DVC Point Rental Primer

Maybe some owners don’t want to deal with references, but I have a document I give the people I rent to with details on how to check my ownership online, list of references, and sample contract. I like an informed renter, and I want people to feel as comfortable as possible.

Maybe some owners don’t want to deal with references, but I have a document I give the people I rent to with details on how to check my ownership online, list of references, and sample contract. I like an informed renter, and I want people to feel as comfortable as possible.
Be really careful about what information that you give a renter about your contract. There was another DVC owner who is being scammed by someone who she gave a copy of the existing reservation when he wanted to make sure she already had that hard to book reservation. Now the scammer is using her information to scam other people.

Be really careful about what information that you give a renter about your contract. There was another DVC owner who is being scammed by someone who she gave a copy of the existing reservation when he wanted to make sure she already had that hard to book reservation. Now the scammer is using her information to scam other people.
What? So the owner sent the prospective renter the reservation details, and that prospective renter is trying to peddle that as his own? As an owner, I don’t know how I’d protect against that, and I don’t know what my risk is.

What? So the owner sent the prospective renter the reservation details, and that prospective renter is trying to peddle that as his own? As an owner, I don’t know how I’d protect against that, and I don’t know what my risk is.
Oh, no, much more than that. The scammer has created a whole persona based on the DVC owner and scamming others making fake reservations based on the original confirmation selling reservations on Redweek and other locations. The DVC owner was contacted by Redweek about a complaint someone had about her and a reservation that they rented from her. She didn't rent them anything. The scammer was also noted on TUG. He basically has stolen her identity. Basically, never give out your member ID number and any other information they can use to fake an identity.

I don't know how to protect against it, but the risk is your identity is compromised. As the previous poster mentioned, the person could just take over your identity and pose as you to advertise a reservation using your name, references, deed search, contract, etc.

Oh, no, much more than that. The scammer has created a whole persona based on the DVC owner and scamming others making fake reservations based on the original confirmation selling reservations on Redweek and other locations. The DVC owner was contacted by Redweek about a complaint someone had about her and a reservation that they rented from her. She didn't rent them anything. The scammer was also noted on TUG. He basically has stolen her identity. Basically, never give out your member ID number and any other information they can use to fake an identity.
Yes. Unfortunately, that member has a long-time record of successful rentals. They supplied the scammer with their name, contact info and a list of references. A copy of the reservation confirmation was sent to the scammer before the deal was sealed or any money was exchanged. The scammer then asked for a copy of the owner's membership card as "proof" of ownership and that is where the member balked. However, this was enough info for the scammer to begin cheating unsuspecting renters. The owner has contacted their references to make them aware of the scam but the scumbag has already attempted their scheme on a number of timeshare websites. They even created an email address similar to the one the owner uses.

As an owner, there are not a lot of things you can do to protect yourself.
  • Never provide copies of your membership card to anyone.
  • Get a deposit before providing the renter with any reservation confirmations to make sure the renter has skin in the game. A scammer is less likely to pay.
  • Do not forward the confirmation email! Just the confirmation number, which the renter can enter into MDE for verification.
  • Supply references on request only (do not volunteer them) but when supplying references, give a one-time code to both the renter and the reference so that your reference knows that the renter is contacting them thru you. Tell your references if there is no code, no reference.
  • Insist on speaking on the phone with your potential renter. Run away from any potential renter that you just get bad vibes from.
  • Ignore those who contact you initially via email. Initial contact should come via PM or posting on your thread.
  • Give preference to long-time posters over those who have registered only to get a DVC rental. Check their posting history to ensure that they have been active recently (i.e. not a hacked account of a long-gone poster).

The scammer used a nearly identical email address as the DVC owner, too. Just changing one letter in the email address. It makes it easy to overlook the difference.

• Do not forward the confirmation email! Just the confirmation number, which the renter can enter into MDE for verification.

Just wondering what's the risk in sending the confirmation email? I have a renter asking for it, after I have sent the reservation number. I didn't see any confidential information in the email, such as member ID. Pretty new at renting, and a bit nervous...just waiting to get rid of these banked points and I will use my points myself in the future!

Just wondering what's the risk in sending the confirmation email? I have a renter asking for it, after I have sent the reservation number. I didn't see any confidential information in the email, such as member ID. Pretty new at renting, and a bit nervous...just waiting to get rid of these banked points and I will use my points myself in the future!
Have they paid you for the reservation already? If not, just give them the reservation number. That is how the other DVC owner got scammed. The scammer took the confirmation sheet and stole her identity from it. Or block all the identifying information from it including your name and address and send the renter a copy.

Renters don't need the email. They can see all the relevant reservation information once they like the confirmation number to their MDE account.

Sadly, as Feb & Bill posted, scammers can use the confirmation to defraud others.

The scammer has been posing as the owner, using her name and a similar email address. They are pedaling the reservation as a confirmed, hard-to-get reservation and they are supplying the confirmation email (with the owner's name still on it) as proof that they have the reservation.

There's no need to supply the confirmation email to a renter when all they need to link it in MDE is the reservation number.

Have they paid you for the reservation already? If not, just give them the reservation number. That is how the other DVC owner got scammed. The scammer took the confirmation sheet and stole her identity from it. Or block all the identifying information from it including your name and address and send the renter a copy.

They did pay already via Paypal. Does anyone know if Paypal charges can be reversed? Or they can contest the charge? There was nothing on the confirmation email other than my name, which the renter already knew. I had made the reservation in their name & address so the confirmation had their info.

Renters don't need the email. They can see all the relevant reservation information once they like the confirmation number to their MDE account.

I knew from others' post here that all they needed was the confirmation # so that's what I initially gave her. But after she paid, she insisted on getting the email "just in case."

I hope I'm just being paranoid. This whole renting points deal is stressing me out!

I cannot see how the confirmation email gives any more advantage to a scammer than the confirmation # alone. If, when we rent, we all refuse to send the confirmation email, then a scammer can easily use send the confirmation number and refuse to send the confirmation email for security reasons. A contract is required between the parties, with that the scammer will get the owner's name,what else the scammer can get from the confirmation email?

I cannot see how the confirmation email gives any more advantage to a scammer than the confirmation # alone. If, when we rent, we all refuse to send the confirmation email, then a scammer can easily use send the confirmation number and refuse to send the confirmation email for security reasons. A contract is required between the parties, with that the scammer will get the owner's name,what else the scammer can get from the confirmation email?
The confirmation email lends credence to the scammer. As would the membership card if the owner had supplied them with it. The more "documentation" that the scammer can supply to an unwitting renter, the more legitimate they appear. I would point this out to potential renters. The confirmation email serves no purpose other than to confirm to the owner that a reservation has been secured. It doesn't convey control of the reservation to the renter and will not supply them with "ammunition" at Disney if they arrive and there is no room reservation.

Taking a real confirmation email and forwarding it changing it so it matches the reservation data that the scammer acquired from a real member takes 30 seconds. Renters should be aware that the confirmation email has no value in any case. The reservation number is way more important, if multiple people link it to their MDE account there's a good chance Disney would catch it. Also, guests name wouldn't match. And if the original owner cancels the reservation, the number cannot be used anymore because it wouldn't link. I always reccommend to the renter to link the reservation immediately (and check the reservation data as I could have made a mistake).

Last edited:
AFAIK, you can't link a reservation to MDE UNLESS the name matches. I also think it does not allow the same reservation to be linked to more than one account.

I could be wrong about that. Anyone know for sure?

At least each person on the reservation should be able to link the stay in their MDE account, I think.
Good point about the names matching, I have no idea if that's the case, never tried so never seen an error like that.

I've made reservations for family members and linked them through my MDE account. I've never tried to link one where none of the names were in my list of friends & family. It might be time to try a little experiment to find out. :scratchin

At least each person on the reservation should be able to link the stay in their MDE account, I think.
Good point about the names matching, I have no idea if that's the case, never tried so never seen an error like that.

Yes, the names have to match.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter