DVC Grand Californian re-opening Dec 6!

FireflyTrance

DIS Veteran
Just got an email that "The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will reopen beginning December 6" "During this initial phase, only the Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will be open. The rest of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will remain closed"

I am thrilled as I have a reservation in Feb and would like to go even if Disneyland remains closed. I think it's an interesting choice to open only the DVC portion of the resort, as the DVC portion is very small. Thoughts?

I just posted this too and I am thrilled since I own at GCV and have a stay booked for Feb. We will be going, even if Disneyland remains closed. It's an interesting choice to only open the DVC portion, and that's a very small part of the resort. My guess is that's it's for training purposes and they may open the entire hotel a month or so later.

Since your thread has more detail I think a mod should close mine.

But yay! So glad you’ll be able to enjoy the resort!

We still haven't cancelled our Dec 14-18 VGC trip, tempting to stay at a hotel that's at 10% capacity, also tempting to avoid wasting points on a hotel with 10% of the amenities open and no theme parks... will be interested to see the additional details as it gets closer.

I am wondering which amenities will be open. I would love to see the pools open, even if it's a bit cold to use them in the winter. My kids would probably still want to use the pools even if it's cold.

We still haven't cancelled our Dec 14-18 VGC trip, tempting to stay at a hotel that's at 10% capacity, also tempting to avoid wasting points on a hotel with 10% of the amenities open and no theme parks... will be interested to see the additional details as it gets closer.

Just got an email that "The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will reopen beginning December 6" "During this initial phase, only the Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will be open. The rest of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will remain closed"

I am thrilled as I have a reservation in Feb and would like to go even if Disneyland remains closed. I think it's an interesting choice to open only the DVC portion of the resort, as the DVC portion is very small. Thoughts?

they are only required to open the DVC portion, there’s no point for them to open the larger hotel since the villas are in a separate building.

what will be interesting to find out is what amenities, if any, will be available.

I think DVC was getting a lot of push back from VGC owners to get it opened as they legally need to when they can,

WDPR does not need to open its hotel and will not until they know that the park is open and it will have guesrs,

As mentioned, it will be interesting to see what pieces of the hotel open.

I booked VGC this morning. We made the decision yesterday to cancel our Christmas week at Aulani. It was hard to do but we don't feel comfortable flying, even with the testing. It seems the tests Hawaii is requiring are hard to come by and it just didn't sound like the dream Christmas in Hawaii vacation we imagined. Right after I canceled, the VGC announcement came in and I was able to grab three nights over New Years. We can drive there and give our kids a tiny piece of Disney magic without the expense and risk of Hawaii. And with family not too far away, we can arrange a socially distant visit with them.

they are only required to open the DVC portion, there’s no point for them to open the larger hotel since the villas are in a separate building.

what will be interesting to find out is what amenities, if any, will be available
We stayed at Poly in August, with only the DVC portion open. I found it quite nice. Many of the resort's key amenities were open, but not all. Found it to be the most relaxing poly stay we have ever had.

I am wondering which amenities will be open. I would love to see the pools open, even if it's a bit cold to use them in the winter. My kids would probably still want to use the pools even if it's cold.
This is on the DVC website, so it’s anybody’s guess right now.
”Disneyland Resort
  • The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will once again welcome Members home beginning December 6. During this initial phase, the Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will be open only for Members. The rest of Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will remain closed. Upon reopening, restaurants, amenities and other offerings may be modified or unavailable, limited in capacity and subject to limited availability or closure.”

OK this scenario, opening VGC portion only before the Parks, raises the big question many have wondered:

Is the exemption for putting points in holding now gone for reservations within 30 days?

I can't find the language in the temporary policy updates. I think it's been removed. Does anyone see it somewhere else?

I don't see the point in going if the parks aren't open. DTD is maybe a one day thing and adding Buena Vista Street will only give a little more to do. The weather might be cold in December and the pools won't be that appealing.

I guess the company sees the benefit in that people will have to use points if open and not extend policies for cancelling or banking.

I will be surprised if the pools open. That is a large expense to shoulder by VGC only. Much as SAB didn't open for BCV only, only magnified quite a bit.

This is great news but will people want to go if the parks aren’t open?
I can only speak for myself, but I plan to keep my Feb reservation and go then. Yes Downtown Disney is one day at best, but there are other fun things to do in the area (even with Covid).

I booked VGC this morning. We made the decision yesterday to cancel our Christmas week at Aulani. It was hard to do but we don't feel comfortable flying, even with the testing. It seems the tests Hawaii is requiring are hard to come by and it just didn't sound like the dream Christmas in Hawaii vacation we imagined. Right after I canceled, the VGC announcement came in and I was able to grab three nights over New Years. We can drive there and give our kids a tiny piece of Disney magic without the expense and risk of Hawaii. And with family not too far away, we can arrange a socially distant visit with them.

I feel the same way. We had our Hawaii trip over the summer cancelled and I haven't rebooked because getting on a plane makes me too nervous. VGC is the only DVC property we can drive to (6 hour drive) so that's where will be going.

I feel the same way. We had our Hawaii trip over the summer cancelled and I haven't rebooked because getting on a plane makes me too nervous. VGC is the only DVC property we can drive to (6 hour drive) so that's where will be going.

We are six hours away as well. As much as we wanted to spend Christmas in Hawaii, it just didn't seem worth it. I want to wait to go back to Aulani when we can enjoy the resort in it's entirety.

This is great news but will people want to go if the parks aren’t open?

For us, this is a way for us to get a little Disney magic. We are within driving distance of VGC so it makes traveling there safer than WDW. We have family in the area so we will see them (socially distanced) while we are there. I don't care if the pools are closed as it will be too cold to swim. We are just looking forward to being surrounded by a little Disney magic.

OK this scenario, opening VGC portion only before the Parks, raises the big question many have wondered:

Is the exemption for putting points in holding now gone for reservations within 30 days?

I can't find the language in the temporary policy updates. I think it's been removed. Does anyone see it somewhere else?

It shows up when you go to actual cancel a trip...before you do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter