DVC fails customer service again, be careful with how you use your points canceled due to COVID

vnovabri

Mouseketeer
Well once again disappointed in DVC and their ability to do the right thing and see things outside a rigid black and white policy. Long story short, we had an April trip that we waited for Disney to cancel to avoid this type of situation. Then because DVC did not provide any feedback for weeks on what would happen to expiring points, we booked a trip the last week of August before our points would expire (SEP UY) to buy as much time as we could. Then DVC emailed that they would extend the points for use until November. We called trying to book a trip in October with our points that we held in the August reservation and they said because we made the intermediary booking, we no longer qualified for the extended period. I really dont see how it is fair we get punished for putting our expiring points into the August placeholder reservation as far out as we could to avoid losing them. And basically now we are left with no recourse except to try and use our points in July or August while everything in Florida is blowing up again. Until all of this took place we had considered buying more DVC points, but with this inability to properly read the situation, and the other issues with DVC, we are more likely to sell than add on.

Maybe check back? Of course - my points were a June UY that we’re banked into 2019 for an April reservation - but I was able to ‘reuse’ when I modified a reservation...you can’t do it online - but hopefully you’ll get a more seasoned CM who can help.

Well once again disappointed in DVC and their ability to do the right thing and see things outside a rigid black and white policy. Long story short, we had an April trip that we waited for Disney to cancel to avoid this type of situation. Then because DVC did not provide any feedback for weeks on what would happen to expiring points, we booked a trip the last week of August before our points would expire (SEP UY) to buy as much time as we could. Then DVC emailed that they would extend the points for use until November. We called trying to book a trip in October with our points that we held in the August reservation and they said because we made the intermediary booking, we no longer qualified for the extended period. I really dont see how it is fair we get punished for putting our expiring points into the August placeholder reservation as far out as we could to avoid losing them. And basically now we are left with no recourse except to try and use our points in July or August while everything in Florida is blowing up again. Until all of this took place we had considered buying more DVC points, but with this inability to properly read the situation, and the other issues with DVC, we are more likely to sell than add on.
I would try to call back and get a supervisor. Seems complicated and maybe someone else could get you a better answer! Good Luck!!

Maybe check back? Of course - my points were a June UY that we’re banked into 2019 for an April reservation - but I was able to ‘reuse’ when I modified a reservation...you can’t do it online - but hopefully you’ll get a more seasoned CM who can help.

We tried a CM and a supervisor and asked the supervisor to elevate, and she said she would request a call back but it would be the same answer. We were pretty vocal that this was BS and unfair to punish us trying to ensure that we dont lose our points vs someone who just waited it out. I assume we are not the only ones in this position but she was pretty closed minded about it. She just kept saying that this was the careful crafted policy by their executive committee, so sure seemed like they have that canned response ready to reject anyone they can when trying to book into that extended period.

We tried a CM and a supervisor and asked the supervisor to elevate, and she said she would request a call back but it would be the same answer. We were pretty vocal that this was BS and unfair to punish us trying to ensure that we dont lose our points vs someone who just waited it out. I assume we are not the only ones in this position but she was pretty closed minded about it. She just kept saying that this was the careful crafted policy by their executive committee, so sure seemed like they have that canned response ready to reject anyone they can when trying to book into that extended period.
Wow, sorry about that. The whole point thing and use year always confuses me and we have DVC! Sending some pixie dust that it works out for you in some way!!

The whole point of Disney going well beyond what they had to do is for people impacted and completely unable to secure a reservation when they could possibly get to the resorts. By reports these points come out of Disney's points at which point there is a limited number (hence why you need to call). So they want to try and balance all the members who were impacted this spring/summer. With you have a reservation not impacted by shutdowns it is viewed as not needed.

I know people want to vent that is fine but its not like DVC is giving everyone the shaft.

I am really sorry about this and even though I wasn’t impacted, I did email saying I thought it was unfair.

Keep trying...but be aware that even those with a Sept UY who didn’t make a back up will not get access until the first week in Sept to actually book,

They will not extend the points until they have expired...so unless someone already had a reservation or had points to book now and then have these swapped, many members will have a tough time finding rooms.

Sorry to hear this. You shouldn’t be penalized for being proactive. No one here knew what to do or what to not do, so we now should not have to jump hoops to fix things. I canceled everything I had booked for 2020 because it stressed me out. I actually thought I’d be sad when I did, but I actually felt so much better afterwards. I canceled 3 regular trips, 2 backup trips and 3 cruises. with all the vaca funds, we are doing home improvements! 😂

Nearly the exact same thing happened to me. Cancelled in March, banked 2018 points set to expire at the end of August. Booked some days at the end of August to use them, then cancelled because the timing just won't work for us. I called and was brusquely told that the August booking "negated" the qualification of those points being extended to the end of November. I respectfully asked for my case to be reviewed, stating that was not fair and nothing in the notice said that. No reply. I wrote in to explain (again remaining professional and courteous). No reply. It's been weeks. Very disappointed and annoyed.

Nearly the exact same thing happened to me. Cancelled in March, banked 2018 points set to expire at the end of August. Booked some days at the end of August to use them, then cancelled because the timing just won't work for us. I called and was brusquely told that the August booking "negated" the qualification of those points being extended to the end of November. I respectfully asked for my case to be reviewed, stating that was not fair and nothing in the notice said that. No reply. I wrote in to explain (again remaining professional and courteous). No reply. It's been weeks. Very disappointed and annoyed.

Unfortunately you are not alone, you were probably more patient than me as well. It is really disappointing that they are taking this stance.

I am really sorry about this and even though I wasn’t impacted, I did email saying I thought it was unfair.

Keep trying...but be aware that even those with a Sept UY who didn’t make a back up will not get access until the first week in Sept to actually book,

They will not extend the points until they have expired...so unless someone already had a reservation or had points to book now and then have these swapped, many members will have a tough time finding rooms.

I did not know this, I must have missed that fine print in their email. Even that seems like a big gamble for people who arent "negated". Thats for the heads up on that.

I did not know this, I must have missed that fine print in their email. Even that seems like a big gamble for people who arent "negated". Thats for the heads up on that.

Nothing about the rules was in the emails and that was my biggest complaint that people were having to guess and CMs didn’t really have the info.

Only people so far who have actually been able to use are April and June UY.

What WE did...

1) Banked all 2020 use year points to 2021.
2) Cancelled all three 2020 DVC vacations.
3) Listed previously banked 2019 use year points, that DVC will steal 3-31-2021, for Rental. We had no choice.

Now, regarding 3).... a LOT of DVC Owners are in this boat. So, if looking for DVC Rentals? The rest of 2020, and a good chunk of 2021, is going to be a Gold Mine.

@vnovabri we were in the same boat. I called weekly and spoke to a couple supervisors and there was zero bend in any of them. We finally had our July Aulani trip cancelled but it has been maddening to watch DVC slowly cancel things only 1-2 weeks out at a time.

@Sandisw is the first week of that UY for the extension basically "unusable" that you've seen/read? We were hoping to use the extended points to bridge some dates going from August in Sept with a Sept UY

That is a shame that DVC isn’t treating Aug/Sept UY banked points like Apr/June.

we booked a trip the last week of August before our points would expire (SEP UY) to buy as much time as we could.
I assume since you said your points would expire, they must have been 2018 banked points. There was a thread where other members were caught in the same situation, (see below) the most frustrating thing to me is not only is the policy not published, but the unpublished policy seems to have changed "back and forth" several times. If you click on the up arrow below, you will be taken to that thread.

The two posts above are from June 9th and June 10th, when the policy seems to have been different than it is today.

@Disneyepcot and @PrincessDuck have you confirmed that your points will still be extended now that the policy appears to have changed?
Although it might be better not to call until August and then if MS tells you your points are not eligible, you could argue at that time your points should be "grandfathered in" for the extension based on what you were told in June

ETA: It is especially frustrating because we already went through this in late May. The two posts below from May 31st reported the policy was not to extend 2018 banked points that would have otherwise qualified if they had later been used for a new reservation. Then sometime in the second week of June the policy was changed to extend those points. Now it appears to have changed back to not extending those points. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I can live with whatever DVC decides, they just need to make a decision, publish the details of that decision, and apply it to all members whose points are in the same situation. It should not depend on whether you called May 31st , June 10th, or June 18th.

@vnovabri we were in the same boat. I called weekly and spoke to a couple supervisors and there was zero bend in any of them. We finally had our July Aulani trip cancelled but it has been maddening to watch DVC slowly cancel things only 1-2 weeks out at a time.

@Sandisw is the first week of that UY for the extension basically "unusable" that you've seen/read? We were hoping to use the extended points to bridge some dates going from August in Sept with a Sept UY

They will not show up until the first week of the month so if you have September days as part of a reservation there is a good chance you won’t have them in order to use them to replace what you have booked,

I would certainly call and see if there is anything they can do. But, I had to cancel a trip next weekend and had points because it is before park opening that she said may be eligible to be saved come first week in August once they expire. They are 2019 UY points and only 15...and had been told they would not so i don’t know for sure. But she was clear that none of the extended points get moved until they expire. And, thst is what happened with June UY...the 2018 points weren’t available until around the 10th...and can only be used by calling.

I am in the same boat! Sept use year - 2018 points banked into 2019. Even if they would extend them til November I won’t use them - I’m too old (so they say) and one daughter is immunocompromised. So I’ll be having a farewell party on August 31 for my 106 points. I’d invite you all - but you know - social distancing and all that !

Have you considered RCI for those 106 points? Well, only 100 will be able to be deposited. We have exactly 100 Sept UY points from 2018 that we banked into 2019 for our cancelled May 2020 trip. There's no way that we can use them by Nov 30, 2020. We don't want to use RCI, but it would be better than nothing. I wish we could have got something out of them at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!