Sun -Thu to 41.

As long as they lower and increase the same units types with the same overall points they should be in line with the rules.

Many moons ago I purchased my first direct DVC contract (AKL 160) for approx. $90/pp. Two years later I purchased my second direct DVC contract (AUL 100) for approx. $100/pp. I currently am waiting on the ROFR for a resale contract at BLT (stripped, 160 pts, $130, which I'm 99.9 sure it will get taken). Fast forward to today...

Today points are double the price and the amount to stay in a room at newer resorts has also almost doubled (depending on the resort and accommodations). The value of the points you purchased at an older DVC resort just does not hold the value if you tried to use it at a newer resort.

So what has happened to the value of our initial purchase? Yes the dollar value of our point has gone up BUT the value of our points have gone down as new point charts continue to increase on future resorts.

In my eyes, a fair value of inflation would be where the price per point increases but the amount of points per night for accommodations would stay the same across the board throughout DVC.

Unfortunately, DVC members (or potential members) are getting hit on both sides. It makes me wonder is it still worth it?

What are your thought?

Happy Disney Days! °O°

I see some other people agreeing with the premise that the newer resort point charts keep going up, but I just don't buy it. We just bought Copper Creek a year ago and the point charts at Copper Creek are pretty much identical to BRV or AKL Savannah View, or BWV or BCV. Are the point charts higher at the newer resorts than say OKW? Yes. The point premiums on the "newer" resorts, and I highlight newer because they aren't really new at all in terms of name recognition, are all monorail resorts (exception being Copper Creek), and have always been billed as some of the best hotels Disney has to offer, even before DVC expansion at these resorts. You're paying the premium for the proximity to Magic Kingdom and what those hotels have to offer (Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary). Riviera is the first truly new hotel, not on the monorail to see a spike in points, but it's also essentially going to be the Grand Floridian type of hotel at Epcot, with supposedly amazing restaurants, and it's own version of the monorail (Gondolas). When reflections gets rolling, we will see how those point charts look, but my guess is they will be along the lines of BRV, AKL SV, BWV or BCV.

Last edited:

I see some other people agreeing with the premise that the newer resort point charts keep going up, but I just don't buy it. We just bought Copper Creek a year ago and the point charts at Copper Creek are pretty much identical to BRV or AKL Savannah View, or BWV or BCV. Are the point charts higher at the newer resorts than say OKW? Yes. The point premiums on the "newer" resorts, and I highlight newer because they aren't really new at all in terms of name recognition, are all monorail resorts (exception being Copper Creek), and have always been billed as some of the best hotels Disney has to offer, even before DVC expansion at these resorts. You're paying the premium for the proximity to Magic Kingdom and what those hotels have to offer (Poly, Grand Floridian, Contemporary). Riviera is the first truly new hotel, not on the monorail to see a spike in points, but it's also essentially going to be the Grand Floridian type of hotel at Epcot, with supposedly amazing restaurants, and it's own version of the monorail (Gondolas). When reflections gets rolling, we will see how those point charts look, but my guess is they will be along the lines of BRV, AKL SV, BWV or BCV.
Copper Creek is a special case because there was an existing DVC resort at the same location. They decided to keep the points chart consistent between BRV and CCV so there was no imbalance between demand for these resorts.

Comparing point charts is tricky business as they offer different things. This is another important part of your home resort. But you are right, the point charts keep going up with each new resort. Which is why we purchased BWV: 76 points for an Adventure Season week in a studio. Points may be more expensive with less years, but I need less points to stay there so the math isn't apples to apples.
Point charts are actually kind of stable right now, and have been since 2013.
DRR seems to be a tad less than VGF.
Poly studios about the same, to a TAD less tan VGF.
CCV - since they matched BRV is an anomaly - The cabins being the X factor.

Strictly in terms of points per night, point charts for WDW peaked in 2013 with VGF. They have gone down a little if anything. since then.

But - lets call them the current point structures (2013 and on), - are I think one of the contributing factors to the 7 month difficulties people note.
BLT seemed to be really the first deviation of of the older point charts, then again with VGF.

People who got a DVC property prior to BLT, and bought for example enough points for Room Type X during season Y, can not get that at BLT and beyond, while all those who bought BLT and beyond can get the 2042 resorts and more with the points they have.

Someone who bought enough points for a week in dream season at the VGF bought 412 points. If available, they can switch to Boardwalk and use 280 points. Nice if you like BW and want to switch (and can), while someone who bought at boardwalk would have to use a year and a half worth of points to switch over to VGF

Last edited:

Agree that CCV was the only exception you’ll see because they decided t match the point charts at BRV. If that hadn’t been there the CCV points would have been higher without a doubt.

As long as they lower and increase the same units types with the same overall points they should be in line with the rules.
They did this at other resorts as well. Originally weekend nights were basically twice a week night. Members were apparently reluctant to use their points on weekends (understandably so), so they redid the points. Week total was the same, just different distribution

Mentally it makes me never want to book BRV since I could be staying in the newer and more centrally located CCV for the same points. But for cash reservations the BRV rooms ARE much cheaper the CCV.
Shoot, I'd rather book BRV because they have the real kitchen, not the kitchen in the hallway. Plus more space. I can get CCV by spending the night in an IKEA store.

Agree that CCV was the only exception you’ll see because they decided t match the point charts at BRV. If that hadn’t been there the CCV points would have been higher without a doubt.

just for a hypothetical guessing game...where do you see reflections falling down the road? I think when we see those point charts...then we can make a more accurate claim about the increased point charts for "newer" resorts. When we were buying into DVC and saw the resorts available, I assumed Poly, BLT and VGF would have higher point charts without even looking at them, just based on name recognition and proximity. To me...those 3 as the newer resorts, outpacing older resorts isn't surpising in the least. A new epcot resort with its own transportation system outpacing BWV or BCV isn't surprising to me either. Now if reflections comes out and the point charts exceed CCV, i'd be more inclined to agree with the initial point. As of right now though, the higher points at "newer" resorts, should have been expected based on the resorts they were at, more so than DVC doing something to jack up the charts. Just my personal opinion though. After reflections comes out...I will decide what camp im in.

Last edited:
Copper Creek is a special case because there was an existing DVC resort at the same location. They decided to keep the points chart consistent between BRV and CCV so there was no imbalance between demand for these resorts.

Is there anything out there or did DVC hint as much to back up that claim? Or is it simply speculation on some board members parts as to why they did that? Not trying to dispute your claim, just looking for something concrete to verify it.

Here are the original 2020 point charts.

Attachments

• 2020-dvc-bcv-pt-cht.pdf
    274.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 2020-dvc-blt-pt-cht.pdf
    285.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2020-dvc-bwalk-pt-cht.pdf
    280.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2020-dvc-dakv-pt-cht.pdf
    289.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2020-dvc-dssr-pt-cht.pdf
    283.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2020-dvc-okw-pt-cht.pdf
    274.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2020-dvc-polyv-pt-cht.pdf
    273.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2020-dvc-vgf-pt-cht.pdf
    280.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2020-dvc-vwl-br-pt-cht.pdf
    274.2 KB · Views: 4
I decided to run the numbers of how Disney currently values the different resorts at if you factor in how many years are left on the contract.

Scenario: 1 week in a "standard" studio room during the value season. The quotes because I didn't use standard at Boardwalk and for AKV I show both standard and savanna view.

AKV-SC: $472.42
AKV-S $375.16
AUL $520.28
BLT $559.76
BCV $1046.74
BWV $883.91
VGC $629.27
VGF $680.55
HHI $293.48
OKW $312.00
PVB $590.00
SSR $379.43
VB $392.17
BRV: $818.78
CCV: $410.53
RIV: $409.84

Example calculation: BCV costs $225 per point and has 23 years remaining. A standard room for a week in the value season is 107 points. $225 * 107 points / 23 years = $1046.74

I tend to agree that the newer point charts are contributing to the studio booking difficulty. CCV and VGF are the 2 hardest to book studios even for owners, right? VGF has the highest point chart, and CCV has the lower points to match BRV for studios/1br/2br, but then all the points for the GVs and cabins thrown on top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter