DVC Guaranteed Event Weeks

So, it is the standard fixed-week option, but they are classifying four of the weeks as runDisney Event Weeks? They can help runDisney participants save? o_O

Are these runDisney events scheduled for the same calendar week every year (e.g., Week 7, Week 23)? If yes, then it seems like nothing more than a marketing tactic to boost fixed-week sales at CCV. Alternatively, if the calendar week varies, it would seem that this is a hybrid floating week/traditional points and fixed-week option. Instead of locking-in a specific calendar week, you are purchasing an event week for the time in which the runDisney marathon is generally scheduled.

In either case, it seems as though the strategy is intended to market DVC fixed-weeks to runDisney participants as a convenience.

Aren't fixed week Saturday to Saturday? They need to change that otherwise they would be useless for the marathon week end when events are thu to sun.

DVC fixed weeks are Sun-Sunday.

As I read it the week will move to follow the race weekend shifts so it's a bit different than a standard fixed week.

As I read it the week will move to follow the race weekend shifts so it's a bit different than a standard fixed week.

For example I think that the Marathon weekend this year would fall in week 52 but next year it would be week 1 so they can't just sell a specific week - it has to float.

For example I think that the Marathon weekend this year would fall in week 52 but next year it would be week 1 so they can't just sell a specific week - it has to float.

I believe you are right, @KAT4DISNEY . The legal language seems to suggest that it floats:

Requires purchase of a fixed week ownership interest at Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge that includes a special event right associated with a runDisney event weekend.

Last edited:
They are also including guaranteed purchase rights for up to five race bibs for the full or half. Halves are run on Saturdays, so how they run the “week” for January will be interesting to see. You would have to have a Friday check-in at the latest.

It will be interesting what rights come with these Guaranteed Weeks that are being marketed to Run Disney participants.

The standard Guaranteed Week runs from Sunday to Sunday, and the numbered weeks start with the first Sunday of the calendar year.

The 2018 Disney Marathon events straddle two standard GW weeks. The 26-mile Disney Marathon will be held on Sunday, January 7, 2018. That is also the first day of Guaranteed Week #1. I'm not a runner, but I don't think I'd want to be checking in or checking out of a villa on the day of the big race. In addition, the 2018 Half Marathon will be held on Saturday, January 6, which is in Week #52. There are quite a few runners who are Goofy enough to run both the Half Marathon and Marathon, which means that, under the current rules, they would have to buy two Guaranteed Weeks if they want to go for that Goofy medal.

The simple solution would be to sell Guaranteed Weeks that run from Wednesday to Wednesday. There isn't anything to prevent Disney from offering a hybrid GW and still stay within the 35% cap on GW weeks specified in the POS.

If Disney starts offering a floating week option, then it would quite different than its current offering. However, it would not be a radical departure.

Are these runDisney events scheduled for the same calendar week every year (e.g., Week 7, Week 23)? If yes, then it seems like nothing more than a marketing tactic to boost fixed-week sales at CCV. Alternatively, if the calendar week varies, it would seem that this is a hybrid floating week/traditional points and fixed-week option. Instead of locking-in a specific calendar week, you are purchasing an event week for the time in which the runDisney marathon is generally scheduled.

In either case, it seems as though the strategy is intended to market DVC fixed-weeks to runDisney participants as a convenience.

I follow the Disney World Marathon pretty closely. It does float from the end of week 1 to the end of week 2 every so often. This year it will fall on this upcoming Sunday, but next year it will be the following one.

This deal may appeal to a couple of people, but being married to a distance runner myself. I can tell you that half the fun is trying out new races in different places. My wife has run the Disney marathon 5 times, but I am sure not even she would want to be locked into doing it every year for the next 49 years.

The 2018 Disney Marathon events straddle two standard GW weeks. The 26-mile Disney Marathon will be held on Sunday, January 7, 2018. That is also the first day of Guaranteed Week #1. I'm not a runner, but I don't think I'd want to be checking in or checking out of a villa on the day of the big race. In addition, the 2018 Half Marathon will be held on Saturday, January 6, which is in Week #52. There are quite a few runners who are Goofy enough to run both the Half Marathon and Marathon, which means that, under the current rules, they would have to buy two Guaranteed Weeks if they want to go for that Goofy medal.

This is a great point. A big draw of the Disney runs to distance runners is the Dopey Challenge, which runs Thursday-Sunday, starting tomorrow. If someone were to get a fixed week, they would have to finish their Sunday marathon by about 10 am and then run back to check out. Maybe if they offered late checkout as part of that package deal, they could pull in a few more people. It is actually more comfortable to fly home on the day of a marathon than the day after, as stiffness has not yet set in.

I think it is intriguing but while their are some die hard runners that probably would run the marathon for the next 10 plus years I could see alot buying it and then 4-5 years from now not use it or need it for various reasons.

I think it is intriguing but while their are some die hard runners that probably would run the marathon for the next 10 plus years I could see alot buying it and then 4-5 years from now not use it or need it for various reasons.
But that could be true of many people who buy DVC. Being a DVC Member may work out great for right now, but as the kids get older, jobs change, and other life events happen the attraction of going to Disney every year can fade. At the same time, other Members end up increasing their amount of Disney time. They start out thinking they will only go to Disney for a week and then, before they know it, they are adding on more points to so they can visit more often.

But that could be true of many people who buy DVC. Being a DVC Member may work out great for right now, but as the kids get older, jobs change, and other life events happen the attraction of going to Disney every year can fade. At the same time, other Members end up increasing their amount of Disney time. They start out thinking they will only go to Disney for a week and then, before they know it, they are adding on more points to so they can visit more often.

Yeah but a big appeal of DVC is it's flexibility. If you need a break from Disney World for a couple of years, you can go to Aulani instead. This offer is looking to catch people on a runners high and lock them into a long-term direct sale contract, including attempting to hook them into yearly race registration fees.
If people sign up for it, I don't necessarily fault them for it, I just see it as a large upfront financial commitment for something you cannot control over the next 40+ years.

Yeah but a big appeal of DVC is it's flexibility. If you need a break from Disney World for a couple of years, you can go to Aulani instead. This offer is looking to catch people on a runners high and lock them into a long-term direct sale contract, including attempting to hook them into yearly race registration fees.
If people sign up for it, I don't necessarily fault them for it, I just see it as a large upfront financial commitment for something you cannot control over the next 40+ years.

Just like any fixed week they can cancel it and go elsewhere. Registrations are just an option they will have. And they can sell it should they wish and maybe another runner will buy it. It's no more locked in than any DVC purchase.

I believe you are right, @KAT4DISNEY . The legal language seems to suggest that it floats:

Requires purchase of a fixed week ownership interest at Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge that includes a special event right associated with a runDisney event weekend.

I admit I haven’t read the DVC site, but the Disney Parks Blog says the purchase would include “an annual, automatic, week-long reservation booking” for a runDisney race. Since the headline races are on Sunday (marathon or half) but other races (5K, 10K) begin on Wednesday or Thursday prior, I suspect these guaranteed weeks might not run Sunday to Sunday but maybe Wednesday to Wednesday to accommodate the full race schedule. Unless DVD sells a lot more GW contracts at CCV than they have elsewhere, it doesn’t seem there would be difficulties conforming with the 35% limit on GW contracts if these weeks overlap with the Sunday to Sunday weeks.

I talked to a guide after the race this past week. She is a runner herself. She told me that it will be week one for the marathon weekend and that as long as you come in and start you stay during your week you can call and book it 12 months out. Example: If you check in on Tuesday of week one you can check out the following Tuesday. She also explained that it does not have to be a full week and they will convert the extra points back to your account.

We also talked to a guide right after the marathon, I literally took a quick nap and headed over to CCV for our tour. This promo was so new, he had to call and ask for details since he wasn't up to speed yet. If they still had this offer for the Poly, we may have considered it (being on the monorail line for Marathon weekend is a life-saver) but this is only for CCV.

But if and when they do decide to open a new DVC resort at Disneyland, we would probably give this some serious consideration.

They are also including guaranteed purchase rights for up to five race bibs

It says “Owner also receives advance opportunity to purchase up to 5 race registrations each year”...opportunity doesn’t mean the bib purchase is guaranteed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter