DVC Membership Perks

Talk about Irony

DVC plasters the warning all over their website and throughout the signing documents ( and I paraphrase)

YOU ARE PURCHASING AN INTEREST IN A TIMESHARE. DO NOT PURCHASE WITH THE EXPECTATION THAT THESE MEMBER BENEFITS WILL CONTINUE.

And then DVC encourages buyers to buy a minimum number of direct points to be eligible for the aforementioned member benefits, that they’ve WARNED you NOT to expect.

And then people KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALY purchase direct points from DVC for the sole purpose of having access to the member benefits that DVC has warned them NOT TO EXPECT.

:-):-):-)

It amuses me.

There is a degree of irony, for sure. But the language is little more than a legal CYA. It’s a warning that DVC cannot guarantee an annual Moonlight Magic on June 11 or a 10% discount at Beaches & Cream. But in the short term, aggressive member perks appear to be a big part of DVC’s marketing campaign.

People buy DVC without what resale values will be in 20 or 30 years. They buy without knowing how ticket prices, meal prices, flights and other items will increase over the contract term. Those costs could rise 3% annually or 30% annually. Annual dues are another unknown. There is a disclaimer in the DVC POS that the Disney theme parks may cease operations during the contract term.

Modification of perks programs is just one of many detrimental things that could happen over the life of the contract. Every buyer has to individually weigh the likelihood of such changes and factor it into their decision.

If they stoped the benefits they would lose some direct sales. Granted they make more from new larger contract. They continue to offer benefits. Now that you have to buy 75 points it is almost not worth the risk, but people are still going to do it. It was a much better deal when you could get the benefits with 25 points. If they do away with them people will just buy everything resale.

If they do away with them people will just buy everything resale.

Ha! I doubt that is true! Personally, I bought direct and didn’t even know there were any perks until I read the sale documents. ( Also never even considered resale.)

I will admit I was concerned that DVC doesn’t guarantee there will always be animals on the savannas, since AKV doesn’t own them.

DO NOT PURCHASE WITH THE EXPECTATION THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANIMALS ON THE SAVANNAS!!

Call me paranoid, if you will. :tongue:

Ha! I doubt that is true! Personally, I bought direct and didn’t even know there were any perks until I read the sale documents. ( Also never even considered resale.)

I will admit I was concerned that DVC doesn’t guarantee there will always be animals on the savannas, since AKV doesn’t own them.

DO NOT PURCHASE WITH THE EXPECTATION THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANIMALS ON THE SAVANNAS!!

Call me paranoid, if you will. :tongue:

When I read that, it gave me pause for sure. Still, I went through with the AKV purchase.

If they stopped the perks why would anyone buy direct?

As Denlo said most likely because they didn't know about resale. Other reasons might be they want the particular current resort and there aren't resales or some people just have a trust of Disney and distrust of buying resale over the internet not realizing it's a deed resale purchase so is going to come with some checks that other internet purchases wouldn't.

As Denlo said most likely because they didn't know about resale. Other reasons might be they want the particular current resort and there aren't resales or some people just have a trust of Disney and distrust of buying resale over the internet not realizing it's a deed resale purchase so is going to come with some checks that other internet purchases wouldn't.

Then there are also the people who will only buy "new", not resale, without thinking about the thousands of other people who will be staying in the same rooms.

Often ignorance of not knowing that a resale contract would give you the same benefits or that the resale market even exists

Thanks Denlo. I think what you really mean is- us poor direct buyers are just plain stupid. :p

Of course, I’m not denying that :joker:

Thanks Denlo. I think what you really mean is- us poor direct buyers are just plain stupid. :p

Of course, I’m not denying that :joker:

Without jabbing directly at you, let me add another sarcastic word - lazy. My wife's aunt and uncle have all the money they want in the world. They know full well of the resale market, but would still go direct to buy into AKV because they prefer the ease of transaction more than saving $6000.

With each management change many of the perks have changed. I reality Disney doesn't have any problem selling DVC no matter what the perks are. New buyers have little knowledge of how DVC works, what perks are really worth anything and that they can buy resale or other resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

Without jabbing directly at you, let me add another sarcastic word - lazy. My wife's aunt and uncle have all the money they want in the world. They know full well of the resale market, but would still go direct to buy into AKV because they prefer the ease of transaction more than saving $6000.

Yep. That would be me. But then, I’ve been saying for years,
“ I’m basically lazy and poorly motivated”. Kinda proud of this. :tongue:

That’s why I’ll never amount to anything. Lol

But in all fairness, buying a timeshare isn’t a “smart” purchase.

If they stopped the perks why would anyone buy direct?

Many are buying resale now at higher prices than direct when resorts were brand new. So paying more for less years on the resale market and saying direct buyers aren't smart... We resale buyers may want to take a look in the mirror.

Seriously though... If you want to purchase the newest resorts there is very little discount for resale and a lot of headache to get it. Add to that if you are looking for a small contract, if your not careful you can be paying more because many times the contract will not be loaded as it is when you buy direct. Also buying direct you can get maintenance fees are prorated and if you time things right you can save almost two years of dues. So basically going direct has its place even without considering perks.

Also if there were no direct buyers there would be no new resorts.

"Without jabbing at you", time is valuable and many of us value it quite highly. Saving $$ usually comes at the expense of time and many times it also comes with more risk.

"Without jabbing at you", time is valuable and many of us value it quite highly. Saving $$ usually comes at the expense of time and many times it also comes with more risk.
True for 25 points or so I probably would buy direct even if I would save buying resale. Resale is a little stressful/time consuming.

Yep, not judging anybody's personal purchasing decisions. The word lazy was just being used to work in tandem with "stupid." As long as people don't owe me money, and aren't defaulting on loans, they are free to spend it where and how they want. To each their own.

I have read this thread and similar ones like it. I became a first time member today. This has been my dream for the past 10 years and I finally made it. I have done research for a long time and well aware of resale. One piece of advise that has always been consistent is “Buy where you want to stay”. With that in mind, I looked at resale expecting to buy there. I crossed out the ones I did not want, then the ones that I felt were overpriced with shorter contracts, coastal DVC were definitely out. This left just a few, poly not ideal for a family of five, BLT is generic according to my daughter and I couldn’t disagree, leaving VGF. I plan to buy resale once the 2 year old outgrows tantrums. However, I love the Wilderness lodge and I wouldn’t mind having to stay there if that was my only choice. I am a Florida resident and have a few perks with my annual pass, so that wasn’t the reason. Copper creek is where I own because that is where I want to stay. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why people care if it’s direct or not, everyone has their reasons and I doubt stupid or lazy is one of them.

I think that people care about resale and direct advice for new buyers because many don't know that resale exists and that they could save thousands of dollars. Many buyers may be till in park mode, going to the parks as much as they can. After owning DVC and going once, twice, three times per year, the parks can become not so important, the attractions are the same, the crowds grow annoying, and relaxing at the resort is a different vacation. Because of this, buying your favorite resort gives you a satisfying ownership.

:earsboy: Bill

For the life of me, I can’t figure out why people care if it’s direct or not, everyone has their reasons and I doubt stupid or lazy is one of them.

Good point. Everyone "justifies" their individual expenditures in ways that make sense for them. We have an entertainment budget in our house whose sole purpose is to plaster sheep-eating grins (sic) onto our faces. If there's enough $$$ in the bucket, no further justification is needed or required. To many, this blatant lack of respect for my own money would seem heretical, but for me it works as designed!

- Discounts at 80+ WDW restaurants
- 20% merchandise discount
- 14 Moonlight Magic events in 2018
- Annual Pass discount plus access to other limited time ticket offers
- Access to 3 members-only lounges on property
- Opportunity to participate in a variety of members-only dining events and seminars

When exactly did DVC members have better discounts & perks?
What 3 lounges I know top of the world and one in epcot. Am I missing one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter