DVC Grand Californian re-opening Dec 6!

But I think we knew if it opened it would probably be this way-DVC rooms only so folks could burn some points, but zero amenities.
Or Disney had to do it? Hotels are... hotels, but DVC is real estate so it falls under different laws. In any case, we are really looking forward to our stay at VGC (unless California decides to close the border).

I would like to visit one day. It would be a real thrill to see where it all started and I would love to stay at VGC! Hope they open the park soon!

OC is back to purple. This restricts Disney Springs quite a bit. Bars closed, restaurants can be outdoors only, gyms are closed again.

But you can get a tattoo.

I don't see the point in going if the parks aren't open. DTD is maybe a one day thing and adding Buena Vista Street will only give a little more to do. The weather might be cold in December and the pools won't be that appealing.
I guess the company sees the benefit in that people will have to use points if open and not extend policies for cancelling or banking.
There's a lot of locals that want to staycation, visit DTD easily, stare at walls that are not your house. Personally I'll do one VGC trip without the parks, I only have to drive 6 hours or take a <1 hr flight though. For me the weird part is figuring out whether I want to keep my April and/or May trips before my banking deadline February ... if there's a food festival or the parks are open I'll want to go, if not, we'd like to wait and save the points.
I was looking at availability yesterday for VGC for Jan-April since I'm tinkering with the idea of downsizing one trip and upsizing another, and it is just plain weird. From Jan-early April there are 2 nights here and there available in studios, mostly on weeknights, then from early April-June is booked solid. So apparently enough people want to go to take up the majority of the rooms. :confused3 One rarely sees any availability at the VGC within 7 months.
I booked VGC this morning. We made the decision yesterday to cancel our Christmas week at Aulani. It was hard to do but we don't feel comfortable flying, even with the testing. It seems the tests Hawaii is requiring are hard to come by and it just didn't sound like the dream Christmas in Hawaii vacation we imagined. Right after I canceled, the VGC announcement came in and I was able to grab three nights over New Years. We can drive there and give our kids a tiny piece of Disney magic without the expense and risk of Hawaii. And with family not too far away, we can arrange a socially distant visit with them.
The test availability really depends on where you are. I'll be in Hawaii Xmas week, sadly staying at my childhood home on a futon rather than Aulani. When I called my Health Insurance provider to schedule the test 3 days before our flight, she said they were booking a lot of people from the Bay Area gong to Hawaii right now for tests, but that the tests were readily available. I even have a lot of choices of test sites within a 45 minute drive of me, including one at the airport I'm flying from to get the kids and I tested for free before getting on the plane. Since it is more convenient for us to get tested a few days before near home, we're going with that but it is amazing to me how much availability varies by location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter