DVC first timer question

Jessica Nicely

Earning My Ears
Hello all! My husband and I just got back from wdw last night and on our trip we met with an agent at Disney and discussed DVC. Me being a watcher of the dis and the vacation club segments had in the back of my mind purchasing through the time share store, but I do have many questions. First if we decide to purchase through the time share store do those points have to be used at that specific resort or can the points be used anywhere as they can be purchasing straight from Disney? Also, we want the perks of being a DVC member so do you think purchasing a larger amount of points from the time share store and the minimum amount direct from Disney would be worth it? Thanks on advance! 🤗

First if we decide to purchase through the time share store do those points have to be used at that specific resort or can the points be used anywhere as they can be purchasing straight from Disney?

You will have 11 month booking at that resort, and 7 month booking at all others save Riviera and future resorts. Exception: If you buy Riviera resale, they can only be used at Riviera, ever.

Also, we want the perks of being a DVC member

What perks do you think you want or need? Perks are neither guaranteed, nor, in many cases, economically coherent for most buyers, especially at Disney direct pricing.

If you buy Riviera resale-you can't stay anywhere else but Riviera with those points. If you buy any of the original 14 resale then you can't stay at Riviera using those points.

We bought 100 points direct in May 2019-AKV. We just bought 25 more direct AKV in October. We are and have been looking for the perfect resale AKV contract for us. But, we are staying at Copper Creek in May and I think we will fall in love and so we also have Copper Creek and Beach Club resale contracts on our radar.

Ultimately, I would like to have 300 points at AKV, 150 at Copper Creek and 150 at Beach Club Villas.
We have Platinum Annual Passes, but we will buy the Gold pass-the blockout dates don't concern us- and that will save us around $1200 (husband, daughter and myself)

If you are looking to buy Riviera or Copper Creek then buy a 100-150 point contract there and then buy resale for your next choice.

Just remember to buy where you want to stay.

In terms of the benefits from DVC, you are the only one who can make the financial decision as to how much that will save you vs, the extra cost to buy direct,

I think the number one decision is to choose a resort, whether direct or resale, that you know you’d be happy staying at if you have difficulty trading out at 7 months,

Once that is decided, then compare how to get what you want through direct or resale..,or a combination of both..and if the cost is worth it.

As mentioned, the resale points will be restricted to the original DVC resorts and RIV and any future resorts. But, you will save quite a bit of money buying any of those resorts resale over Disney.

If you really want RIV, and want the ability to trade out when you can, then direct is your only option as resale prevents any trading out.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!